Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I got very tired of giant flashy fights where the action is hard to track and the stakes seem low somehow…

I still like the movies where the characters are the thing—-Ed Norton as hulk, spider man trying to deal with human problems but the avengers et al have ceased to do much for me. Marvel went big and they can be finished big. I have habituated to it.

Too many movies too many threads to track…too many big sounds and flashing lights…

I liked the spider verse though because the characters were cool and the fights meant something.

I am old and crabby. Don’t listen to me!

I got very tired of giant flashy fights where the action is hard to track and the stakes seem low somehow…

I still like the movies where the characters are the thing—-Ed Norton as hulk, spider man trying to deal with human problems but the avengers et al have ceased to do much for me. Marvel went big and they can be finished big. I have habituated to it.

Too many movies too many threads to track…too many big sounds and flashing lights…

I liked the spider verse though because the characters were cool and the fights meant something.

I am old and crabby. Don’t listen to me!
Norton’s Hulk is a great movie, I don’t care what anyone else says. It also has my favorite portrayal of “The Lonely Man”.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Norton’s Hulk is a great movie, I don’t care what anyone else says. It also has my favorite portrayal of “The Lonely Man”.
I watch it every few years again. What a shame they could not make it work for more.

In no way do I buy the “new banner” in any way. Mark ruffalo does not seem like the scientist he is supposed to be 🤷‍♂️

Today the ticket in the cinemas are too expensive, and then to watch drama or comedy the audience would rather to watch at home. The people in the cinemas spend their money to watch a spectacule of FXs.

But the abuse can cause the saturation.

Other point is the superheroes were in the past a marginal niche, it was something relatively unknown by the most of people, but now with lots of movies the "normies" have got used, and now they have lost their "exotic" touch. It is like a teenage who isn't interested into Western movies because he has watched too much when he was a child.

The animation in DC had worked very well in the past, but except the famous trinity Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman the characters from DC are unknown. For the "normies" the new superheroes are only a new action-figure, a piece of plastic, in the toy shop.

Preteens love toys and merchandising of superheroes, but teenages have stopped to buy comics. It is not only because manga is more popular, but also because we are in the age of videogames, where the main characters are designed with a balance between power and vulnerability, succes and failure. For the point of view of the gamers the superheroes are "overpowered" and so boring and annoying as the Mary Sue. Where is the challenge if they are too "perfect"?

And it is not only the superheroes, after the epidemic the box-office is not the same, in all the genres. The age of blockbusters has ended.

An the genre is not enough to attrack audience. For the renaissance of Disney other studios tried to produce cartoons based in fairy tales but these didn't work so well.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I think they have gotten too deep into their own convoluted mythologies. Iron Man, Captain America, the Spiderman movies and Guardians of the Galaxy were great movies that were fundamentally about humans that happened to have superpowers and/or fantastic adventures. They were relatable because they had characters we could understand going through things we could empathize with. Now it's all multiverses, time travel, cross overs and big events. No one gets their own movie and everything is part of some larger arc we won't understand for months or years. Bleh. This is why I stopped reading comics. The crossover and big event obsession over just telling good stories.

Remove ads