• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archivist help... Redux

paqqy

First Post
I had previously asked for some help with suggestions for playing an Archivist who might have had to multiclass due to some backstory elements. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-3rd-edition-rules/269597-archivist-cleric-help.html)

Well, it turns out that I was trying to optimize him with the use of three books, according to the DM rule that we were to use 2-3 books. It turns out that now we are only allowed TWO books (aside from PHB, DMG, and MM1) while the 3rd seems to be a choice in limbo and is equally as likely to happen as it is likely *not* to happen. What sucks the most is that playing the Archivist means that I automatically forfeit 1 book, leaving me with only 1 book other than the core books for my character options. And the Archivist class really seems to flourish (and dominate) with the use of (at least) three additional books, Complete Divine, Complete Champion, and Spell Compendium.

So, I come back to you, dear forum, for some help.

My possible books: Complete Champion, Complete Divine, Spell Compendium. My analysis so far is as follows:

The Spell Compendium is good for grabbing spells from Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger spells and some nice domain spells, but with the ability to copy only a few new spells per level and no sure guarantee that I will be finding many scrolls, this might *not* be the most optimal use of a book. Also, there are no prestige classes or feats available in the Spell Compendium, which leaves me with only PHB feats, which I generally don't find all too helpful.

Divine: Contemplative for Domain Access and Sacred Exorcist for Turning Ability + DMM (Quicken or Extend?). Some OK spells to add to my spellbook.

Champion: Knowledge Devotion feat for attack bonuses based on Knowledge checks, Trickery Devotion feat for a simulacrum (RAW... sans errata), Lore of The Gods (second level spell that will give me a +10 to all my knowledge checks for 10 min/lvl, which include Dark Knowledge and Knowledge Devotion), plus a few scattered spells.

I'm also thinking that the further book restrictions put the archivist at a disadvantage... meaning that I may have to drop the Archivist altogether. There is a wiz/warlock going into eldritch theurge and a cleric in the party, the rest of the party are more melee (duskblade, hexblade, fighter, rogue). So an option might be Druid or Wizard (since the other arcan caster is stuck being 3 levels behind).

What do you guys think?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Bard doesn't look so crazy now, does it... :p

3 levels of monk + Cloistered Cleric, leading into Contemplative, is sexy as all get out AND functional. If you're min/maxing, there's little bad about this mix (except losing spells/day, yadda yadda you want domain powers anyway). Plus you can flurry with a quarterstaff. ;)

paqqy

First Post
Something else that I thought of was to go a totally different route with a Cleric 5 taking the Summoning domain and going malconvoker 10, then thaumaturge 5. He'll be a summoner who blasts while the baddies fend off the hordes.

I would only need Complete Scoundrel and Complete Divine. I might wvwn take Contemplative for an extra domain?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It sounds like you've given up on trying to make your original concept fit the class and opted for whatever seems cool. ;P What possible use does a bookworm have for summon/blasting other than his own amusement?

paqqy

First Post
It sounds like you've given up on trying to make your original concept fit the class and opted for whatever seems cool. ;P What possible use does a bookworm have for summon/blasting other than his own amusement?

Well the original concept of an XFiles bookworm fit the campaign so well that I couldn't help but take the Archivist once I saw it. I saw a definite use for him in a XFiles-ish campaign.... It was all that Dark Knowledge and access to any divine spell that intrigued me the most. It seemed perfect that this guy whose job in the organization is to read and manage all the XFiles would be able to put all that knowledge to use.

Since I'm so restricted (in terms of books), yeah, I've somewhat given up on the concept.

I could certainly go monk 3/CC, being LN to still be within a step of Boccob's alignment and fulfill the monk requirements. It's a pretty good fit. And as you mention, there is that drawback of losing a spell level and spells per day. That might not be a problem because we have a non-Multiclassing cleric. I could go Contemplative for a level for a domain and sacred exorcist for turning to fuel DMM. (That would make UE and CDiv my two books). Flavour-wise the character would be getting all this knowledge after being put into the job role of taking care of the archives. However, because we're starting at 3rd, this kind of defies the backstory element that I've had this job for a little while. If anything, I might be tempted to be monk 2/CC/Contemp/S.Exorc.

The idea for the malconvoker came from the Xfiles itself. Perhaps in reading the files, my character has come across this text that explains how to pull demons into binding contracts and put them to use for good. Or perhaps, my character is researching demons for the local church of Boccob as a way of maintaining balance in the world. Or the secret organization is itself researching how to use evil for the forces of good. The good thing about this route is that, because the character can transfer his previous skills to his new job, he completely circumvents the backstory multi-classy element. Another thing is that I'd like to add some flavor to the Malconvoker, if I take this route, that makes him less 'tricksy' and more like a judge or executioner... which might mean using Diplomacy or Intimidate in stead of Bluff. (CScound and CDiv)

The other option is to do Brd 1 / Archv X. This would allow me to max out those Knowledge skills that matter for monsters-fighting bonuses, but still leaves me with only 1 book from which to gather spells and feats besides the PHB and DMG. And I'm not sure which direction I'd take that character which such limited options... This would be the closest to my original plan for my PC, but that is possibly not as big of a concern as it once was. (Heroes of Horror and "?")

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Given that the original concept was a bookworm who dipped into another class to qualify for Divine Metamagic, I'm not sure it started too far from the cheese.

@ paqqy, you can do just fine as a plain-vanilla Archivist. Your two books are Heroes of Horror and Spell Compendium.

Alternately, Cloistered Cleric good, and quite similar in theme.

Good luck, -- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Well he would need Unearthed Arcana for Cloistered Cleric.
Which I think is not the best book to choose.
Clerics already win using their best book: the PHB. Everything else is gravy.

IMHO the Spell Compendium is enough gravy to cover pretty much any situation from a power perspective, so you have a free book slot to spend on flavor.

So, pick your flavor. You want to be an Archivist? Great, that's your second book: either Archivist or Cloistered Cleric. Both are good. The core Cleric is fine, too, but has fewer skill points.

Cheers, -- N

paqqy

First Post
Given that the original concept was a bookworm who dipped into another class to qualify for Divine Metamagic, I'm not sure it started too far from the cheese.

@ paqqy, you can do just fine as a plain-vanilla Archivist. Your two books are Heroes of Horror and Spell Compendium.

DMM was mostly to be able to quicken a buff in the first round (and perhaps another buff in the second round if I eventually took 'extra turning')... not for the normal persitent metamagic cheese which is perhaps too cheesy and broken.

As far as the spell compendium goes, I might have issues getting spells off of that. As you know, the archivist only gets a couple of new spells each level. If scrolls are as hard to come by as I think (either in treasure or from shops), do you think that SC might not be as great a choice?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If scrolls are hard to come by, I'd consider going Favored Soul so that I'd always have access to the spells I want.

Monk 2 would be more than adequate for your melee needs and treats. I only suggested the 3rd level to completely negate your flurry penalty (and +10 to move). Over all, Monk 2/CC/Contemp/SacEx would be a decent path to do everything you want. My only question is, how long will it be (ie how much real time) before you see this fine piece of art in action?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads