• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Area spells: range vs. "centered on you"

Zeppo

Explorer
I've always assumed (though it isn't said anywhere in the 3.5 rules) that when an area spell is "centered on you", you select a corner of your space as its point of origin (provided that you're smaller than Large). However, an area spell such as Repel Vermin also states:

Range: 10 ft.

And the rules on range say:

A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin.

So, can you have "off-centre" spell areas where you're closer to one edge of the area than to any other one, and "centered on you" just means "you're somewhere there inside the area"?

Greenfield

Adventurer
I think it's a bit of bad wording. Some spells give a "range" that's coincidentally the same as the radius, and then specify "centered on you". Others do the same with range and radius, but leave off the "centered on you" note.

I've seen a number of spells that include language left over from previous versions, language that no longer applies. The "range" and "centered on you" aspects should be clarified in the errata or in places like the Rules Compendium. Sadly, they aren't.

Another detail I wish they'd clarify is which spells remain centered on the caster as they move, and which ones are simply an area with range of zero.

But, when you come right down to it, if all of the rules were well written and clear, what would folks on forums like this one have to talk about? :)

Zeppo

Explorer
True. And Repel Vermin, RAW, is a fourth-level spell that creates a highly situational protective barrier that has a tiny radius and doesn't move with you. :)

Thrandir

Old style gamer
We usually take the nearest edge and count out from there. Adjacent squares count as 5 ft etc.. With the miniatures and our Perspex game board and spell templates it works out well. In cases where it becomes a little hazy we use common sense and then discuss it after the session and make a group decision. This is then placed into our house rules for future reference to avoid disruptions.

MarkB

Legend
We always took "centred on you" as extending out from each edge of your space to the specified radius. Otherwise you get silly things like Huge dragons filling the entire area of their spell.

Remove ads