• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Ideas so far
  1. returning as a common enchantment
  2. buff the range of thrown weapons after a charge
  3. make charge a standard maneuver
  4. decrease the full weapon range of ranged weapon after combat ensues (only snipers get full range)
  5. remove some ranged feats
  6. add opportunity attacks if ranged attacks made within weapon reach of a melee enemy.

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Charge as an option might help. I'm not sure exactly why it was removed, to be honest. Maybe because the opportunity attack system is less robust? Or maybe because they knew they couldn't make "defender" style mechanics a thing in 5e, since they wanted the people who didn't care for it to come back...

Hm. That might actually be it. Knowing they couldn't make strong mechanics for Fighters to prevent enemies from going to the back line core, they buffed ranged and casters, figuring that it was inevitable that enemies would bring the fight to them, and underestimated the impact this has on the game, as well as how most DM's would run combat (adhering, perhaps, to the old school "gentleman's agreement" to not ignore the Fighter?).

Certainly, a Cleric with Spirit Guardians makes for one heck of a "catch-22" defender.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Charge as an option might help. I'm not sure exactly why it was removed, to be honest. Maybe because the opportunity attack system is less robust?
Charge has been a maneuver in D&D since it was Chainmail and pretty near identical in every edition... 3e had a lot of things which triggered opportunity attacks but unless you took a certain feat you were stuck with one of them I think?

James Gasik

Supporter
Charge has been a maneuver in D&D since it was Chainmail and pretty near identical in every edition... 3e had a lot of things which triggered opportunity attacks but unless you took a certain feat you were stuck with one of them I think?
Well if your movement provoked, which largely meant that you weren't charging much after the first turn. The penalty to AC could be rough too, but it was a good payoff. I can't think of any reason to make it optional and a Feat, other than to take it away from monsters.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well if your movement provoked, which largely meant that you weren't charging much after the first turn. The penalty to AC could be rough too, but it was a good payoff. I can't think of any reason to make it optional and a Feat, other than to take it away from monsters.
Just saying monsters had it too since forever and only 4e made the more ubiquitous OAs
Well if your movement provoked, which largely meant that you weren't charging much after the first turn. The penalty to AC could be rough too, but it was a good payoff.
what penalty? from the d20 SRD
ChargeMove up to twice your speed and attack with a +2 bonus
I can't think of any reason to make it optional and a Feat, other than to take it away from monsters.
I have no clue to be honest.
5e making it easy to get places once everyone is in combat is kind of a complaint I have heard against using the 5e flanking rule. And to me a reason to make opportunity attacks more available. But charger just isn't that good removing it is a subtle nerf but it compounds with others in my opinion. In 4e the charge was triggered by Warlords and a set of magic items enhanced them tremendously (called a charge kit).

We could still have a Charger feat but it would do things like allowing the charge free when an enemy went down so you could charge to another target .... and allowing it without triggering opportunity attacks. A charge so enhanced is then feeling like you are a missile weapon yourself almost and particularly with a long arm throw of a javelin that returns. This would replace the Charge Kit in effect or on could introduce Horned Helms/Badges of the Berserker and the like instead for another style of fun.

Charger is ranked really poorly among feats, as feats are supposed to be big things... especially combat ones that are competing with the big ones.

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
Just saying monsters had it too since forever and only 4e made the more ubiquitous OAs

what penalty? from the d20 SRD
ChargeMove up to twice your speed and attack with a +2 bonus

I have no clue to be honest.
5e making it easy to get places once everyone is in combat is kind of a complaint I have heard against using the 5e flanking rule. And to me a reason to make opportunity attacks more available. But charger just isn't that good removing it is a subtle nerf but it compounds with others in my opinion. In 4e the charge was triggered by Warlords and a set of magic items enhanced them tremendously (called a charge kit).

We could still have a Charger feat but it would do things like allowing the charge free when an enemy went down so you could charge to another target .... and allowing it without triggering opportunity attacks. A charge so enhanced is then feeling like you are a missile weapon yourself almost and particularly with a long arm throw of a javelin that returns. This would replace the Charge Kit in effect or on could introduce Horned Helms/Badges of the Berserker and the like instead for another style of fun.

Charger is ranked really poorly among feats, as feats are supposed to be big things... especially combat ones that are competing with the big ones.
This penalty, PHB page 155:

Charge.jpg

Horwath

Legend
Maybe it would be a good thing if we got full-round action back?

Full-round action consumes your Action, Bonus action and Move.

Then Charge action can be: full-round action;

Move up to double your speed in a straight line and make one melee attack.
You have advantage on this attack, all melee attacks have advantage on you until the start of your next turn.
If you have extra attack feature, your attack deals extra base weapon damage.

James Gasik

Supporter
Ah I am blind...
It happens! Blame the fact that aging doesn't give you sweet bonuses to mental ability scores like they said it would, the liars!

I haven't found any developer comments about Charge, but when 5e came out, apparently people felt that the ability to move and make all of your attacks made up for it's loss, and that the fiddly rules for Charge (plus to this, minus to that, each step must move closer to the target) were either too complex, or didn't fit right with the philosophy of the new system.

EDIT: and possibly people were tired of "charge builds".

Remove ads