• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer Prestige Classes

Mapleaxe

First Post
My wife plays a human fighter, currently 8th level, in my regular campaign. Her character is an archer-type (high dex, various "shot" feats). Lately she's been feeling inadequate in combat compared to some of the spellcasters and melee fighters in the group. Are there any prestige classes that she might want to consider to make her more useful? Arcane archer is out (not elven or magic using) and deepwoods archer isn't quite right for her character (too sneaky).

Taren Seeker

First Post
Mapleaxe said:
My wife plays a human fighter, currently 8th level, in my regular campaign. Her character is an archer-type (high dex, various "shot" feats). Lately she's been feeling inadequate in combat compared to some of the spellcasters and melee fighters in the group. Are there any prestige classes that she might want to consider to make her more useful? Arcane archer is out (not elven or magic using) and deepwoods archer isn't quite right for her character (too sneaky).

You need Archer power?

Silver Marches, Peerless Archer. PA with a bow, concealment reduc (which is a great synergy with Imp Prec Shot)...Pretty crazy stuff.

Mapleaxe

First Post
Taren Seeker said:
You need Archer power?

Silver Marches, Peerless Archer. PA with a bow, concealment reduc (which is a great synergy with Imp Prec Shot)...Pretty crazy stuff.

Is it well balanced?

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
I'm partial to Peerless Archer out of Silver Marches. Requires BAB of 7, 10 ranks of craft (bowmaking), proficiency in either longbow or shortbow (or composite types), Point Blank, Quickdraw, Far shot, & Precise shot. Class gives you ranged sneak attack, bonuses to craft (bowmaking), reduces cover and concealment penalties, allows you to fletch magic arrows, power attack for bows, and threaten like a reach weapon over the course of 10 levels.

Another option is "Order of the Bow Initiate" out of Sword and Fist. That class requires BAB of 5, 2 ranks of knowledge (religion), proficiency in either longbow or shortbow (or composite types), Point Blank, Rapid Shot, Precise shot, Weapon Focus & Weapon Specialization (longbow or shortbow or composite). It gives ranged sneak attack, no longer draws AoO from shooting a bow next to an enemy, Superior Weapon Focus & Superior Weapon Specialization, free attack on someone who provoked an AoO from an ally, Zen Archery feat, and the ability to bank a shot off a wall to treat an opponent as flat-footed.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Wow. while I was typing that up, someone responded Peerless Archer already.

The class isn't as powerful as it sounds. The ranged sneak attack is subject to within 30ft and flatfooted opponent, as per usual (doesn't happen very often in game I played one in). The fletching takes time and xp (and archers go through arrows real fast). And just like Power Attack, Power Shot does seriously reduce your ability to hit if overdone.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Run... do not walk... over to RPGNow.com and pick up a copy of "Three Arrows for the King" post haste. (Link is right here). IMO, this is far and away the best "archer book" out there, bar none.

There is also some stuff in Librum Equitis Compiled if you're interested... I can think of at least three classes of the top of my head in this one that have archer stuff.

--The Sigil

Voadam

Legend
I'll second the librum equitis suggestion.

Military archer is a great easy to get into prestige class, it basically gives 3/4 BAB but bonuses with bows only that make you more accurate than a straight fighter when you use your bow. The elven one in our 3.0 party never missed with his bow, even against grossly high AC monsters. He switched over to straight ranger in 3.5 though because it better fit his character concept.

greymarch

First Post
Stick to prestige classes from official WoTC material. 3rd party stuff, and stuff from fan-boy internet sites, are rarely balanced.

The four big prestige classes for a D&D archer are:

1. Deepwood sniper, from the Masters of the Wild sourcebook.
2. Peerless Archer, from the Silver Marches Forgotten Realms accessory.
3. Order of the Bow Initiate, from the Swords and Fist sourcebook
4. Arcane archer, from the DMG.

Out of those 4, I would say that the Deepwood sniper is the best, followed closely by the Peerless archer. Order of the Bow Initiate is decent, but Arcane Archer, especially using 3.5 rules, is lousy.

Remove ads