• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any ways to negate Evasion?

Hawken

First Post
Hold effects are one option. If you can't move, you can't evade. This may start some kind of "it doesn't say that in 'the book' argument", but it doesn't need to spell it out either. The definition of the Reflex save, per the PHB, is the ability to dodge area attacks. If you can't move, you can't dodge. If you can't dodge, no Reflex save. No Reflex save, no Evasion.

Spells either allow a save or require an attack roll. Evasion doesn't happen for spells/effects with no save because of an attack roll.

Charm effects may cause a character to ignore an attack/effect, thereby foregoing any (reflex) save, so evasion might not happen through that.

Spells and effects that penalize Dex reduce reflex saves, making evasion less likely to occur, but not actually negating.

Pinning a grappled opponent renders them immobile (see above for targets that cannot move).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hawken said:
Hold effects are one option. If you can't move, you can't evade. This may start some kind of "it doesn't say that in 'the book' argument", but it doesn't need to spell it out either. The definition of the Reflex save, per the PHB, is the ability to dodge area attacks. If you can't move, you can't dodge. If you can't dodge, no Reflex save. No Reflex save, no Evasion.

Explicitly: "As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion."

So if you can arrange for the character to be squeezing, for example, he can't use Evasion.

My reading of this, in addition, is that no amount of room is "room to move" for a character who cannot move... so Hold Person, for example, will also deny Evasion (since whatever space the character is in is not "room to move"... as with a Reflex save.

-Hyp.

Seloryen

First Post
Just playing with this idea when I read this post. Would anyone else look at a metamagic feat that would disallow evasion or improved evasion on a reflex/half spell. Not sure how many spell slots higher this spell would take but it would definitely be at least 2 probably. Any opinions on this.

MarkB

Legend
Seloryen said:
Just playing with this idea when I read this post. Would anyone else look at a metamagic feat that would disallow evasion or improved evasion on a reflex/half spell. Not sure how many spell slots higher this spell would take but it would definitely be at least 2 probably. Any opinions on this.
I'd say definitely at least two. Call it "Pervasive Spell", perhaps, with the description "Your area-effect spells leave no space untouched within their area, making it impossible to entirely avoid their effects."

Maybe make it +2 levels to negate Evasion (and reduce Improved Evasion to Evasion), and +3 or +4 to negate Improved Evasion.

Patlin

Explorer
I think I'd be more inclined to make a metamagic feat to change the save type than one to specifically counter evasion.

nittanytbone

First Post
From the SRD:

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Helpless: A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks gets no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

There's your key. Either find a way for the Rogue to be in Medium Armor or made helpless, or don't use 1/2 Ref save attacks.

Scharlata

First Post
nittanytbone said:
There's your key. Either find a way for the Rogue to be in Medium Armor or made helpless, or don't use 1/2 Ref save attacks.

As nittanytbone said: Look to darin/damage/penalty Strength, so that your evasive foe is denied the class feature. Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement with no save is a good starter.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads