• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

April and Beyond is up

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Relique du Madde said:
Sorry WoTC, but I expected better from you. If this is the direction that you are taking 4e and it's online content, then you are DEAD to me. I really enjoyed playing your game, but now PIAZO is looking so much sweeter.

Tell it on the mountain Relique!

-DM Jeff

JeffB

Legend
Yeesh. That was awful.

Does anyone really care about the "Gamer Lifestyle" stuff? Seriously? Didn't that kind of thing constantly get tried in Dragon over 30 years and got canned each and every time after a short run? Silicon Sorcery? Movie Reviews, etc etc. Heck, even Fantasy Fiction in Dragon has always been a hotly contested topic.

Not to mention that garbage got tacked onto a "preview" article.

Someone got paid to do all that?

:lol:

an_idol_mind

Explorer
JeffB said:
Does anyone really care about the "Gamer Lifestyle" stuff? Seriously? Didn't that kind of thing constantly get tried in Dragon over 30 years and got canned each and every time after a short run? Silicon Sorcery? Movie Reviews, etc etc. Heck, even Fantasy Fiction in Dragon has always been a hotly contested topic.

Or, for a more recent example, check out the "Gamer's Rant on Movies" in KoDT that has become the source of endless griping.

It seems that WotC is trying pretty hard to promote the idea of a gaming subculture. The idea is probably that such a group will help them sell a wider variety of products across their lines. I personally think it will be more likely to marginalize gamers even further in society, but I don't get paid to do that kind of research.

JeffB

Legend
an_idol_mind said:
It seems that WotC is trying pretty hard to promote the idea of a gaming subculture.

GLEEMAX def gives off a " This is our Gamer version of MySpace" vibe, so I'd tend to agree with that statement.

I seriously wonder about WOTC's business strategy anymore :lol:

Simplicity

Explorer
I should write these columns.

Gamer Lifestyle by Failey McFailerson.

Mass Effect! Teh awesome. You shoot, you run, you get girl on alien girl love stories.

Did you hear the new Star Trek movie has that guy from Shaun of the Dead? And that other guy from Harold and Kumar? And that guy from Heroes? That's pretty sweet.

Books. I has them. But I do not have the next George RR Martin book, because he spends too much time watching football, and not enough time writing books.

Tune in next time to hear more about 4th edition!

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm really not interested in reading movie reviews on the WotC site. There's thousands of other sites doing that already! If I'm looking at the WotC site, it is because I am interested in things related to WotC products and D&D.

It would be (slightly) better if they pointed out movies that inspired them to, say, steal the plot for an adventure and write an outline for that. But as it is it's totally useless.

It's not the author's fault, though. He's just writing what he's supposed to write about...

Vocenoctum

First Post
Jhaelen said:
I'm really not interested in reading movie reviews on the WotC site. There's thousands of other sites doing that already! If I'm looking at the WotC site, it is because I am interested in things related to WotC products and D&D.

It would be (slightly) better if they pointed out movies that inspired them to, say, steal the plot for an adventure and write an outline for that. But as it is it's totally useless.

It's not the author's fault, though. He's just writing what he's supposed to write about...

Movie reviews on the site are fine, but seriously, it's the internet. You're not saving page space by combining articles. If they posted film reviews to their own article, they could then track how many people actually care.

Thurbane

First Post
The page just reeks of lack of anything useful to post, mainly due to the yawning void of product release between the end of 3.5 and beginning of 4E.

I'll echo what others have said: dump the "gamer lifestyle" filler. If I want a movie of video game review, I won't be looking for them on the WotC D&D website (unless, of course, they were a D&D movie or video game). :p

Dark Mistress

First Post
Wish i could say i am disapointed. But of late this is more and more what I have started to come to expect from WotC. Don't get me wrong it was god awful, I just wasn't remotely surprised by it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads