D&D 5E Arena of War - Chapter 1: In Character

Gourry02

First Post
Halga lumbers over to his cell. He walks past several of the other gladiators, offering grins and claps on the back. He seems to be enjoying his time in the arenas despite his captivity. The large man enters his cell and lays down heavily on his bed. He lays an arm over his eyes and the sounds of snoring soon drift from his room.

Artyom stands perfectly still in his cell. He bends at the waist in a low bow. Then the monk begins a series of movements. His arms move in slow counter directional circles while his legs bend and wrap among eachother. He shifts his weight to his toes and then falls to his face. His hands catch him at the last moment. The monk forms his thumbs and forefingers of each hand into a L. As he puts his weight on his hands he brings his legs up, extending his arms fully until he is perfectly vertical. Artyom holds this position for minutes, exhaling slowly in meditation.

When the monk is finished he strides out into the common area, wandering among the other slaves and captives. "How long will I be confined here against my will, forced to do battle for the amusement of cruel task masters while my mission goes uncompleted?" He mutters to himself as he waits for his next battle to start.

((OOC: I'll be playing Artyom, my monk in the next chapter/battle.))

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
On her way out of the arena, Valya notices the rakshasa some ways off, speaking to some other people. As she watches, he looks up and for a moment their eyes meet. Only for a moment though, and then she's resuming her path through the gate into the gladiator's chambers beyond. She didn't know what game he was playing at. It bothered her that she couldn't see his angle in this. What was he hoping to achieve? Was it just placing bets? The prestige of sponsoring successful gladiators? He wouldn't get the final prize without competing though, and Valya didn't think he could just drop in at the end and expect Tam to give it to him.\

She went back to her room, took out her spellbook and the little roll of notes she had, and started distracting herself with work. Her researches and studies progressed, even here, and she felt herself close to a breakthrough in comprehending some of the spells she'd been evaluating. New weapons...things she'd need to press on through the mounting odds if she hoped to escape with the reward.

She had to be ready.

(OOC - Leveled Valya to 5 in the rogue's gallery)

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Jade awakens in his chamber on his bed feeling beaten and bruised. Taking stock of his injuries, he feels shame to have fallen in battle, but the fact that he's still alive at all means that his group won and defeated the creature, no doubt in large part due to his fighting skills and decision to stay in the fight and attack the creature further instead of fleeing to safety. With that thought, he smiles and closes his eyes again to rest and heal. He was already thinking and dreaming of how he could have done things better in that fight. Learning, growing in power, and becoming more skilled was the only way to survive here. But he would thrive, not just survive.

Later, after awakening from his rest, Jade meditates while stretching and working the last bits of stiffness out of his muscles. He felt better now, and stronger than before. Once prepared, he left his chamber and went to see how many of the others made it through that last battle.

Axel

First Post
Dhruv groaned as consciousness returned to his body. I am in a bed, he thought. Be glad for small mercies, he told himself as his last waking memories came back in a flood. The ambush they had all thought so clever, only to be ambushed themselves. Blood. Screaming. Pain. That Thayan Knight's mace... He was screaming something about his little cousin's armour, Dhruv recalled, remembering the human squire's corpse that he had recovered his "fightin' armour" from. Despite the explosion of pain from the Knight's last blow, Dhruv smiled a little at the memory. That was some fight, at least.

"Whose bed is this?" he wondered aloud, slowly letting light in through his eyes. Taking in the spartan details, he was a little relieved to see his weapons and tools piled in the corner and his armour on a wooden cross-tree nearby. "Not Death's, at least," he muttered, hearing the muted sound of voices from beyond his room. Dhruv sat up, then lay down again straight away as dizziness took him.

Eventually summoning his strength enough to rise and belt on a pair of pants, the half-orc stumbled through into the common room. None of the people were familiar. Neither was the situation. To nobody and everybody, he loudly asked, "What is this place?"

industrygothica

Adventurer
"Hell," Drek says. "This place is hell. And home, for now." Drek stands from wherever he was sitting and locks his eyes firmly onto the other half-orc. It wasn't often he met another of his split heritage, and he never knew what to expect. Some of them were more civil, taking after their human ancestry, but others had to prove they were still orc, half-breed or not. With them, it was a fight, and Drek wasn't in the mood for that on this day. Reluctantly he extends his hand and forearm, hoping for the best. His handaxe wasn't too far away. "The enemies are on the field... not here, I hope."

Axel

First Post
Dhruv scratched the back of his head idly, listening to the beast of a half orc and scowling as he realised his hair had been shaved off. He took the offered hand and smiled a little. "Good to see another half breed. More like home that way. What do you mean the field? Is this some mercenary training camp?"

sithramir

First Post
Temenon calls all the gladiators together, "It is time noble gladiators. We are now entering much deadlier ground. The Enclave has selected a new Arena. This one likely full of traps and other deadly surprises. There will be three groups pinned against each other in the next match. I will be sending 6 of you for this match."

He looks again to Valya's group while pointing at the elf Paelis and a half-orc named Dhruv. They join the group of 4 and the next day of hell begins..

OOC: Roll initiative and tell me your first rounds actions. I got busy during this week but let's just get a fight started before I bring the other details I wanted into this.

Arena-3 Round 1a.PNG

*There are no creatures shown as you can't see them yet.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Drek pulls a javelin from his pack and cautiously surveys the battlefield.

OOC: Initiative +2, Perception +3 (passive 13); You'll have to do the rolling for me, as the only thing I get at invisiblecastle is a domain name expiration page.

Axel

First Post
Filled in on the details of the current situation, Dhruv is far from pleased. Stalking off to don his armour, he returns with a face like thunder and a scowl that could curdle milk. "If they want blood, then I will drown them in an ocean of it!" was all he said as the small group left their area.

In the arena, he seems bewildered. Dhruv's experience of fighting is limited to ad-hoc pitched battles, not this carefully controlled environment. Deciding it would be best to observe before acting, he ducked into a nest of nearby crates.

[Sblock=actions]
Moving into the group of crates North-west of current position. Hiding.

In the same boat with rolls...
Init.: +2
Stealth: +10 (disadvantage)
Passive perception: 13
[/sblock]

Remove ads