Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

A

André Soares

I'm with you on this. I want the class to keep a good distance with anything steampunk: no robot, gun, mech-armor and such. Most of the 3PP takes on the class includes those elements and clash with the thematic behind the rest of the PHB classes, so I'd prefer a class that would fit next to, say, a barbarian or a druid.

there's also the point that the Artificer will be added in to the Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, so it makes little sense for it to go against the setting's lore

On top of that... some people have this weird idea that EN World has some sort of outsized influence on WotC.

Well, there have been people here who have said they are playtesters and such for WotC, but whether that is true or not is debatable, since they cannot say any more than that because of supposed NDAs they have signed.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm with you on this. I want the class to keep a good distance with anything steampunk: no robot, gun, mech-armor and such. Most of the 3PP takes on the class includes those elements and clash with the thematic behind the rest of the PHB classes, so I'd prefer a class that would fit next to, say, a barbarian or a druid.

Note that I don’t have a dog in this hunt, as I’ve never played an artificer, but I am looking forward to a new class and felt like the last UA version was pretty cool and made me want to try the class.

That said, could a reason it’s taking so long to nail the class be because of the different expectations people have for it? A little bit like the Ranger issue?

If so, if the steampunk elements were kept to one or two subclasses and out of the main class would that work for you?

A

André Soares

Note that I don’t have a dog in this hunt, as I’ve never played an artificer, but I am looking forward to a new class and felt like the last UA version was pretty cool and made me want to try the class.

That said, could a reason it’s taking so long to nail the class be because of the different expectations people have for it? A little bit like the Ranger issue?

If so, if the steampunk elements were kept to one or two subclasses and out of the main class would that work for you?

The problem to me is the intent of releasing it in an Eberron product, for that product I believe all the material should make sense in the setting. Another solution would be to release the more steampunky sub-classes in another book, that would fit them better.

There is already so much confusion with a lot of people misslabelling Eberron as Steampunk (not a jab at the genre, that's just not what Eberron is) that I'd find that kind of subclass confusing.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

Expectations are really the main element WotC have to consider: some people want to play Ironman in D&D, others want a class that goes with complete crafting rules for everything in the game, others want a magic-but-not-magic-because-its-potion class etc.

For my part, I'd prefer the lowest tech level possible, but I'm fine with archetypes that evoke other genre with guns and powersuits.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
(Trying to bring the thread back to the topic)

What do you expect from this UA?

I want an Artificer the hits clser to home in relation to Eberron's lore and theme. No guns is a great start.

Well, this iteration is supposedly touched by the hand of Keith Baker, so it's a good bet that the class is going to be a bit more in line with Eberron than previous outings.

Remove ads

Remove ads