• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
the fiddly rules for Charge
Not suggesting identical rules just that having a form of charge is a buff to melee combatants that was mostly lost

Some variations on charges that 5e enabled
1 a feat (an underfed feat)
2 rogues (cunning action)
3 orc (aggressive feature)

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Actually I think Monsters of the Multiverse is getting rid of the Orc's Aggressive trait. Which is too bad, my Orc Cleric used it to great effect to get closer to downed allies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Actually I think Monsters of the Multiverse is getting rid of the Orc's Aggressive trait. Which is too bad, my Orc Cleric used it to great effect to get closer to downed allies.
Strangely that would make having a charge as a universal less problematic in a sense because you are walking less on somebodies feature.

Last edited:

James Gasik

Supporter
Strangely that would make having a charge as a universal less problematic in a sense because you are walking less on somebodies feature.
There's still Tiger Barbarians...but one, who plays them, and two...17th level?! You got to be kidding me.

G

Guest 7034872

The big offender is sharpshooter feat.

That feat going away takes care of most if the problems.

GWM is less bad but still not good.
I have loved that feat with my battle masters especially in conjunction with the Archer fighting style. But for all the same reasons I relished it as a player, as DM I say it is OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Gasik

Supporter
I mean, by itself, it's not really that bad. Sure AC doesn't rise much, thanks to bounded accuracy, but I look at it like this.

Say you're 4th level. You can fire an arrow for d8+3, an average of 7.5 damage. Giving yourself -5 to hit for 17.5 damage sure sounds great, but it's basically turning your attack bonus to +0! Well, +2 if they don't have any cover. That's still pretty rough.

Even next level, ok, you get another +1 to hit, and kind of sort of advantage with two attacks. If one hits, 17.5 is a boost, but you could just attack twice for 15.

The problem comes in when players go out of their way to find extra accuracy. Maybe you were a Kobold (RIP Pack Tactics). Or a Battlemaster and you used your superiority dice for an accuracy buff (not as bad, since you could just chuck them at the enemy in the form of damage).

But if your party is working with you? Mastermind Rogues, Wolf Barbarians, Clerics with bless (let alone Peace Clerics), Bards...there's lots of ways to give out advantage or numerical bonuses, and now our archer is suddenly doing 35 damage a turn!

But that does take investment, so I'm not sure that you can say that's broken...it's just smart play/good teamwork.

I never bothered myself, though. I hate missing. Worst thing that can happen to a martial character. "Ok, your turn is up, what do you do?" "I swing my sword and...oh."

"See you in 10 minutes when everyone else's turns are done!"

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean, by itself, it's not really that bad. Sure AC doesn't rise much, thanks to bounded accuracy, but I look at it like this.

Say you're 4th level. You can fire an arrow for d8+3, an average of 7.5 damage. Giving yourself -5 to hit for 17.5 damage sure sounds great, but it's basically turning your attack bonus to +0! Well, +2 if they don't have any cover. That's still pretty rough.

Even next level, ok, you get another +1 to hit, and kind of sort of advantage with two attacks. If one hits, 17.5 is a boost, but you could just attack twice for 15.

The problem comes in when players go out of their way to find extra accuracy. Maybe you were a Kobold (RIP Pack Tactics). Or a Battlemaster and you used your superiority dice for an accuracy buff (not as bad, since you could just chuck them at the enemy in the form of damage).

But if your party is working with you? Mastermind Rogues, Wolf Barbarians, Clerics with bless (let alone Peace Clerics), Bards...there's lots of ways to give out advantage or numerical bonuses, and now our archer is suddenly doing 35 damage a turn!

But that does take investment, so I'm not sure that you can say that's broken...it's just smart play/good teamwork.

I never bothered myself, though. I hate missing. Worst thing that can happen to a martial character. "Ok, your turn is up, what do you do?" "I swing my sword and...oh."

"See you in 10 minutes when everyone else's turns are done!"
I've never seen a player take one of those feats without making sure their accuracy suffers as little as possible, one way or another.

Remove ads