[Aquerra Player's Guide Preview] I Just rolled a d20!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It is important to note that in the Aquerra setting each priesthood has its own spell list - thus in spell descriptions a spell's level might be listed as "Anhur 4" - This means for priests of Anhur it is a 4th level spell.

Anyway, Henry here it is:

-----------------------------------------
Bless the Legion by: Eric Minton
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Anhur 3, Krauchaar 4, Paladin of Anhur 4, Paladin of Horus 4, War 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 250 ft.
Area: All allies within 250 ft.
Duration: 10 minutes / level

As bless, but with a greatly increased duration and area of effect. Cancels all hostile bane spells in its area of effect when cast, and hostile bane spells fail if cast within its area of effect.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
You guys are all choosing spells I didn't write :(

That's what I get for grabbing a sections of the spreadsheet we use to keep track of all spells randomly.

Anyway, for P.Kitty - a bard spell:

--------------------------------------------------------

Unwieldy Rhythm by: Eric Minton
Enchantment (Compulsion)
Level: Bard 2
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

By synchronizing your music with an opponent’s movements, you create a connection that you can use to disrupt the rhythm of his or her movements in combat. Upon casting this spell, you continue to sing or play your instrument while watching the target. Starting on your initiative during the next round, the target gets a Will save to avoid becoming attuned to your music. If the save is failed, you may adjust the rhythm of your music to throw off the target’s timing, causing him or her to suffer a –4 competence penalty to AC and attack rolls. While you are concentrating on maintaining the spell, you may take no other actions other than normal movement, and you must continue singing or playing for the duration of the spell; if the music stops, the spell ends.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The Aquerra Player' Guide has the rules for the Aquerra version of the Wild Mage - and includes a number of wild magic spells which are learnable only by that class. These spells almost always involve an adjustable die roll for a variety of effects with varying levels of success.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lur-Esseb’s Call to the Crackling Flame By: Eric Minton
Conjuration (Summoning) [Fire, Wild]
Level: Wild 4
Components: V, S, F
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: A fire source
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object)

When cast upon a flame, this spell opens an unstable connection to the Elemental Plane of Fire. If the fire is larger than 20 feet square, treat a 20-foot square section of it as the target of the spell. Fire-based creatures gain a Fortitude save against the spell.

To determine the effect of the spell, roll a d20 on the following table. If you are at least 10th level, you may add or subtract 1 from your roll.

Up to 4: You reverse the flow of energies. The target flame goes out, as do all other flames within 50 feet of it. Everyone within 10 feet of the target takes 2d4 cold damage. If the target of the spell is a fire creature, it takes an additional 2 damage per caster level.
5-8: You fumble the magic. The target flame goes out, with no other effect. If the target of the spell is a fire creature, it takes 1 damage per caster level.
9-11: A column of brilliant sparks leaps out of the fire. This has the same effects as the fireworks from of a pyrotechnics spell.
12-14: The flames explode outward, with the effect of a fireball spell appropriate to your caster level
15-18: You summon a small fire elemental.
19-20: You summon a salamander.
21+: You summon a medium-sized fire elemental.

If you summon an elemental, the DM secretly rolls a d10 on the following chart to determine its reaction, adding your Charisma modifier to the roll. If you summoned a salamander, the roll is at –2.

2 or less: Hostile
3-5: Unfriendly
6-8: Indifferent
9-10: Friendly
11+: Helpful

Focus: A fire.

How about Banner of Anhur.

Funny how the spells that include the name of the creator or his/her nation sound cooler than the spells that simply are descriptive of their respective effects.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
One of my favorites - oh and I want to take this moment to thank Eric Minton (aka Cairan) for all his help and contributions. We talk out these spells all day at work ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

Banner of Anhur By: Eric Minton
Evocation [Good, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Anhur 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: One banner
Duration: 10 minutes / level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell imbues a specially prepared banner with the power of Anhur. The banner sheds a white radiance that illuminates a 60-foot radius area. This radiance has the same effects as a daylight spell with regard to creatures that are adversely affected by sunlight, and dispels any darkness-inducing magics of 4th level or less with which it comes into contact. Allies within the illuminated area gain a +2 sacred bonus to all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws and skill checks, while enemies within that area have a –2 sacred penalty to all such rolls. In addition, all allies within line of sight of the banner, no matter how great the distance, gain a +2 morale bonus to saving throws versus fear effects. The spell ends immediately if the banner touches the ground, no matter how much of the duration remains.

Focus: A banner sewn with gold and silver thread, affixed to a finely crafted spear or lance capped with an ankh (the holy symbol of Anhur), the whole being worth at least 500 sp.

William Ronald

Explorer
Defensive Manifestation of Spirit and Warrior's Narrative both sound interesting. By the way, interesting spells.

When is the Aquerra's Players Guide coming out?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This one is for you Mr. Ronald - The first spell by me :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive Manifestation of the Spirit
Necromancy
Level: Wizard 3
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Duration: 1 minute / level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows you to transform a portion of your own life essence into a spiritual armor, which is visible as an aura of very soft glowing light. This light does not appreciably affect sight or vision. The spirit armor grants you a +6 armor bonus, and a +3 resistance bonus to all saving throws versus spells and spell-like effects that manifest themselves physically (for example, fire, cold, force, etc…). This armor does not hinder movement, effect encumbrance or apply any chance of arcane failure.
At the end of the spell’s duration the aura dissipates and you temporarily lose that portion of your life essence. You must make a Fortitude save against DC 15 or temporarily lose 1d4 points of Constitution.

William Ronald

Explorer
Vey interesting spell. This is a necromantic spell that actually can help other party members -- at a potentially high price. (It might be very useful if someone is stripped of his armor a la the climax of the old Slaver series. Ah, the joys of using undergarments as make shift weapons. I still chuckle over how the priestess in our group made a slingshot -- and told us to stay behind her or else.):D

By the way, when should we expect to see the Players Guide on the shelves of better hobby shops.?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I replied to this last night - but the boards were wonky so I guess my post never went through.

The Aquerra Player's Guide should be available in PDF form (downloadbale for a small as-of-yet undetermined price) in Mid-June 2002 (I keep pushing it back - but there are have been little (and a little bigger than little) tweaks I have need to do over time).

If that does well, I plan to do a limited print run of the book with more art.

The Aquerra Gamemaster's Guide and Gazeteer should be out in 2003.

Remove ads