• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Trcikster and......a cleric?

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Can a Rogue 4/Cleric 5 qualify to begin the arcane trickster PrC? Only if a domain spell (from the arcane spell list) counts as "at least one arcane spell", but I find this highly doubtful. Aren't domain spells granted by their gods and therefore divine spells?? Ack, that's confusing.

gfunk

First Post
Dash Dannigan said:
Aren't domain spells granted by their gods and therefore divine spells?? Ack, that's confusing.

You are correct. Sometimes a Cleric can cast certain spells on the Sorcerer/Wizard list via his Domains. By the same token a Bard or Eldritch Master (PrC, Dragon #280) can cast spells on the Cleric list. However, the spell type does not change.

So a Cure Light Wounds is divine when cast by a Cleric and arcane when cast by a Bard.

Sejs

First Post
Technically, no a cleric / rogue can't qualify for Arcane Trickster, because of the Mage Hand, and arcane spell requirements.

However! It's really easy to make some very minor changes to the PrC and make a Divine Trickster. Make "Must be able to cast Mage Hand" into "Required Domain: Trickery", and "3rd level arcane spells" into "3rd level divine spells".

Presto, changeo. Cleric / Rogue / Divine Trickster.

Edit: Oh yeah, uh, do run it by your DM first. ^_^

Last edited:

Dash Dannigan

First Post
My thoughts as well Sejs! A Divine Trickster would work equally well, and the Trcikery Domain as a requirement is a good idea, thanks!

Though the Halruaan Regional Feat of Magical Training (FRCS) gives a character the ability to cast mage hand. The only I had missing was that 3rd level arcane spell.

Thanks for the help guys.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads