• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are componentless spells mental actions?

Gorgon

First Post
Do spells that have no components (V, S, M, or F/DF) through the use of Metamagic feats become pure mental actions for such things as being paralyzed?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gorgon said:
Do spells that have no components (V, S, M, or F/DF) through the use of Metamagic feats become pure mental actions for such things as being paralyzed?

Check the DMG condition summary.

I'm not sure about the 3.5 DMG, but the 3E DMG entry for 'paralyzed' stated:
"A paralyzed or held character cannot move, speak, or take any physical action. He is rooted to the spot, frozen and helpless. Not even friends can move his limbs. He may take purely mental actions, such as casting a spell with no components."

-Hyp.

drunkmoogle

First Post
SRD 3.5 said:
A paralyzed character cannot move, speak, or take any physical action. He is rooted to the spot, frozen and helpless. Not even friends can move his limbs. He may take purely mental actions, such as casting a spell with no components.

Confirmed whay Hyp said.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
drunkmoogle said:
Confirmed whay Hyp said.

Really? I didn't see the "spell with no components" in the SRD... I assumed it was one of those useful phrases in the DMG that gets left out of the SRD...

-Hyp.

Gez

First Post
The DMG was written by Monte Cook, and he uses the same mental action (but more clearly detailed) in his AU.

Remove ads