• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Power: How long before the pirated copy appears

How long before the pirated copy hits the torrents

• 1 day

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • 2-3 days

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • 4-5 days

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • a week

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • two weeks

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • three weeks

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • a month

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • longer than a month

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lemon curry/no idea

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Poll closed .

catsclaw227

First Post
I would venture to guess that searching will give you some generated links for Usenet or FullDLLs.com or something else that means absolutely nothing. These aren't real links, they are generated by the search system and are there to draw you in to subscribe and then you blunder around looking like everyone else.

I knew someone who did some programming for fulldlls.com and said that these kinds of links are bogus. They are bait to get new paying subscribers.

Kask

First Post
I would venture to guess that searching will give you some generated links for Usenet or FullDLLs.com or something else that means absolutely nothing.

Yes, those are always bogus. I think most people already know that though. It is funny to see so many new people on this thread. ROLF

Kask

First Post
I don't think it counts as "hitting the torrents" if it shared between 10 people in a private OneSwarm torrent :p. I'm guessing the author referred to when the file hits the mainstream torrents.

Hmm, I don't think 25 seeds & 134 peers is exactly like a private OneSwarm torrent. I could be wrong though as I don't download much...

CardinalXimenes

First Post
Hmm, I don't think 25 seeds & 134 peers is exactly like a private OneSwarm torrent.
If an ostensibly expert navigator of darknet private file exchanges is capable of finding only about 25 people sharing an unverified file more than 24 hours after the book officially went on sale, I believe the analysis that WotC will draw from this is "We won."

Of course the file will appear on the casual pirate sites. But I hold in my hands a copy of Arcane Power, ordered for $20 from Amazon with standard shipping, delivered before any pirate PDF is available. Every potential customer like me, who wants to have the book within a day or two of its release, will be able to draw the conclusion that they can either get it for sure by laying down $20 or they can wait an indeterminate amount of time for an inferior scan to show up. This is in of itself an enormous win for WotC compared to the recent business, where it was actually _faster_ to get the pirate PDF than it was to hit the LGS or bookstore on the day of release.

Obryn

Hero
Yes, there are parts of the net that aren't for the masses.
You're one wacky alleged marketing executive!

Yep, it does.
To what? Ego?

WotC is trying (likely in vain, but trying) to pull in greater sales on their physical books. If a private group, primarily visited by dedicated pirates, has copies floating around their personal server, WotC's potential financial risk is essentially zero.

-O

Kask

First Post
Of course the file will appear on the casual pirate sites. But I hold in my hands a copy of Arcane Power,...

I too am very happy to see that it isn't plastered around. I want WotC to makes lots of money on material they are willing to sell to the public...

Other material, I don't care about.

Remove ads