Art theft & copyright violation?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yup. But someone still has to think of it and pay for the initial consult.

Plus, the class has to be certified by the court, which isn't a rubber stamp process.

BigVanVader

First Post
See, in the old days, larger companies had legbreakers for precisely this sort of thing. WOTC needs to get a few of their Martial classes together, if they have any.

It sounds like that's happened lots of times. He just pops up elsewhere.

It might be worth checking out where he is actually located. WHOIS shows a site registration via an Australian registrar but a US based registrant:

Registrant Name: Julia Shipman
Registrant Organization: Julia Shipman
Registrant Street: 2105 Maple Street
Registrant City: Lawrenceville
Registrant State/Province: IL
Registrant Postal Code: 62439
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.6189433317

WHOIS often has bogus information, but sometimes people slip up.

I had a scumbag once who was giving away our content off of his parents business server in Canada. I faxed a a couple of letters to the business. He contacted us through our contact email with all sorts of threats of a lawsuit. I sent another one addressed to his dad and the illegal contest hosting went away.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It might be worth checking out where he is actually located. WHOIS shows a site registration via an Australian registrar but a US based registrant:

Registrant Name: Julia Shipman
Registrant Organization: Julia Shipman
Registrant Street: 2105 Maple Street
Registrant City: Lawrenceville
Registrant State/Province: IL
Registrant Postal Code: 62439
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.6189433317

WHOIS often has bogus information, but sometimes people slip up.

I had a scumbag once who was giving away our content off of his parents business server in Canada. I faxed a a couple of letters to the business. He contacted us through our contact email with all sorts of threats of a lawsuit. I sent another one addressed to his dad and the illegal contest hosting went away.

No, that's not what I meant. I meant it sounds like it doesn't phase him. Take away some hosting, he moved elsewhere. There's a lot of hosts out there. Some of them in countries which are less receptive to takedown notices. It's like all the torrent sites - it's hard even for governments to get rid of them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
No, that's not what I meant. I meant it sounds like it doesn't phase him. Take away some hosting, he moved elsewhere. There's a lot of hosts out there. Some of them in countries which are less receptive to takedown notices. It's like all the torrent sites - it's hard even for governments to get rid of them.

Anyone read the following slashdot story?

http://m.slashdot.org/story/207523

It speaks about how people like the Pirate Bay have such sophisticated cloud infrastructures that they hop domains like people change socks, with their actual servers containing the copyrighted material never in jeopardy as they migrate from cloud services country to country. The only real way to stop the most egregious offenders is still to find different ways of tackling them, and changing public opinion against them, because simple legal affronts are taking more and more effort and becoming less and less effective.

Ryujin

Legend

I did much the same thing, without going through the official process, when someone was using my pictures out of license and refused to respond to emails, or registered letters. In my case his entire site was taken down, though my content was just a fraction.

Remove ads