• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Art from Piratecat's story hour

Craer

First Post
Old Friends.

Please be aware, this is as graphic as the description suggests.

“I don’t think it’ll come to. . . Oh, Calphas.” Velendo stumbles back from a painting in disgust. Stone Bear strolls over.

“Nice.” His tone is amused.

“What is it?” asks Priggle from the other room.

“It’s a great big painting entitled Old Friends,” answers Velendo with a tremor in his voice. He sounds old. “Fantastic brushwork. It shows Soder sharing a friendly meal with Nolin, just sitting there and talking with big smiles on their faces. Looks just like them.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound so bad,” says Agar hopefully.

“Yeah, except they’re drinking wine out of cups made from Mara and Malachite’s unflayed skulls, and their meal happens to be intestines yanked from my own body.”

“Oh.” Agar considers for a second. “Okay, I take it back. That is bad.”

You've been warned.

Enjoy. :)

EDIT: I ran out of bandwidth. Bear with me for a second. And yes, I know Geocities stinks.
EDIT, the second: Changed to a PhotoBucket account. This should hold out.

Last edited:

Amal Shukup

First Post
Finally sat down and took a shot at one of these. Anything to keep Pkitty writing.

Hopefully recognizable as Malachite:

Malachite.jpg

A'Mal

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
WOOT! Four great updates! Which means four more consecutive weeks of updates from me, too. I'm working on this week's now.

Craer, I actually laughed when I saw yours -- I think it's Velendo's toes, and the blood sloshing out of Malachite's head. That's great.

A'Mal, that's one BEAUTIFUL picture of Malachite. Damn, just superb. The emerald is perfect, and even Karthos matches my image of it. In fact, you made me realize that I forgot something very important from my last update. . . I'll work it into my next one.

A-MG, I like the angel picture very much. He kind of has a "I know I'm screwed" look on his face. :)

And Ashy? Funny! I'd love to see the whole crew.

Thank you, everyone. I'm deeply honored and appreciative -- not to mention very, very impressed by some of the artists*. I'd love to see more.

- Kevin

* I'm specifically excluding Sagiro's self-portrait here. You hear me, stick figure boy? Excluded! You're just lucky I'm impressed with you for all sorts of other reasons. *grin*

Last edited:

A'mal:

That rocks. I especially love that sword. Man this is a great thread, and not just beacuse we get more updates from PCat's SH. I know my art can't hold a candle to most of this great stuff, but this is a great way for me to get a few ideas and such for getting better at this, myself.

I'll crank out another sketch sometime...have to browse through some older updates and see if inspiration strikes. Who knows, maybe if I do enough of these I'll be as good as some of these other artists. Either way, more SH updates! :p

Amal Shukup

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
I especially love that sword...

...This is a great way for me to get a few ideas and such for getting better at this, myself.

In the spirit of sharing... Sword was a pretty straightforward technique. I use Photoshop to draw in ('cuz my hardware doesn't have the stones for Painter - which I'd rather be using...) I used two layers. Basically, a solid white blade (using the line tool a couple of times to get the shape). Darker line for the groove. Then, on the second layer, just tooling over the sword with big swirly strokes using some kind of pattern brush (I think these were stars) then slap a couple of filters (Noise, Gaussian Blur) on it, drop the layer opacity and merge the layers.

I REALLY want to draw Velendo. I've got his head done (I like drawing faces and such), but his shield is currently sapping my will to live :)

P-Kitty: I'd love an updated description of him too (like these) wasn't there something about a halo? Also, is Cruciel still livin in his shadow?

Thanks!

A'Mal

Amal Shukup said:
In the spirit of sharing... Sword was a pretty straightforward technique. I use Photoshop to draw in ('cuz my hardware doesn't have the stones for Painter - which I'd rather be using...) I used two layers. Basically, a solid white blade (using the line tool a couple of times to get the shape). Darker line for the groove. Then, on the second layer, just tooling over the sword with big swirly strokes using some kind of pattern brush (I think these were stars) then slap a couple of filters (Noise, Gaussian Blur) on it, drop the layer opacity and merge the layers.

Interesting. :) I really should use more computers with my stuff. Maybe I'll give it a try with some other stuff...

P-Kitty: I'd love an updated description of him too (like these) wasn't there something about a halo? Also, is Cruciel still livin in his shadow?

Agreed, though I just got an idea for another sketch!

"Nolin:

CURRENTLY IN STORY HOUR: A pile of grey dust, burnt feathers and slagged equipment."

;)

Remove ads