• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Power- Wizards Stretched Thin

exile

First Post
I've not read Arcane Power closely enough to comment in great detail. I am looking forward to making a summoner type character. I like the new tome implement and that there are two mastery abilities associated with it (there's a new one for the orb as well). Fire Shield is a nice little utility power for my fire-themed dwarven wizardess. All in all, very happy with the book.

Even though I started this thread (in a possibly negative way), I don't think there's some secret agenda against wizards or anything like that, but it does seem, at a glance, that their feats do have higher ability score requirements than the other classes.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Ugh, seriously. The last Tuesday of every month is not doing it for me. Why not the first Tuesday after the awesome new book comes out? Where by "first Tuesday" I mean "within six seconds".

The last Tuesday of the month usually is the first Tuesday after the book comes out. New books usually come out on the third Tuesday of the month.

To answer the question of why not immediately? Simple. They want the highly important first week sales. People who want immediate gratification buy the book. Otherwise you've got to wait.

chaotix42

First Post
That is sweet.

Hell yeah! And it's 9th level too.

In general, illusionists seem like some of the best controllers around. The effects of each power are rather straightforward, with no DM fiat required. You could take illusion spells at every level possible and be quite effective IMO.

I only think wizards are stretched thin now because of all the cool stuff to take! B-)

In general, illusionists seem like some of the best controllers around. The effects of each power are rather straightforward, with no DM fiat required. You could take illusion spells at every level possible and be quite effective IMO.

I only think wizards are stretched thin now because of all the cool stuff to take! B-)
Strange that it used to be the other way around.

What would a DM allow with "Major Image"? Nobody knew until they tried. ;)

amysrevenge

First Post
Tell me more about Arcane Power!

What stands out, what grabs your attention, what do you *definitely* want to retrain for your wizard?

I found that the Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies were far more interesting that those in Martial Power. I have 4 arcane PCs (I play RPGA so I have many PCs), and found things in there to interest all of them. Although, some of the Epic Destiny "when you die" effects are so good that it would be tempting to suicide just to activate them lol.

I like that they included powers for Wizards with extra kickers for orb/wand/staff/tome class features, just like every other class has.

I like that there are many more Con-based Warlock powers to choose from (gives me hope for Paladins in Divine Power).

I enjoy the idea of familiars. I will have to wait and see how useful they actually are in my games, and how much they will be just another set of static bonuses.

I like the new Ranged weapon path for bards. I won't likely ever use it, but it is an enjoyable option to have.

A little thing, but there is a feat out there for Eladrin wizards that lets you use your unused Fey Step to instead teleport an ally out of the area of one of your spells before the attack goes off - I thought that one was super fun.

Things that make me go "meh*":

The new Warlock pact, Sorcerer sources, and Wizard tome implement. Meh.

Summoning, in general. Meh.

*I reserve the right to retract any "meh" in the future, these are just first impressions.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!

As long as you don't do "Against the Duergar" followed by "Against the Cyclops" :)

Remove ads