Arcane netflix series

MarkB

Legend
I hadn't bothered watching it, simply because it was apparently a spin-off of a game I had no experience of, until I heard a couple of very positive mentions of it in this forum.

I'm still working my way through it, but yes, it holds up very well on its own, and is a well-told story with a distinctive art/animation style.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
The art! The more I look, the more impressed I am. Not just gorgeous backdrops, or fantastic character detail. But the animation is mind-blowing! Heads move naturally in conversation, bodies move and clothes sway when people stand still. I'd guess that they motion captured every performance, or rotoscoped or the like. Which is utterly ridiculous dedication to verisimilitude... or it would be if it didn't make such a huge difference in the quality of the drama and acting!

I also came in with no knowledge of League of Legends but I enjoyed it anyway. There were some moments where it seemed like they were making in-jokes and references to the game that went over my head but it didn't detract from the show. The artwork throughout is great and the setting is an artificer's dream.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I've never so much as seen a screenshot of League of Legends before, but gave Arcane a shot anyway. I'm glad I did, as the show was shockingly good; the characters, plot, music, and animation style were all excellent, and I found myself wanting more quite badly when it ended.

Remove ads