• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor spikes & TWF-Pennalties

Kodam

First Post
Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before...

Armor spikes can be used as off-hand weapons, right? IIRC you do incure the pennalties for TWF just for having an off-hand weapon ready even if you don't actually use it.
Do you incure TWF-Pennalties for just having armor spikes on your armor (and using a weapon)?

Kodam

Last edited:

Darklone

Theoretically you can do that. There's been a thread recently where Pax IIRC proposed to give the Armour spikes 0ft reach...

Otherwise there's nothing wrong with a dude with greatsword and armourspikes attacking at -2 to all attacks... or two weapons plus armourspikes... It's not balanced, it's somehow silly, but it's "da rulz".

drunkmoogle

First Post
A similar, and possibly a more balanced option, may be to make Armor spikes a "One Handed" weapon, as opposed to a light weapon. Meaning that, for the puropses of TWF (and power attack :)), it would be treated as a one-handed weapon. No more munchkiny 2d6 + 1.5 STR and 1d6 + .5 STR... (total of x2 STR!) unless you take the penalty. Man... I liked the 3.0 weapon size system better.

Zero reach I don't like... armor spikes are there as a backup weapon in case you get disarmed. Nothing like a good knee two feet painfully above the shins to pierce from below.

I think I just gave myself goosebumps.

/cringe

Remove ads