• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Artificer Class 5e Homebrew

The Reboot Invocation needs a rewrite because constructs just die when they reach 0. Most of them, like Animated Objects, just become mundane objects when they are reduced to 0 hit points. So, it should instead say "You can touch a construct that has died in the last minute and rekindle the magics that gave it life. The construct returns to life and regains one hit point."
I understand what you were going for, but it's the fact that constructs are majorly different than living creatures, so making this a Spare the Dying for constructs doesn't quite work. Having it function like Revivify but only for constructs should be fine, though.

Also, I just noticed, there are infusions known, but no daily allotment. This, to me, feels strong. Being able to heal constructs forever seems like a problem. I think for that particular invocation, give them a number of castings equal to their Proficiency Bonus. That way, they can do it a bunch, but never too many times. Especially since that infusion has a usefulness that increases as your level does. Which brings me back to my suggestion about Reboot. It should also have a limited number of times per day. I'd suggest that ones like those, the at will infusions, should either be so minor that they're like cantrips, or be usable a number of times per day equal to your Proficiency Bonus.

hardvice

First Post
Most of the infusions do have limits — either once per (short or long) rest or INT uses per rest. The only ones that don't are Elemental Infusion, Enhance Weapon, Lubricant, Pending Potion, and Reboot. The first two require concentration, so you can only use one at a time, Pending Potion is limited to one potion at a time, and the last is the construct equivalent of a cantrip.

Grease at will doesn't seem much worse than most Warlock invocations that give at-wills.

I am moderately concerned about Enhance Weapon and Elemental Infusion, but in practice I don't think they'll be that overpowered, and they are basically exactly what an artificer should be able to do.

I understand your point, but the issue remains that constructs don't die like ordinary PCs do. So the Reboot Infusion doesn't work for them, as it's written. It'll work for Warforged, yes, (which I appreciate greatly as a huge lover of the Warforged) but for other constructs, which it's obviously intended to work with, it doesn't function. It can either be an at-will ability that targets only a specific construct (That can become "Dying") or a limited use per day ability that can target any construct.

hardvice

First Post
I absolutely agree re: Reboot needing to work properly with what happens to constructs (unless the intent is that it only apply to Warforged, maybe?). I was just replying to this bit:

Also, I just noticed, there are infusions known, but no daily allotment. This, to me, feels strong.

They seem to be modeled off Warlock invocations, which work the same way.

True. I have yet to playtest it, but most of the at-will infusions seem slightly stronger than an at-will ability ought to. At least, they do when you weigh just what Artificers can really do.

hardvice

First Post
Yeah, I'm going back and forth. The craft point limit is low enough that I don't think scrolls and potions are likely to be too overpowering (though the potentially unlimited spell list makes me wonder if they will be).

The stronger at-wills still feel wrong, but realistically, Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon are a much bigger deal in a setting where magic items are fairly scarce… but such a setting is pretty unlikely to have artificers. With that plus concentration, I'm a lot less worried about them.

Your point about Reboot is a good one. Even if the net result is the same as Spare the Dying, the fact that it can affect constructs is a big change. (Of course, if it can only affect living constructs, it's actually weaker than STD). That said, the most likely non-Warforged target is the Master Maker's homunculus; other than that, it's kind of situationally useful. And infusions known themselves are a limited enough resource that I doubt many non-Warforged, non-Master Makers will even bother with it.

Honestly, I really won't know about the balance on this one until I try it, I think.

Last edited:

Fair enough. I personally think that most of the at-will abilities should have a number of uses equal to the Proficiency Bonus, so that way, a character with a high ability score doesn't make spellcasters feel weak because they only get three level 1 spells at 2nd level, and this guy effectively gets 2-10 because of some awesome rolls.

After rereading it, I think potion and scroll making shouldn't be a short rest, that's just way too fast. Maybe a day or two, I'm not sure, but a short rest is deffinitely too quick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads