News Digest for May 12, 2023

New D&D streaming service, Rebellion buys Tunnels & Trolls, new Critical Role show, and more!

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New official D&D 24-hour streaming channel, Rebellion buys Tunnels & Trolls, new Doctor Who RPG books, and more!

For a quick summary of the week’s news, Jessica Hancock will bring you up to speed with EN Live's This Week in TTRPG every Friday.

Don’t forget, you can keep up with all the week’s gaming news in detail with Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk. This week, Morrus, Peter, and Jessica talk about the changes in the remaster of Pathfinder 2nd Edition.

LotRRP5ECoverSmall.jpg

In case you missed it elsewhere on EN World this week:
Dungeons-Dragons-Adventures-FAST-Channel_png.png

Entertainment One, the media company owned by Hasbro, announced a new streaming service Dungeons & Dragons Adventures. Reporting comes from Variety so I’ll try to translate the entertainment-speak in parentheses. The FAST (Free Ad-Supported Streaming Television) service will feature celebrity-focused unscripted content (D&D actual play series with famous people) along with back catalog content (the 1980s Dungeons & Dragons animated series and anything else they have rights to). The FAST channel will also feature third-party content from internet creators and influencers with a focus on live gameplay (archives of big-name Twitch and YouTube streamers). Three new series are listed as part of the “unscripted content”, Encounter Party featuring the cast from the podcast of the same name in a new video series adding on new cast member Khary Payton (Walking Dead). Faster, Purple Worm! Kill! Kill! is an “improv comedy spin” on a D&D actual play with a revolving cast including series co-creator Matthew Lillard (Hackers, Scream, Scooby Doo, co-founder of Beadle & Grimm’s). Heroes’ Feast will be part talk show, part cooking competition based on recipes from the official Dungeons & Dragons cookbook of the same name starring executive chef Mike Haracz and actor and “first level cook” Sujata Day (Insecure, The Guild). The network is expected to launch this summer.

69576F30-E395-45A7-A6E1-7F0D1DA0EBC3.png

Cubicle 7 announced two new books for The Doctor Who Roleplaying Game. First, we have The Thirteenth Doctor Sourcebook outlining the adventures of Jodie Whitaker’s 13th Doctor. The book covers multiple episodes from 13’s run on the show and how to integrate her adventures into your own game from playing them directly or spin-off adventures based on the events. It will also include statistics for her “extended fam” including the Thirteenth Doctor, Karvanista, Abby, Shawna, and Cleo. The PDF is available now on DriveThruRPG for $22.99, while the hardcover is available for pre-order for €41.99 (£36.99, US$44.99) with a scheduled Q4 2023 release.

Second, there’s the Alien Archive for the Doctor Who: Doctors and Daleks 5e roleplaying game. This sourcebook features over 60 monsters and aliens from The Doctor’s roster of enemies and allies across time and space from Axos to Zygons with complete 5e stats. So yes, you can bring the Weeping Angels to your D&D game if you really want to. The PDF is available now on DriveThruRPG for $22.99 while the hardcover is available for pre-order for €41.99 (£36.99, US$44.99) with a scheduled Q3 2023 release.

Candela-Obscura-Cast-Photo.jpg

Critical Role announced a new actual play series titled Candela Obscura. The series will use the rules from their upcoming Illuminated Worlds system from the company’s publishing arm, Darrington Press, and follows “an esoteric order of investigators as they use centuries of knowledge to fight back a mysterious source of corruption and bleed.” This new show will feature Lightkeeper (the system’s term for the GM) Taliesin Jaffe with players Robbie Daymond, Laura Bailey, Anjali Bhimani, Ashley Johnson, and Matt Mercer. The show premiers on May 25 at 7:00 PM Pacific (10:00 PM Eastern, 3:00 AM BST) on Twitch and YouTube with a VOD and podcast available two weeks after.

152613.jpg

Rebellion announced the acquisition of the rights to the entire game line of Flying Buffalo. Flying Buffalo’s catalog includes the early D&D competitor Tunnels & Trolls first published in 1975 along with the Grimtooth and Citybook series of sourcebooks, the spy game Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes, and many other RPGs products. Tunnels & Trolls was not only one of the first competitors to Dungeons & Dragons, but also innovated RPGs by creating a more player-focused system along with revolutionary solo play rules. The rights to the company’s games ended up with a holding company following the passing of founder and CEO Rick Loomis in 2019, with Rebellion Unplugged announcing the purchase of the rights this week. Rebellion has stated that previous Flying Buffalo products will remain available on DriveThruRPG while they work on the next chapter of Tunnels & Trolls releases. Rebellion is a video game developer and publisher best known for the Sniper Elite franchise along with their acquisition of the comic anthology series 2000 AD and its popular franchises like Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper. The company announced the launch of its tabletop gaming division, Rebellion Unplugged, in 2019 and began reissuing classic Judge Dredd and other 2000 AD related board games.

