• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any fans of Star Frontiers on ENWorld?

smootrk

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Meh. I'm not surprised considering d20 Future is more of a toolbook and less of a full-version campaign setting.
Yes, and I would probably spend some $$$ on a true Star Frontiers treatment. The setting really deserves it... not some mishmash of options. Options are great, but give a solid framework for the setting first, then add lots of options.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
smootrk said:
Yes, and I would probably spend some $$$ on a true Star Frontiers treatment. The setting really deserves it... not some mishmash of options. Options are great, but give a solid framework for the setting first, then add lots of options.

I think that I'd much rather see Star Frontiers redone in the vein of The Basic Fantasy RPG or Castles & Crusades (i.e., an OGL-compatible though, comparatively, rules-light system that captures the low entry threshold of the original SF system).

smootrk

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I think that I'd much rather see Star Frontiers redone in the vein of The Basic Fantasy RPG or Castles & Crusades (i.e., an OGL-compatible though, comparatively, rules-light system that captures the low entry threshold of the original SF system).
For that you can simply just use the actual rules. Get copies here: www.starfrontiersman.com

Efforts are in the works to create a Star Frontiers 2.0 game, with a decided effort to maintain the flavor and basic elements of the game/setting, yet rethinking the rules from the ground up. No idea when this project might surface though.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
smootrk said:
For that you can simply just use the actual rules. Get copies here: www.starfrontiersman.com

These rules aren't OGL -- they're legally free for download, yes, but not open for development (i.e., the limited license granted Mr. Logan, so far as I know, doesn't extend to all people, everyhwere, for the purposes of developing or publishing SF material). And, of course, the original rules aren't easily compatible with existing OGL games. :)

[Edited for clarity]

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
smootrk said:
AFTER they published Star*Drive for d20 Modern/Future. :]

Chaldfont

First Post
Savage Worlds would be perfect for the Star Frontiers setting. But if it was me, and I could convince my group, I'd just go ahead and play with the original rules for that old school feeling.

Laser Rifles set to 20!

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
I played Star Frontiers once or twice when I was living in Germany and I absolutely loved it. Then the guy who had it moved back to the states and I never saw the game again. Seriously, by the time I moved back in 1990, you couldn't find it in stores.

Occasionally, I'll check eBay for it, but I haven't had much luck there (at least, when I have the money for a purchase like that). Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check it out!

JediSoth

LcKedovan

Explorer
Cool! I'll check it out, back when Traveller D20 first came out I posted all the core SF Player races as D20 versions on here and on CotI so I'm definately down with SF :D

-W.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads