• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

APS - Divine Sorcerer

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Design Goal: Create an alternative power source option for each source/class combination. These will maintain the feel of the original class while giving them an exotic appeal with a few changed abilities/features. Each class gives tips and suggestions on how to make the character feel more like the alternate power source without sacrificing (too much) power. Take the psionic barbarian, for example. It suggests that the barbarian character wield a staff to take advantage of it as an implement with the provided powers (which also allow other weapons at a cost). A staff is not usually an optimal weapon for a barbarian, but it functions as one just fine. With the option, you can also use it to greater effect as an implement, which ties in nicely if you multiclass into something like monk, or even wizard.

Why?: Better story tie-ins for some characters. Alternate Power Sources allows better blending into multiclass or hybrid. Alternatively, it gives the character a way to act like a class of a different power source without actually multiclassing/using hybrid.

Rules Clarification: The only way to gain the features/powers explained are half-elf Dilletante or choose the alternate power source class. The class features and traits are balanced against each other. Ultimately, such classes will have their own hybrid and multiclass options which would open up the original class powers while granting the reflavored power/feature.
Example: Because you are still a barbarian, you cannot multiclass into psionic barbarian to get the weakened Indomitable Will class feature. Similarly a hybrid barbarian cannot also hybrid psionic barbarian or choose Indomitable Will (hybrid) as a hybrid talent option.

SORCERER, DIVINE

[FONT=&quot]Sorcerers are an interesting lot. They are the foci of the chaotic and powerful forces of the universe. While most sorcerers may draw power from the elemental chaos or an innate understanding, the divine sorcerer is a gateway into the world for his patron deity.
[/FONT]
[sblock=MODIFIED CLASS TRAITS]Replace the appropriate text from the Sorcerer Class Traits in the PH2 with the following.

Power Source: [FONT=&quot]Divine. Your innate talents are inborn from the gods of your homeland. [/FONT]The power of the divine infuses your being, coming as naturally to you as eating or sleeping.

Implements: Holy symbols, staffs

Trained Skills: Religion. From the sorcerer class skill list, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.

Class Features: Divine Magic[/sblock]
[sblock=DIVINE SORCERER CLASS FEATURES] [FONT=&quot]Sorcerers able to tap into divine power trade in their daggers for holy symbols. They also use a different source of power than arcane sorcerers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Divine Magic (Spell Source)[/FONT]
Choose a sorcerer spell source class feature which relies upon Strength. This class feature counts as that feature when a power would benefit from it. In addition, you gain the following.
Divine Power: You gain a bonus to the damage rolls of divine prayers equal to your Strength modifier. The bonus increases to your Strength modifier + 2 at 11th level and your Strength modifier + 4 at 21st level.
Divine Resistance: While you are not wearing heavy armor, you can use your Strength modifier in place of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier to determine your AC.
God-Blooded Soul: You gain resist 5 radiant and resist 5 necrotic. The resistance increases to 10 at 11th level and 15 at 21st level. If you already resist radiant or necrotic damage, increase that value by 5 instead.
Channel Divinity: You gain your god’s channel divinity feat as a bonus feat. Once per encounter, on a natural d20 roll of 16 or higher, you can use that channel divinity power as a free action.[/sblock][sblock=DIVINE SORCERER POWERS] The divine sorcerer has access to all sorcerer powers, which become prayers. You can also choose the following powers which give you a more distinct identity as an divine class.

Sorcerous Smite Divine Sorcerer Attack 1
[FONT=&quot]You bring vengeance to life in your hand and hurl it at a guilty target.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At-will [/FONT][FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Divine, Implement, Radiant[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Standard Action Ranged [/FONT][FONT=&quot]10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Target:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] One creature[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attack:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Charisma vs. Fortitude[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hit:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage. If a bloodied ally is adjacent to the target, the attack deals extra radiant damage equal to your Strength modifier.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Level 21: 2d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Special:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You can use this power as a ranged basic attack.[/FONT]

Light of Truth Divine Sorcerer Attack 1
[FONT=&quot]You are known well by enemies who have tried to get away from you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Encounter [/FONT][FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Divine, Implement, Radiant[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Attack:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Charisma vs. Reflex[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hit:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Divine Magic:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you rolled a natural 16-20 on the attack roll, the target is also weakened until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]

Channel Divinity: Divine ConduitDivine Sorcerer Utility 2
[FONT=&quot]You open yourself up to your deity and channel the raw energy of the gods.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Encounter [/FONT][FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Divine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minor Action Personal[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Effect:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You gain a bonus to your next attack roll before the end of your next turn equal to your Strength modifier. That attack can score a critical hit on a natural 19 or 20.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Special:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] You can expend this power to use another channel divinity power instead.[/FONT]

