• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Article on Wired.com poking fun at gamers

F5

Explorer
There's an article in Wired Magazine's online alt.text column talking about D&D. The article starts off pointing out how comparisons can be made between D&D and Cooking; both pastimes contain voluminous books that contain complex formulas to follow, be they recipes for Flan, or a Task Resolution System. The author goes on to consider how different the Food Network would be if Foodies took their cookbooks as seriously as we take our rulebooks.

It's...not exactly complimentary. But it IS funny. The guy has obviously spent some quality time on gaming message boards recently, is all I'm saying.

The article can be found here .

Wormwood

Adventurer
Posted: 2:17 a.m. by LordOrcus I have read the new Better Joy Cookbook and I am devastated to my very core. Their macaroni and cheese recipe, the very macaroni and cheese I've been making since I was in college, has been ravaged and disfigured and left bleeding on the page. Where once it contained only cheddar cheese, now the recipe calls for a mix of cheddar and Colby. It may contain macaroni, and it may contain cheese, but it is not macaroni and cheese. This is a slap in the face and a knife in the gut. You have lost me, Better Joy Cookbook. I would bid you goodbye, but I wish you nothing but the pain and rage you have delivered unto me
*applause*

Psion

Adventurer
F5 said:
It's...not exactly complimentary.

I'm not insulted. Then, I don't self-identify with what he is saying.

I'd say if you do, perhaps "if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change". But then, I imagine the true target or Lore's diatribe either don't know or care.

To me, is is less about nerdrage and more about "confidence to do your own thing looked at under the nerdrage lens". Though the satirical vector here is the nerdrage, you subtract that, and yeah, I can see parallels between hidebound gamers and hidebound cooks. People who won't or don't know to substitute a half cup of shortening for a half cup of butter if they don't have any on hand.

hong

WotC's bitch
Psion said:

I'd say if you do, perhaps "if you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change". But then, I imagine the true target or Lore's diatribe either don't know or care.

To me, is is less about nerdrage and more about "confidence to do your own thing looked at under the nerdrage lens". Though the satirical vector here is the nerdrage, you subtract that, and yeah, I can see parallels between hidebound gamers and hidebound cooks. People who won't or don't know to substitute a half cup of shortening for a half cup of butter if they don't have any on hand.
In MY day, generic food metaphors used peanut butter and ice cream, and we LIKED it.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Posted: 2:17 a.m. by LordOrcus I have read the new Better Joy Cookbook and I am devastated to my very core. Their macaroni and cheese recipe, the very macaroni and cheese I've been making since I was in college, has been ravaged and disfigured and left bleeding on the page. Where once it contained only cheddar cheese, now the recipe calls for a mix of cheddar and Colby. It may contain macaroni, and it may contain cheese, but it is not macaroni and cheese. This is a slap in the face and a knife in the gut. You have lost me, Better Joy Cookbook. I would bid you goodbye, but I wish you nothing but the pain and rage you have delivered unto me

Wormwood said:
*applause*

Heh... Agreed. That is a delightful skewering.

F5

Explorer
Psion said:

I doubt anyone will entirely self-identify with what he's saying, considering the exaggerations for satire's sake. I am in the camp that's been saying "4E has no druids, or illusionists, or bards...it's incomplete!", but looking at it from this point of view helps put it all in perspective.

Funny stuff, regardless. With just a hint of cautionary tale, seasoned with infinite oregano !

:cool:

Last edited:

FalcWP

Explorer
F5 said:
I doubt anyone will entirely self-identify with what he's saying...

No, nobody will self-identify, because nobody thinks they sound that stupid when they're posting.

However, I think most people will recognize somebody else's posts in there, even with any exaggeration (and from what I've seen recently, there's actually very little exaggerating going on there).

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Community discontent is in lots of places. Just go to the WoW forums if you don't believe me, they have more anti-WoW posts that anywhere else.

I believe the actual reason that there isn't any tabletop RPG shows on G4 might be the fact that it is called the "Video gamers network." I had to take someone else's word for that though, as I don't watch TV anymore.

Remove ads