Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

Ryujin

Legend
I can see Deadpool 3 doing well when it comes out early next year.
Into the Spiderverse is doing great things, can't wait for the third film.

Also, it will be interesting to see what James Gunn does with DC, but that's still over a year away.
I can't see him doing any worse than Muschietti did with "The Flash." Then again, Miller was poison for that project.
I think due to my current issues that The Marvels will be the only other MCU movie I have missed in the theater, the last one before that was Thor: The Dark world and I was in the hospital.
It should be on D+ pretty quickly after release, given past performance.

aco175

Legend
Disney seemed to get away from making movies people want to see and have gone in another direction. DC seems to not be able to get out of their own way. I think eventually all of them will come back around.

My normie friends who were going to most of the big Marvel movies five years ago seem to find no joy in the current crop of superhero movies or even the concept. Most of them who liked Guardians of the Galaxy seemed to be OK with that, but nothing on the horizon seems to excite them except for whenever that has Batman as a lead and isn't bogged down in the rest of the DC-verse. Batman seems to process as something almost different than a superhero to a lot of general audiences for some reason.
I would say that’s because, on a subconscious level, Batman is viewed more as a costumed crime fighter than as a superhero. Thus, he resonates with both crime fighters in fiction and film, from The Shadow or The Spider to Martin Riggs or John McLane, while retaining elements of superheroes, like the costume and weird villains. It helps that he’s just a mortal Earthling with training and drive. The fantasy is that anyone could be Batman, but only refugees from Krypton can be Superman.

Basically, never underestimate the power of an underdog archetype in fiction and film. Many people feel like the regular mortal caught in struggles of gods. They also wish they could fight back or fight with the gods.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I can see Deadpool 3 doing well when it comes out early next year.
Yeap.
Into the Spiderverse is doing great things, can't wait for the third film.
It is. I think because its fresh and not a retelling of the same story with hours of action sequences that Marvel and DC are suffering right now.
Also, it will be interesting to see what James Gunn does with DC, but that's still over a year away.
I think I'm Gunn'd out. He has a few great tricks, but they have gotten stale for me.

I can't see him doing any worse than Muschietti did with "The Flash." Then again, Miller was poison for that project.
I think I'm Gunn'd out. He has a few great tricks, but they have gotten stale for me.

Just on Gunn, only time will tell.

I think him coming to the helm will create an interest to begin with.
Some of the projects seem like a good fit for his style, like Booster Gold.
But then there are properties like Superman, which I'm not really sure are a great fit for Gunn.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nah, there isn't particularly a lull even, I'd you look at the box office numbers.

They are not automatic successes at this point, but superhero media is doing very well.

MGibster

Legend
I started getting superhero fatigue back when Captain Marvel came out and now I can't remember what the last superhero movie was I saw in the theaters. It must have been pre-COVID. I didn't even see the latest Batman movie in theaters which is just unfathomable but it's the truth. And my enthusiasm has waned further thanks to so-so shows like Captain America & The Winter Soldier and the terrible Secret Wars series. Even with movies I enjoyed, like Shang-Chi, I grow bored of the CGI-fest fight scenes.

I'm sure we'll get some more good movies over the next few years. But eventually the superhero craze will pass and we'll move on to something else. Barbie and Oppenheimer have certainly shown that you don't need superheroes to find an auidence.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I started getting superhero fatigue back when Captain Marvel came out and now I can't remember what the last superhero movie was I saw in the theaters. It must have been pre-COVID. I didn't even see the latest Batman movie in theaters which is just unfathomable but it's the truth. And my enthusiasm has waned further thanks to so-so shows like Captain America & The Winter Soldier and the terrible Secret Wars series. Even with movies I enjoyed, like Shang-Chi, I grow bored of the CGI-fest fight scenes.

I'm sure we'll get some more good movies over the next few years. But eventually the superhero craze will pass and we'll move on to something else. Barbie and Oppenheimer have certainly shown that you don't need superheroes to find an auidence.
...and Dune. I am ready for Supers to take a back seat.

Remove ads