Are you out of the D&D closet?

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Hello, my name is ... and I play Dungeons & Dragons. First, it was just the Blue Book, then I moved on to hardcover stuff: my first players handbook, I was hooked! Now I share my habit with my two children. I have no shame.

Agamon

Adventurer
If someone asked me if I play D&D, I'd say yes.

If somone asked me about my hobbies, I'd say I was a gamer (though that can mean different things, I am a true gamer, in that I play all kinds of games). I wouldn't expand on it too much if I thought it would take a lot of explaining.

If I knew or had a pretty good idea someone else played D&D, I'd tell them I do too.

Otherwise, I really see no reason to shout it from the rooftops. I'm a hockey fan, too, but I don't talk about it unless I know the listener will be interested.

Azathoth

First Post
I have no problem telling people at work, home or just anyone in general that I role-play. But I still don't read any role-playing material on the bus :)

Terraism

Explorer
My books are in my closet, on my desk, in my backpack, and in my hand. If someone shows interest, then I'll tell 'em. Now, granted, it wasn't always this way. They used to be in the nice hidey-hole I found was built into the 'escape-ladder' slot on my window, since I was trying to keep the 'evil books' out of sight of my parents. It's kinda funny, since the only really big thing I've ever disobeyed my parents on is playing D&D, and if they'd have just let me play without a problem I wouldn't have disobeyed... Now THERE'S logic for ya', huh?
Seriously though - I'm proud of my activities - D&D, Model UN, my books, my nerdishness... I'm happy with who I am and am always happy to share... (on a superficial front, anyway. NOBODY ever gets past my walls. :))

thundershot

Adventurer
As another guy from Ohio, I'm in pretty much the same boat. My wife, my friends and I all play, but unless someone specifically asks at work (usually when I pick up a new book in the mall I work at), I don't say anything about it. When I do, I get odd looks... It's bad enough that my dad thinks it's evil (just like ANYthing with magic or "sorcerery" as he calls it), I make it a point to completely shoot down his thoughts on this every time he comments on it. <grin>

The funny thing... EVERYONE at work knows I love comic books, and I've never hid that particular hobby of mine... I take 'em to work now and then, and no one thinks anything of it... Strange...

Chris

Neowolf

First Post
I don't have any problem with letting people know I'm a gamer. Most people my age (around 18) are pretty accepting of it as a hobby. My problem has been explaining it to older relatives who have only heard the horror stories about how it leads to violence, satanism, murder, suicide, etc.

What's most interesting though is how accepting of it my parents are. I actually first got interested in the game from reading my mom's old 1E AD&D books. :D

Thorntangle

First Post
In the closet. I've developed pretty good "Gamer-dar", to borrow a term.

----

Attachments

• Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg
    Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 13,996

Grandpa

First Post
I like explaining D&D to folks and they generally find it interesting, so my hobby is out in the open, if for some reason it comes up. :)

Tom Cashel

First Post
Agamon said:
I'm a hockey fan, too, but I don't talk about it unless I know the listener will be interested.

Hey, me too!

Who do you root for?

I'm a diehard Rangers fan [oh, woe is me...still waiting for a win in 2002...yes, we are wretched...]

Uh, but...ah, yes! The topic! Well, I don't advertise my hobbies, unless it's in a reputable newspaper; but then again, I don't hide it...unless it's behind a screen. In fact, my co-workers sometimes wonder why I bring a three-panel cardboard screen to meetings. But they wonder to themselves, since the time someone asked me and I shouted, "It's so you can't see my notes, you cheater !!!"

Remove ads