• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor and Extended Rest

S'mon

Legend
It was 5 attacks:
2 Level 2 elite skirmishers AP'ing: 4 attacks at +7 each doing 2d6+5, 3d6+5 vs prone target. With CA they knock prone on a hit.
1 level 1 skirmisher ATT +6 dam 1d10+3

It was the attack on pg 3 of "The Slaying Stone" upgraded to EL 3.

The Paladin has better than AC 19 AIR, 21 I think; guess he must have a shield. He also has Toughness and a lot of hp.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It was 5 attacks:
2 Level 2 elite skirmishers AP'ing: 4 attacks at +7 each doing 2d6+5, 3d6+5 vs prone target. With CA they knock prone on a hit.
1 level 1 skirmisher ATT +6 dam 1d10+3

It was the attack on pg 3 of "The Slaying Stone" upgraded to EL 3.

The Paladin has better than AC 19 AIR, 21 I think; guess he must have a shield. He also has Toughness and a lot of hp.

So, the potential for 56 to 70 points of damage with average damage rolls in a single round (more with any criticals) against a single second level PC. Sure, the odds of taking out the Paladin with such a tactic isn't great, but 3 attacks hitting him, especially if one knocked him prone, could have done the job. On average, close to 2 out of 5 attacks would have hit him anyway, so 3 was not out of the question. It also depends on whether the Paladin won initiative over any party leader. If so, then even if healed, there would be the potential for round two kill the prone Paladin action. In fact, since the Wizard killed one foe, there was the potential for 6 attacks on the Paladin in round one before any other PC could act if the Wizard delayed or used a smaller ranged attack.

Ditto for any other PC in the group whom the bad guys decided to AP gut.

5 attacks (6 if the Wizard hadn't killed a foe) from 3 (4) foes is just plain nasty when 2 to 3 successful hits could take out nearly any PC. I suspect that if I was running a Wizard, I would have tried Burning Hands as well depending on how many foes I could have gotten with it. Or, I might have delayed and blasted later on if I thought that the Paladin was going to suck up some of the NPC attacks (as it turned out, the same DM tactics might have seriously wiped the Paladin as well and players might have asked the question "Why didn't the Wizard blast them when she had the chance?"). There are almost always better tactics available, but it doesn't sound like blasting by a Wizard is a terrible one when blasting is a core Wizard option.

I do wonder if you would have pulled out the APs in round one if the Paladin was the primary target. Would the high AC of the Paladin have disuaded you from trying that as DM? Consciously or subconsciously, were you trying to teach the player of the Wizard a lesson in what you perceived to be poor player tactics? The player saw 4 foes, so the thought that NPCs might be using action points might not have entered her mind. You did pull a bit of a fast one on her. It basically sounds like you purposely wanted to "teach her a lesson" for not playing the way you thought she should based on your "Wizards shouldn't try to tank" comment. You appear to have strong feelings on that. Personally, I play all of my PCs as heroes and all of them jump into the fray on occasion, so I would be extremely annoyed if a DM tried to teach me a lesson.

This is an issue with rolling group initiatives. This was only an N+1 encounter, but you wiped out a PC nonetheless in round one. I used to roll individual initiatives, but I'm on the fence about it for my new campaign. Examples like these (plus statistical fairness) illustrate the reason to roll individual initiatives. Speed is the reason to roll group initiatives.

But for every time most of the PCs win init and hence, the battle goes quickly, there are more times (especially with the high init bonuses that most monsters have) where NPC group init means 5+ unanswered attacks on the PCs. The PCs have to win the encounter every time (shy of running away), the NPCs only have to win once.

My personal experience is that the NPCs tend to be winning encounters in round one and two, but that usually by round three, PCs start turning the tide and the encounter eventually becomes an NPC rout. But, some PCs are often bloodied by then with a fair portion of damage coming from winning group init by NPCs.

I guess I might have to start rolling individual initiatives ahead of time before game day so that I have them all listed, just in the name of fairness and in order to not go ballistic on the PCs before the players can even react.

Gondsman

Explorer
@Gondsman The problem IMHO is you're just telling me what marking IS. I don't know that marking is a specific thing. Maybe in one case the dwarf is insulting the goblin's ancestry and getting them pissed at him. Maybe in another case it is just interfering with them and keeping them off balance, etc. One must also attribute SOME degree of tactical savvy to most monsters. Even animalistic creatures go after easy prey (and are pretty good at picking it out). Humanoids may not all be brilliant, but they're smart enough to survive and thus if attacking character X is good tactics then it is reasonable to assume they'll work that out at some point in the fight.
So your approach to monster tactics is that all monsters are calm, cool, intelligent creatures that never make any emotional decisions? I think that you have picked one approach that is what is logical to you, and you are applying it to everyone and saying that any other idea is stupid

Ultimately I'd just like to say that a defender is doing an adequate job if they tie up one enemy thoroughly, do some steady damage, and manage to disadvantage the enemy to any appreciable degree on top of that. There are 5 PCs and nominally 5 monsters.
Really? You only have even number fights? I never see those, and even if your DMing nicely pairs up people Mano-e-mano, The approach to the defender you just created is my definition of a striker, hit one enemy till it's dead and move on. If it chooses to ignore you, so much the better.

If my DM only expects the Tank to pull aggro on one creature (but strikers to pull multiples), I roll a moderate defense Striker every time, because if that is the role he has in plan for me, I'm going to Limit the number of hits it gets by killing him faster, not slowly waiting it out as it swats at me.

A defender who doesn't defend is just a less effective striker, if you don't let his abilities affect the battle, the player gets board, suicides, and rerolls a character that you will let him play to its full potential.

All this, "monsters are smarter than that" bullcrap ultimately is your way of saying "what is this stupid Defender concept WotC came up with? Nope, not gonna let that happen, Defender's aren't allowed because I think they are stupid. Oh, and if you want to die real fast, roll a Leader because I always stack damage on them, because I hate them too"

Can monster's have tactics? sure. But you are ignoring all but a single factor in combats. Monsters who only have tactics and never do anything else are supremely boring.

S'mon

Legend
I do wonder if you would have pulled out the APs in round one if the Paladin was the primary target. Would the high AC of the Paladin have disuaded you from trying that as DM? Consciously or subconsciously, were you trying to teach the player of the Wizard a lesson in what you perceived to be poor player tactics?

I would definitely have used the APs in round 1 vs the Paladin. (a) I halve all monster hp, so if they don't AP on round 1 they may be dead before they can AP and (b) I play the monsters organically - 'what would this wolf do' - not in the metagame way you seem to assume. The wolves wanted to kill a single target and drag them off to eat. If they were going to attack the Paladin at all, it would have been in order to kill him as quickly as possible.

I don't run encounters 'to teach people lessons', that's not my style at all, and you should not be using my post-match analysis as a basis for thinking that's how I wanted the encounter to turn out. What actually happened was that the other PCs fought heroically, killed or drove off the wolves, then took the wizard Ashara's body into Treona's tower, where (much to all the players' surprise) the wise woman was able to use her Raise Dead ritual to bring Ashara back to life in what turned out to be a great roleplaying moment.

The lessons learned were:
(1) For the wizard player, Catherine - she learned that winning init and going right before the monsters, you may not want to move up and put yourself in a vulnerable position before you know what you're up against. Let the Defender do that, he's designed as the damage soak. I had learned the same lesson playing a Thief in another campaign BTW - and this was an organic, emergent effect of play in the 4e system, not a vindictive DM 'teaching me a lesson'.

(2) As DM, I learned that turning monsters into Elites was maybe not the best way to level-up an encounter, after all. I still Elite-ify 'named' leader monsters. But in general, adding more monsters seems to work better for a more balanced fight.

S'mon

Legend
You ragged on your Wizard player...

Uh, no? Do you think whenever bad things happen to PCs there's a malevolent DM dancing up and down in delight, chanting "Nyah ha ha! Silly player!" :erm:
I didn't expect the Wizard PC Ashara to die, I didn't like it, it was an emergent effect of play. I was pretty sad to see the cool PC die, until (a) I remembered Treona had 'raise dead' and (b) I saw the other PCs stand and fight and heroically defeat the wolves, recovering her body. As it happened, Ashara's resurrection had a great emotional effect on the character, gave her a life-debt to Treona, and turned out to be great for the campaign. And none of that would have happened if I had fudged to stop it happening.

S'mon

Legend
This is an issue with rolling group initiatives.

I usually 'take 10' on monster init, so they fall in a predictable range and some PCs beat them, some lose. Only having 1/5 PCs win init was unusual.

Oh... I just remembered the Paladin PC couldn't make that session - there were only 4 PCs, and no tank! :blush: At least it generated plenty of XP...

S'mon

Legend
I guess I might have to start rolling individual initiatives ahead of time before game day so that I have them all listed, just in the name of fairness and in order to not go ballistic on the PCs before the players can even react.

I've not done this yet, but I did just pre-roll init for a planned climactic encounter; we'll see how it works. I'm less concerned about lethality - monsters can always choose to Delay so they all act together per RAW - more about the DMing load of running 5 different monster types all in one go.

So your approach to monster tactics is that all monsters are calm, cool, intelligent creatures that never make any emotional decisions? I think that you have picked one approach that is what is logical to you, and you are applying it to everyone and saying that any other idea is stupid

I'm sorry, I forget where I used words like stupid. Nothing I said was meant to imply that one way of doing things was stupid and another one wasn't. Every situation is different.

Really? You only have even number fights? I never see those, and even if your DMing nicely pairs up people Mano-e-mano, The approach to the defender you just created is my definition of a striker, hit one enemy till it's dead and move on. If it chooses to ignore you, so much the better.

Whatever. We're talking concept here, not specific encounters. On average yes, encounters will have roughly even numbers of combatants. Again, every ACTUAL situation is different. We can imagine situations where one thing makes sense and ones where another makes sense. This isn't a matter of absolute right or wrong. Think about it. On average if the defender neutralizes as much of the monsters actions as he uses in a roughly even fight, and does some reasonable damage on top of that, then he's on average doing an adequate job. Not a brilliant job, but an adequate one. If the PCs were say outnumbered, well, then logically the PCs would have to do better than average if they're going to win, but I didn't really think that needed to be said. Nor is a defender that ties up monster resources that have a value similar to his own 'doing the job of a striker', he's doing the job of a defender. The job of a striker isn't to tie up the enemy, it is to out damage them. Doesn't seem like the same thing to me at all...

If my DM only expects the Tank to pull aggro on one creature (but strikers to pull multiples), I roll a moderate defense Striker every time, because if that is the role he has in plan for me, I'm going to Limit the number of hits it gets by killing him faster, not slowly waiting it out as it swats at me.

I have no idea where you got this idea that I said anything even close to this. You're off on some total tangent here. I would expect if I'm playing the defender and I've tied up an enemy that the striker will be smart enough to come over, flank the guy, take advantage of my defender mechanic, and get him killed fast, because that is, you know, the striker's job.

A defender who doesn't defend is just a less effective striker, if you don't let his abilities affect the battle, the player gets board, suicides, and rerolls a character that you will let him play to its full potential.

No, I'm going to make the game challenging for the players. It is up to the player to discern what the best tactics for his character to use are, and up to me to make the monsters do their thing. That isn't going to be nothing but idealized tactics, but if you can't run your character in a way that utilizes his mechanics to the full extent don't go blaming me as the DM for that. Step it up. If you think it is good enough to just rely on me to hand you fights on a silver platter because it makes you feel good, well, probably we're not well matched. I'll give you a tough fight and when you EARN victory you will feel good about it.

All this, "monsters are smarter than that" bullcrap ultimately is your way of saying "what is this stupid Defender concept WotC came up with? Nope, not gonna let that happen, Defender's aren't allowed because I think they are stupid. Oh, and if you want to die real fast, roll a Leader because I always stack damage on them, because I hate them too"

I think maybe you would want to please stop putting words in my mouth, because I don't actually see any justification at all for what you're saying. In my game defenders are valuable PCs. There are 2 defenders in a 6 character party in the current game we've been playing. The players of those characters certainly don't seem to feel like they are playing 'stupid' characters. I will say it again though, my job is not to hand them victory on a silver platter. If a defender goes out and just waves his arms around and expects all the monsters to go stick themselves to him like a magnet and that's his idea of doing his job HE'S GOING TO FAIL. IF on the other hand he's taking advantage of terrain, the controller is working with him to give the monsters say only choices to go where the defender is, etc then chances are he'll be effective.

The player might also want to THINK about what sort of monsters he's fighting. A bunch of zombies will probably go ahead and attack whatever is closest to them. A bunch of hobgoblin soldiers OTOH? You really think they're stupid and they're just going to all go party with the fighter and let the ranger rain death on them unopposed? I don't think that would be giving the players a good experience, it would just be boring.

Can monster's have tactics? sure. But you are ignoring all but a single factor in combats. Monsters who only have tactics and never do anything else are supremely boring.

Nowhere did I say that all monsters use deep and sophisticated tactics. OTOH think about it this way. Monsters survive. Obviously the monsters that PCs typically fight are ones that FIGHT. That's their thing. That's how they live. Do you think they manage to survive by using idiotic tactics? I don't. Of course monsters won't just automatically use optimum tactics.

Remember where this started. The question at hand was whether or not it was a good idea for non-melee characters to improve their ACs. If your position is they don't then I have to assume what you are proposing is that IN PRACTICALLY EVERY CASE the monsters just magnet themselves to the defender or go play with the barbarian etc and never ever even think about running down the wizard or the ranger that is hammering the heck out of them and might be easier to kill. I've got to wonder who's battles would be boring, mine or yours! lol.

Beyond this defenders have limits. They often can't deflect attacks from artillery for instance. So you are going to tell me all artillery goes after defenders habitually now too? Sure, they might be FORCED to deal with the defender, if he uses smart tactics and say gets in their faces. Otherwise will they shoot at the other party members? Yup! Not always, but they sure will some of the time, and if those players are running around with AC 14 they're taking a risk of that happening to them. I don't think it is absolutely hands down mandatory that every wizard or shaman has to pump his AC at level 1, but the people playing them should understand that they ARE taking a risk and they better consider what they're getting instead and decide if it is worth it.

Gondsman

Explorer
I guess none of us is capable of getting their points across in text.

I say, Marking should be something like this...You say, No, and it doesn't matter if the monster thinks....

etc, etc, etc, I admit, your campaign sounds like tying up one monster makes the Defender effective. If your defenders are happy with that...Cool. I don't see those sorts of encounters. If the defender is only expected to tie up one guy in the games I've played, it's usually an elite solo brute.

However. If i have a DM who's monsters always target clothies, and I want to be a defender, I find a way with feats and classes to roll a clothy defender.

You mentioned it is the players job to determine the best tactics, and you are determining the Monster tactics, which means, since you know all their stats, and they don't know the monsters, that it is the player's job to figure out what is in your head.

Remove ads