• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aquatic/Nautical Rules?

Pariah

First Post
I'm going to be starting an aquatic/seafaring campaign, and I feel more comfortable if I have many a sourcebook laying open around me...

So my question is: Is there a comprehensive list of different d20 rules systems that have come out for aquatic campaigns?

I know about the Seafaring Adventures by AEG, but I have one problem with it, and that is the fact that the magical restrictions are a bit too much. I like every option to be there for my players.

So anyone else doing seafaring campaigns in the 3e D&D vein? Perhaps maybe someone has a website that has good source references? or a "Top Ten" list?

Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Terramotus

First Post
Well, I'm actually running a pseudo sea campaign right now. If nothing else, the ship is the base of operations for the players. When I was doing prep, I did a lot of looking into nautical mechanics - the best stuff I found was the vehicle combat stuff in Dragon 294 and the Seafarer's Handbook.

Now, the first question I think you need to ask yourself is... how much control do your players have over the running of the ship? Is one the captain? If so, you really need to get into the rules of how maneuvering the ship works. I found Dragon 294 to be most useful in that regard. The Seafarer's Handbook had some good stuff, but it made up too many new rules that went against the spirit of a lot of d&d rules. For instance, instead of upping the damage of siege weaponry, it added a rule that siege weapons also get to roll for strength breakage. To me, it made ships too flimsy. But anyway...

If you don't need to, I would recommend not getting too deep into the ship's movement mechanics. If the players aren't controlling the ship, don't worry overmuch about it. Just keep an eye towards realism and just tell the players what happens. As long as it makes sense, my players haven't had any problems. Just keep in mind the movement rates and the hit points of various parts of the ship.

The movement rates in Dragon 294 are reasonable (I actually did some research on sailing ships and converted. I believe they were slightly on the slow side for top speed, but still good enough). The rules in Dragon are quick and dirty type rules anyway

Also, the Seafarer's Handbook's ship construction rules produced ships remarkably similar to the ones in Dragon, so I've used it as a guideline for creating any ships.

Hope this helps some.

Pariah

First Post
Ok, that's one I haven't gotten yet.. going to Amazon to buy Seafarer's HB now.

Eventually, the players, I think, should own their own ship.. that gives them a vulnerability that can (and will) be used as a plot device from time to time :D

Thanks for the advice!

saFire

First Post
"Broadsides!" is a really good seafaring sourcebook. It has good navigation rules, lotsa stuff about different types of ships, prestige classes, nautical tools, etc. My brother bought it for a campaign that we haven't really gotten around to yet but i read through it, and I think it's well worth it to get.

Remove ads