1500x1500_225432e5f05a7036cf1925b716220cadb320edd7c1cd39bab47aee25.jpg

WizKids announced two new miniature sets to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Drizzt Do’Urden. The sets of prepainted miniatures with characters from the novels split into Family & Foes (which for Drizzt is mostly synonymous) and Companions. Families & Foes comes with Guenhwyvar, Gromph Baenre, Jaraxle Baenre, Triel Baenre, Zaknafein Do’Urden, and Malice Do’Urden. The Companion boxed set features Drizzt Do’Urden, Guenhwyvar, Wulfgar, Artemis Entreri, Bruenor Battlehammer, Cattie-brie Battlehammer, and Regis. Yes, Guenhwyvar is listed twice, but the animated black panther is in two different poses in the different sets. Each set will retail for $49.99 with an expected retail release date of October 2023.

71WPJlEdyfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Catalyst Game Labs is launching a line of plushies toys for the BattleTech game titled PlushyTech. Each stuffy will be 12” tall and the line features an UrbanMech in House Liao colors and the Phoenix Hawk from House Kurita and from the mercenary company 21st Centauri Lancers. Slightly larger are the 18” plushies of the Archer in colors of the mercenary companies Kell Hounds and Wolf’s Dragoons, plus the dreaded Atlas standing at 18” tall in House Davion colors and from the mercenaries Eridani Light Horse. The price for the plushies ranges from $34.99 to $49.99 and will be available on May 31.

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Those Drizzt minis from wizkids look nice, I’ll have to remember to look for or order them as they get closer to release. Hopefully the Artemis mini doesn’t look like his shoulder is out of socket like the one from a few years ago. Left shoulder and arm looked like it was a foot lower than the right coming out from the cloak.

Abstruse

Legend
Those Drizzt minis from wizkids look nice, I’ll have to remember to look for or order them as they get closer to release. Hopefully the Artemis mini doesn’t look like his shoulder is out of socket like the one from a few years ago. Left shoulder and arm looked like it was a foot lower than the right coming out from the cloak.
The article from ICv2 has images of all the minis if you want a closer look at any of them, but here's Entreri.

entreri.png

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Catalyst Game Labs is launching a line of plushies toys for the BattleTech game titled PlushyTech. Each stuffy will be 12” tall and the line features an UrbanMech in House Liao colors and the Phoenix Hawk from House Kurita and from the mercenary company 21st Centauri Lancers. Slightly larger are the 18” plushies of the Archer in colors of the mercenary companies Kell Hounds and Wolf’s Dragoons, plus the dreaded Atlas standing at 18” tall in House Davion colors and from the mercenaries Eridani Light Horse. The price for the plushies ranges from $34.99 to $49.99 and will be available on May 31.
No Timber Wolf?

I hope this D&D "channel" isn't a stand-alone app, This seems like the perfect thing for services like Pluto TV (sister company of Paramount) or Tubi. Also, didn't know Lillard was into D&D and co-founded B&G. Neat.

Abstruse

Legend
I hope this D&D "channel" isn't a stand-alone app, This seems like the perfect thing for services like Pluto TV (sister company of Paramount) or Tubi. Also, didn't know Lillard was into D&D and co-founded B&G. Neat.
Yeah, that's the model they seem to be using, Pluto/Tubi/Freevee. So it'll probably look a lot like those services.

And yeah, that was B&G's big media push was putting Lillard up front and center on it. The About Us page on their website still calls the company Lillard's midlife crisis.

ukdane

Explorer
Is there an issue with the News Digest being sent out via email? I haven't received one in my inbox for weeks now, and there's nothing in my spam folder either.
Do I need to sign up to receive the news digest per email again somewhere (I don't recall).
Thanks

Abstruse

Legend
Is there an issue with the News Digest being sent out via email? I haven't received one in my inbox for weeks now, and there's nothing in my spam folder either.
Do I need to sign up to receive the news digest per email again somewhere (I don't recall).
Thanks
There was an issue last weekend where it didn't go out on time last week (it seems due to the server migration), but was sent out on Monday. It went out last night with no issues, so you should have it if you're subscribed. You can check your profile here on EN World by clicking on your username in the upper-right and going to Preferences. There should be a checkbox under Email options titled "Receive news and update emails". The weekly mailing list is basically just this column with a few updates (regular columns that aren't posted until later like the Sales & Bundles, the weekly podcast, and This Week in TTRPGs plus if there's any big breaking news), only sent to your inbox every Sunday morning for your convenience.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads