Are We Looking At A New RPG Kickstarter Record?

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

strong.jpg

Strongholds & Streaming is a dual Kickstarter - first to produce a 128-page hardcover book about building strongholds and attracting followers for D&D 5th Edition; and then with stretch goals related to Colville's streaming channel.

You can build four stronghold types - keeps, towers, temples, and establishments; these roughly correlate to warriors, arcane casters, divine casters, and rogue-types. The stronghold improves your class abilities, and attracts followers.

Stretch goals include miniatures, more pages, an an adventure (so far - he's blown through all those on there right now already).

You can see this epic Kickstarter here. I've never seen an RPG Kickstarter blow up quite so fast in so short a time!

Matt Colville writes the Critical Role comic, and has worked on various tabletop gaming projects, including the recent Star Trek RPG. He has worked on various mass-combat and starship combat rulesets. In addition, he runs a big YouTube channel about tabletop RPGs (D&D especially).
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Wiseblood

Adventurer
I post here. Nowhere else aside from a private message here or there. Do you know why? Because Morrus doesn't track my often changed opinion or interest and punish me with ads and ads and ads and intrusion on any and all other websites. I may change....but I view other website practices as trollish

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I post here. Nowhere else aside from a private message here or there. Do you know why? Because Morrus doesn't track my often changed opinion or interest and punish me with ads and ads and ads and intrusion on any and all other websites. I may change....but I view other website practices as trollish

What, you never noticed that black van across the street?

I feel like that was less of a call out for being bad and more of an observation.

I kinda have a theory about internet communities about this sort of thing. The idea is that within the same sphere of interests, there's these islands of popularity that people are on. Sure, some people commute between them, but otherwise people just have different interests within the same sphere of interest.

All he's really saying is that people on ENWorlds island have differing insight into why this got popular, and when he tried to explain his insight, some people here rejected it because they might not have the same insight to the other islands that he does.

I feel like that was less of a call out for being bad and more of an observation.

I kinda have a theory about internet communities about this sort of thing. The idea is that within the same sphere of interests, there's these islands of popularity that people are on. Sure, some people commute between them, but otherwise people just have different interests within the same sphere of interest.

All he's really saying is that people on ENWorlds island have differing insight into why this got popular, and when he tried to explain his insight, some people here rejected it because they might not have the same insight to the other islands that he does.

I can definitely agree with that. Opinions here are different than /r/dndnext and those opinions are different than /r/dnd opinions. I keep a presence at both mostly because I already use reddit, and I know you do as well Chihuahua.

schnee

First Post
I felt we were very supportive of his Kickstarter. I for one was cheering him on. Ah well, can't win 'em all!

I don't see you as a typical 'get off my drawbridge' Grognard, so I don't think it was at you.

Now, the ones you had to ban when Wizards hired that young female employee recently...

Waller

Legend

That's not what he's saying. He's throwing around insults like "grognard", "wrong side of history", we don't know the difference between YouTube and Twitch or how to use Twitter, and we can't "fathom what's going on", despite his explanations, that his Kickstarter was succesful because of his YouTube following. It was a weird driveby assault in the middle of otherwise nice post. I don't get it. The man just made $2,000,000. He should be happy. I was happy for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's not what he's saying. He's throwing around insults like "grognard", "wrong side of history", we don't know the difference between YouTube and Twitch or how to use Twitter, and we can't "fathom what's going on", despite his explanations, that his Kickstarter was succesful because of his YouTube following. It was a weird driveby assault in the middle of otherwise nice post. I don't get it. The man just made $2,000,000. He should be happy. I was happy for him.

It might just be the difference between me and you, but I don't really see anything truly insulting in his post. He's just saying that the community here is a lot more old-school than the community he is now a part of.

Motorskills

Explorer
It might just be the difference between me and you, but I don't really see anything truly insulting in his post. He's just saying that the community here is a lot more old-school than the community he is now a part of.

I'm old school, struggle with the new-fangled technoWotsits, and I didn't read it as insulting.

But if you are a gatekeeper, if you trying to reverse-engineer in a state of upset, then maybe you should feel slightly targeted. Matt isn't young. He's mid to late forties. It's a mind-set, not an age.
He'll likely still be as dynamic and inventive twenty years from now.

The bulk of that $2M isn't coming from people who want a settings book, or a mini dragon, or a T-shirt. It's from people that bought into MCDM Productions itself as a thing. That's chiefly, but not solely, because of Matt's ability to sell his persona (via YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, and his blogs), plus his anticipated ability to convert that into interesting physical things.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I don't think Matt Colville likes us very much.

Originally Posted by Matt Colville's blog
What would they have made of Elvis and his swiveling hips in the 1950s? Would they have been on the right side of history then?

So I guess you make 2 million dollars and now you are the same as Elvis?

How much do you have to raise before you get to Beatles level?

Remove ads

Remove ads