• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor Class and Defense

If a critical hit penetrates DR, what creatures are vulnerable? Can you crit. a ghost if it has DR vs. non-magical weapons? Does DR apply only vs. AC or does it apply against any physical effects like a fireball or meteor storm?

First I'm going to say that the best weapon vs armour rules I know are those used in Rolemaster (although I prefer MERP which is basically Rolemaster Lite). A separate table for each weapon category vs each armour category.

Yes, having Defense and Armor as DR would be good things, IMO. Not only is it more realistic (armor does not make one harder to hit, its entire purpose is to absorb damage)

Good armour absorbs so much damage that most blows directly impacting it are rendered ineffective. The answer to this was going round the armour and aiming at the weak points. Making someone harder to hit is therefore a better model.

There's no need for armor piercing. More damage is more likely to pierce armor.

Your argument flies in the face of history. The Katana was a superb weapon as was the scimitar, their long edges and slashing strokes destroying lightly armoured foes. But both would be terrible against plate armour because they need to actually cut through more steel to get the edge in. If you want to penetrate armour use as narrow a cross section as possible.

I disagree. A sword has a much longer reach and is far more effective by that fact. If daggers were so effective, you could just equip an army with daggers and win against an enemy army that is fully armored.

Daggers weren't effective against plate. They were just more effective than swords. Wrestle the plate armoured guy into position and then put the dagger through the eyeslits. This isn't good tactics.

A sword going through an inch of steel is going to do a lot less damage coming out the other side than one going through a piece of cloth.

A sword isn't going to go through an inch of steel suitable for armour unless something weird is going on.

First off, armor is not always all or nothing. Warhammers were designed to damage through full plate via blunt force trauma, not by poking through a gap. If we wanted "realism", piercing weapons would have a significant miss chance vs Plate, bludgeon would have a high DR, and slashing would be neigh ineffective. And arrows were capable of punching through plate, but given the loss of kinetic energy from doing so, DR would be a reasonable way to model that.

But DnD is not realistic to that level.

This.

or just fix monsters so that they follow the same system as players and let really bad ass monsters be. Because they are REALLY BAD ASS MONSTERS and you shouldnt mess with them.

Theres a reason in mythology it took really epic heroes to handle things like Grendel, the Medusa and the Minotaur.

And there's a reason that gothic plate is so renowned. The best way for the Minotaur to fight someone in decent quality plate armour would probably picking him up and shaking him until his brains rattled around in his head. Or passing the shock through the armour with a big club.

I agree, except that explorers, sailors, and many others wore little armor because of armor's significant drawbacks. In my games, better armor means a more significant tradeoff in terms of skills, movement, and (especially) endurance.

Yeah. I hope 5E armor hurts you speed and skill rolls severely but gives a great Armor class boost. Especially since the math is flatter.

You could swim in full plate armour. You can cartwheel. Good rennaisance-era plate armour weighs only about 20kg or a bit under 50lb - and is as well distributed as it is physically possible to be. Sure you're not going to be lockpicking with gauntlets. By comparison, British Infantry in the Falklands were carrying up to 120lb and some idiot gave the Rangers at Granada an average pack weight of 167lb. (Both those were far too heavy of course).

One of the factors armour was designed with was weight. Lighter armour helped. But most people didn't wear plate armour for two reasons. 1: It was hideously expensive. 2: They had no need to.

And skill rolls. Sure, you don't pick locks wearing gauntlets. But 50lbs, well distributed, is getting to the limits of what a fit person can continually wear without it impeding them. That's why plate armour was the weight it was.

Are you saying that these are weapons that can be expected to do as much (or even more) damage to a plate wearing defender, as to an unarmored defender, suffering the same attack? Because that's the only way it makes sense to say that DR couldn't apply here.

I'm thinking of something like a HESH round as the only possibility. Using the whole of the armour to rattle the occupant. But that's an edge case and I doubt applicable.

What they wore and what they fought against aren't one and the same. As I said, the claymore evolved during the Scottish battles against the English.

In fact, the two-hander in general evolved to cleave plate armor.

The Two-Handed Great Sword

You seem to think that the English went in for lots of plate armour. Most people wearing full plate were cavalry - plate was expensive and if you could afford it you could afford a hrose. And if we look at Bannockburn, there were only 700 English cavalry. Sure there were more knights at Falkirk - but the Scots had an answer to that. Pikemen. The Claymore simply doesn't resemble other anti- plate armour weapons - but does weapons that were great against light to medium armour and could be turned against plate at a pinch. An actual anti-plate weapon would be a Bec_de_corbin - note the hammer head and the narrow spikes for piercing armour. Completely the opposite take to the long edges that mangle lightly protected flesh.

Izumi

First Post
Yes it does...

Nope. Give it a little more thought.

...and no different between someone that wears armor and someone that doesn't as long as they have the same AC.

Since wearing armor doesn't guarantee that a hit to a vital spot's damage will always be reduced this is a non-issue. Not wearing armor doesn't guarantee that he took a more grievous wound when he erred his evasion attempt than if he had worn armor either. Let hp totals make that determination since it's their job.

Grell

First Post
I totally just found the armor variant I love... I the 3.X Unearthed Arcana is a section on Armor as DR, but just after that, page 112, it gives a system where armor not only ads to AC, but also coverts damage into non-lethal. This means combats are an the same level of deadliness when fighting, but most combats leave you with less overall damage. I like that a lot.

S

Sunseeker

I like the idea of armor as damage reduction, but I also like the idea of armor preventing you from getting hit. I believe that armor is suitably(du dun tish), plain enough to provide room for adding damage reduction on to AC.

I would probably do it something along the lines of the way armor already adds to AC, though probably only half the bonus.

Thing is though, at level 10, a +1 suit of plate armor that prevents say, 5 damage from every hit is going to be a lot less valuable than a mundane suit of plate armor that prevents 3-4 damage from every hit at level 1.

I realize there's a plan for flatter math in the upcoming edition, but even at 20th level with +5 plate that prevents 10 damage of every hit, when you have 300 HP, a healer with nigh-unlimited healing, and are being hit with between 50 and 200 points of damage per turn, preventing 10 of that really isn't a big deal.

Looking at it from an MTG standpoint, preventing damage is great if there is a soft cap on the damage dealt. If it's unrealistic that you'll ever take more than 10 points of damage in a single time, preventing 5 is a big deal. If it's reasonable that you'll take 50 or more, preventing 5-10 isn't as important.

variant

Adventurer
If a critical hit penetrates DR, what creatures are vulnerable? Can you crit. a ghost if it has DR vs. non-magical weapons? Does DR apply only vs. AC or does it apply against any physical effects like a fireball or meteor storm?

Wouldn't undead ability simply be 'immune to critical hits'? The AC as damage reduction would basically remove the old 3e DR system. You would want something like 'Vulnerabilities:' for some creatures where things like magical weapons or silver do additional damage or ignore AC.

Your argument flies in the face of history. The Katana was a superb weapon as was the scimitar, their long edges and slashing strokes destroying lightly armoured foes. But both would be terrible against plate armour because they need to actually cut through more steel to get the edge in. If you want to penetrate armour use as narrow a cross section as possible.

Except I am not out to create realism.

Last edited:

triqui

Adventurer
It absolutely does. High level D&D characters are like John Wayne in the movies: they can keep fighting with 5 knives sticking in their back, a slit throat and a bulette still chewing one of their legs. :p

I can tell you that my 10th level Barbarian can be tied, sleeping, and found helpless by 5 regular level 1 bandits, those can go, and coup de grace him, and he will not die.
with average +1 str bonus, 2d8+2=11. I can make that save. And 55 hp is nothing.

So yes, leveling make my character able to take 5 longswords in the guts and keep fighting.

triqui

Adventurer
I think this video gives an idea about how you should attack a plate armor with a zweihander.

And yes, I'm fully aware that is not a plater armor. But whatever, I rest my case.

Minute 7'51''

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM]Two Handed Great Sword - YouTube[/ame]

Derren

Hero
I think this video gives an idea about how you should attack a plate armor with a zweihander.

Technically true, except against a moving and armed opponent no one would move like this guy and do imprecise all out attacks or, god forbid, throw his weapon.

But yes, against plate armor swords were used like spears.
This here would be a better example (sadly this is only about duels which had their own fighting styles)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S_Q3CGqZmg]Gladiatoria : Part 1/6 : Swordfight in Armour : Hammaborg - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

triqui

Adventurer
Technically true, except against a moving and armed opponent no one would move like this guy and do imprecise all out attacks or, god forbid, throw his weapon.

But yes, against plate armor swords were used like spears.
This here would be a better example (sadly this is only about duels which had their own fighting styles)
Gladiatoria : Part 1/6 : Swordfight in Armour : Hammaborg - YouTube

Yeah, that's right. I mean, I know a car door is not a guy with plate & mail :p

But the thing is, physics are the same. A thrust has more penetrating power than a cut, that's basic. You could *not* cut a car by half with a sword. But you *can* pierce it with a thrusting power.

You might use a zweihander to give a two-handed chop if you want. But not to pierce the armor, but to maul the guy inside the armor, keep the distance, and so on.

There are pictures of german XV century fencing techniques where the guy took the swrod by the blade, and uses the hilt as a warhammer. Actually, that's a much better option against a full plate :p

Remove ads