• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Another thing making ranged more powerfull in 5e: the lack of "sunder" as a concept.

In 3e you could try to disarm someone, or break their weapons. Neither were particularly easy tasks, but ranged weapons were relatively fragile and didn't give you an opportunity attack, so it was relatively easy for a foe to just break your bow.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
This is true, but Sunder was never a popular option. Breaking player's gear can have disastrous effects (as well as making players salty), and nobody liked the idea of breaking bad guy's stuff, because you're, in effect, destroying your own treasure.

In 5e, Sunder probably wouldn't be that bad, magic items aren't common, and most non-magic items are easily replaced...though that in of itself could get rather ludicrous if people could just carry around multiple backup bows, since money isn't really an issue- the only thing stopping them is how much stuff they can carry around!

Stalker0

Legend
Oh the options proposed, I like these two:

1) Charge as an option. Here is the houserule I use: "Charge: If a character has extra attack, when performing the dash action they may make a single attack as a bonus action. Once the attack is made, they cannot move any further on their turn."

2) Opportunity Attacks are triggered for making a ranged attack.

I think that covers two of the biggest issues. The charge gives melee characters a bit more flexibility and range on their damage. The OA rule gives ranged users a decisive "weak spot" where they can't use their attacks effectively. Note that this rule is highly painful in 5e due to the lack of a 5 foot step, aka there is no way to OA like there was in 3e, other than giving up your attack entirely.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter

1) Charge as an option. Here is the houserule I use: "Charge: If a character has extra attack, when performing the dash action they may make a single attack as a bonus action. Once the attack is made, they cannot move any further on their turn."

I think that covers two of the biggest issues. The charge gives melee characters a bit more flexibility and range on their damage. The OA rule gives ranged users a decisive "weak spot" where they can't use their attacks effectively. Note that this rule is highly painful in 5e due to the lack of a 5 foot step, aka there is no way to OA like there was in 3e, other than giving up your attack entirely.
Now 2 won't affect ranged Rogues all that much, thanks to their bonus action Disengage, but since the Rogue archetype really isn't tough enough to be a melee combatant anyways, I'm cool with this.

Stalker0

Legend
Now 2 won't affect ranged Rogues all that much, thanks to their bonus action Disengage, but since the Rogue archetype really isn't tough enough to be a melee combatant anyways, I'm cool with this.
true but that means no TWF, no dash, no hide that round. Its still a cost, it just means that rogues are getting to enjoy one of their abilities in a way they might not normally do.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

One advantage ranged weapons have is ease of targeting a new enemy when the one you have been attacking goes down and you have more attacks it is utterly cost free. Enabling a charge to a new enemy if you have more attacks after you defeat one to me is very vivid.

Stalker0

Legend
One advantage ranged weapons have is ease of targeting a new enemy when the one you have been attacking goes down and you have more attacks it is utterly cost free. Enabling a charge to a new enemy if you have more attacks after you defeat one to me is very vivid.
So your saying attack 1 monster move, attack another monster with a charge? Are you envisioning charge has to be in a straightline? Otherwise there seems to be no reason for a melee character not to dash even round it wants to attack.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So your saying attack 1 monster move, attack another monster with a charge?
only if they defeat the first in one blow is the concept... hmmm guess they can already move to the next if they have move left. Perhaps defeating an enemy adds 2 to their remaining move if they have attacks left.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think that's getting a bit fiddly
Nods I can see that... I realized I defaulted back to 4e speed in squares LOL
Whenever a character with extra attack has no conscious adjacent enemies and they have attacks left they can move 10 feet towards an enemy in addition to any other movement made. So if you move kill, ... move kill .... move kill you have effectively made 30 feet of free movement. Just clarifying what I was thinking @Stalker0

Last edited:

Remove ads