Armor Enchantment for Paladin

Thalionalfirin

First Post
What is a better armor enchantment for a paladin... Heavy Fortification or Soulfire?

I have high saves due to a very high charisma so making saves against death magic is not overly difficult.

Just looking for opinions regarding the relative merits between the two enchantments.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Both are darned good enchantments. My own pally has a Soulfire equivalent and just picked up Light (eventually to be standard) Fortification. Good stuff.

How often does your paladin suffer sneak attacks? How often is he the target of death effects?

Thanee

First Post
Medium Fortification is a pretty good deal. :)
You could also get Death Ward and something else for the same price. ;)

What Paladins really need is a reroll for their saves. Luckblade! :D

BTW, what book was Soulfire in again? BoED?

Bye
Thanee

PrinceZane

First Post
Thanee said:
Medium Fortification is a pretty good deal. :)
You could also get Death Ward and something else for the same price. ;)

What Paladins really need is a reroll for their saves. Luckblade! :D

BTW, what book was Soulfire in again? BoED?

Bye
Thanee

Aye. BoED - pg 112

"Soulfire - This armor's wearer is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, and energy drain, and any negative energy effects (such as from chill touch or inflict effects)."

moritheil

First Post
Thalionalfirin said:
What is a better armor enchantment for a paladin... Heavy Fortification or Soulfire?

I have high saves due to a very high charisma so making saves against death magic is not overly difficult.

Just looking for opinions regarding the relative merits between the two enchantments.

If you pick Soulfire up, you would do so for the immunity to necromantic effects that you can't save against. (You're assuming that everything you can save against, you will.)

I have to agree with a previous poster - this does all depend on how often you get critted or Sneak Attacked. Does your DM like to use high-crit weapons or rogue type enemies?

Endur

First Post
moritheil said:
(You're assuming that everything you can save against, you will.)

errr, no. If you buy Soulfire, its because you know your character *will* die after rolling lots of D20s. And being immune means you don't have to roll a d20 and fear the inevitable 1.

My favorite character would much prefer Soulfire, but ... it all depends on your defenses.

If you have a high armor class, you are probably not worried about being sneak attacked or critical hitted, so you prefer Soulfire. If your armor class is lower, heavy fortification might be a good investment, because crits and sneak attacks may be a greater threat.

The re-roll for saves could fill the soul-fire role, except for immunity to level drain.

Last edited:

Remove ads