Improved Light of Truth Divine Sorcerer Attack 13
[FONT=&quot]You are known well by enemies who have tried to get away from you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Encounter [/FONT][FONT=&quot]*[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Divine, Implement, Radiant[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hit:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]
Aftereffect: The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
[FONT=&quot]Divine Magic:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you rolled a natural 16-20 on the attack roll, the target is also weakened until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]

Greater Light of Truth Divine Sorcerer Attack 13
[FONT=&quot]Hit:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 3d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.[/FONT]
Aftereffect: The target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
[FONT=&quot]Divine Magic:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you rolled a natural 16-20 on the attack roll, the target is also weakened until the end of your next turn.[/FONT][/sblock]As always, I appreciate any thoughts/feelings on these. I'll post another one tomorrow after I finish formatting. Gonna work through each available power source/class, and I'm willing to take requests.

Here are The Arcane Barbarian, The Divine Barbarian, The Martial Barbarian and The Psionic Barbarian, more alternate power source options.

Last edited:

Moonsword

First Post
Definitely a keeper. I like it and will definitely keep it in mind. Forcefeeding it to the Character Builder might be a bit difficult (they need to open the data structure to allow user input of class elements directly, or at least provide a better editing interface), but worth the trouble.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Definitely a keeper. I like it and will definitely keep it in mind. Forcefeeding it to the Character Builder might be a bit difficult (they need to open the data structure to allow user input of class elements directly, or at least provide a better editing interface), but worth the trouble.

Character Builders limits in creating custom stuff is starting to annoy me, being a programmer one of the things that happens when we get annoyed is we write a new program... 

i am tempted to create a new program for building characters which has full customization... avoiding copyright would make it so much work. That it wouldnt be worth it however...sigh perhaps we can give a big feature request list to wotc.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
cool, glad you like it. I'm rounding out a couple more that I'll probably post a little later today.

Cwheeler

First Post
Great Idea. I've been loving this series of experiments.

Are you planning on posting them all in the one place when you're done?

One bit of feedback on the Divine Sorcerer:

I'd (personally) change the flavor text of the power source from:
You learn to channel these powers over time through prayer and meditation.

To something a little bit more "The power of the divine infuses your being, coming as naturally to you as eating or sleeping", or "The divine spark sits within you, ready to flare into flame at any moment".

One of the core elements of the Sorcerer (for me) is the idea that these talents come to them innately, sometimes unexpectedly or unwelcome. Perhaps the Divine Sorcerer is less someone who prays for their power, and more of a rare individual who has divinity in their blood.

Looking forwards to seeing the rest :).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Great Idea. I've been loving this series of experiments.

Are you planning on posting them all in the one place when you're done?

One bit of feedback on the Divine Sorcerer:

I'd (personally) change the flavor text of the power source from:

To something a little bit more "The power of the divine infuses your being, coming as naturally to you as eating or sleeping", or "The divine spark sits within you, ready to flare into flame at any moment".

One of the core elements of the Sorcerer (for me) is the idea that these talents come to them innately, sometimes unexpectedly or unwelcome. Perhaps the Divine Sorcerer is less someone who prays for their power, and more of a rare individual who has divinity in their blood.

Looking forwards to seeing the rest :).

I agree one hundred percent you have the flavor down better with this .. the divine sorcerors connection to a palidan becomes more pointed ;-) Hybrid versions anyone?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll do so.

I can post my hybrid copies in one post if you like garth. I was going to wait until i'd finished the lot before doing so. The final pdf will also have them all, including multiclass.

Cwheeler

First Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll do so.

I can post my hybrid copies in one post if you like garth. I was going to wait until i'd finished the lot before doing so. The final pdf will also have them all, including multiclass.

Awesome :). A whole pdf of APS, with hybrid and multiclass? You just made my day.

Any plans on doing some paragon paths?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Eh, I'm not so sure about paragon paths. I like the idea of taking your divine sorcerer and putting it into an "any divine class" paragon path, though. That, more than its own paragon path, feels like you're really a member of the power source. A personalized paragon path would feel forced, imho, like you have to take it to flesh yourself out as this source.

Cwheeler

First Post
Fair enough. The one problem that I can see with taking any paragon path of your power source is finding something that dovetails nicely with your class abilities.. not sure how much of a problem or a limitation this would be, but it could definitely be a factor.

In some cases, I think a simple APS re-theming could work with a classes existing paragon paths. "Divine Font" anyone?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads