• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane caster level x-th ?

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Are there any clear statements concerning Arcane caster level x- th?
I looked it up in the CA and could not find it. :]

I was just wondering whether you have to archiev x-th level in a single class or if you could gather them from multiple classes.

Example given: Does a Bard 2 / Wizard 3 match the requirements for an arcane caster lvl 5th?

Did I just miss something there or is my english not good enough to sort that out?

Glad for any assistance,
Sue

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Sue Bloodbucket said:
I was just wondering whether you have to archiev x-th level in a single class or if you could gather them from multiple classes.

Example given: Does a Bard 2 / Wizard 3 match the requirements for an arcane caster lvl 5th?

No - he has a caster level of 2 as a Bard, and 3 as a Wizard.

If he has the Practised Spellcaster feat for one of those classes, that class would have a caster level of 5.

-Hyp.

Scharlata

First Post
Sue Bloodbucket said:
[...] Example given: Does a Bard 2 / Wizard 3 match the requirements for an arcane caster lvl 5th? [...]

Hi, Sue!

No, it does not. ;o) The bard has a separate caster level from the wizard, as any class has a separate caster level, unless the description says otherwise [most often prestige classes grant this privilege].

In your case, the multiclass bard-part has an arcane caster level of 2 and the multiclass wizard-part has an arcane caster level of 3. They don't stack.

If your multiclass bard/wizard were an multiclass cleric/wizard that had gained levels in the mystic theurge (see DMG) prestige class, the level of the MT PrC would stack with either cleric and wizard class for the purpose of determining caster level(s).

Just one exception comes to my mind: The caster level of sorcerer and wizard stack for the purpose of determining the "power" of a familiar.

Kind regards aus Köln

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scharlata said:
Just one exception comes to my mind: The caster level of sorcerer and wizard stack for the purpose of determining the "power" of a familiar.

No, the class level of sorcerer and wizard stack for the purpose of determining the "power" of a familiar.

Caster level is irrelevant in that case.

-Hyp.

Scharlata

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
No, the class level of sorcerer and wizard stack for the purpose of determining the "power" of a familiar.

Caster level is irrelevant in that case.

Better listen to Überschlumpf :)

Normally the caster level of a sorcerer or wizard IS his class level...

Kind regards

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Scharlata said:
Normally the caster level of a sorcerer or wizard IS his class level...

Normally.

But if he has a PrC that increases caster level, that has no effect on his familiar's abilities.

If he has an ioun stone that increases caster level, that has no effect on his familiar's abilities.

If he's multiclassed but has the Practised Spellcaster feat, his caster level will be higher than his class level, but that has no effect on his familiar's abilities.

-Hyp.

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Ok everybody!
That is what i call a closed case.
Thanks for the informations pals.

yours
Sue

Oh... it surely must be Uberschlumpf instead of Überschlumpf because all these fragile little dots on top of capitalized letters would have fallen off down along the way to new zealand

Remove ads