• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Armor with no arcane spell casting penality

paqman

First Post
Hi all,

Anyone knows of a magic item or a possible enhancement that can be enchanted in an armor to have no spell castng penality

What I would like to enchant with my character is a
ThanksMithril shirt +3, Shadow, Silent with no Arcane spell failure.

Any thoughts on the amount of bonus it would require(+1, +2, ...) or if already existing rules cover this?

Thnks

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The core rules don't have any enhancements that reduce arcane spell failure (other than using Mithril). AFAIK, none of the WOTC supplements do either.

I happen to think this is intentional. If it were that easy to remove spell failure chance, mages would walk around in full plate armor, just like the fighters.

paqman

First Post
Yeah I agree about the full plate thing, it's for play balance, but in our campaings we ususally try to stay consistent with the past, with previous rules, we had the possibility to have Underdark chain mails that would not impair casting at all.

I just wanted some continuity in this case. (Since the campaing has been going on for the entire Adnd/DnD eras)

LokiDR

First Post
Book of Eldritch Might 2, page 53, armor of Spellcasting. Reduces the arcane chance of spell failure by 15%. +2 enchantment.

I also believe there is an enchantment in Magic of Ferun for 5% reduction in arcane spell failure.

Sejs

First Post
from Book of Eldrich Might (..least I think it was from there)

Spellcasting (+2): -15% to the armor's Arcane Spell Failure chance.

Superior Spellcasting (+4): armor has a 0% Arcane Spell Failure chance.

Wolf72

Explorer
options?

I did a conversion of ringmail a while back (if you look thru the last 4 or so pages in house rules you'll find a table thread that has it)

Light armor: Ringmail
+3 AC
+3 MaxDex
-3 ACP
10% ASF
20lb
50gp

when made out of mithril it has a 0% ASF, combine that with a mithral buckler and you're set.

I don't think it's too munchy, I could see most spell casters going for bracers

since I'm pretty stingy with magic (and item creation) I don't think it would (IMC) be abused to bad [note: not playtested]

paqman

First Post
Wow, great stuff guys, I'll look into my copy of the book of eldritch might 2 tonight, thanks a lot.

I do have to find some time to read those damn books.

:)

LokiDR

First Post
I know you didn't ask, but there armor in Quintisential Fighter called "Silk Shirt" no ASF, but suitable for enchanting.

If you find the right 3rd party books, I'm sure there are others.

Voadam

Legend
Quintessential wizard has wizard's armor, mundane masterwork armor which has lower AC bonus in return for lower spell failure. I forget specifics but I think leather would be no penalty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads