Artworks in an RPG

What did they ever do before computer rendered art was possible?

1660482481741.png

1660482553688.png

In any case the explanation of this situation brings back to my first point of the previous post: a reason for an image in a rulebook would be necessary as "aid" (concept close to infographics) rather than a moment to enjoy a good piece of art...

I don't think all RPG books need art, just like not all novels need illustrations. Every book is crafted with a different aim. I can definitely see value in a designer and publisher trying to meet the challenge of making an RPG book with zero art and doing so in a way that tries to give us something we haven't seen before or turns lack of art into a strength. But I think RPG books can have art because art is useful (it illustrates something you want readers to understand better or that they would have trouble understanding without a visual aid), it creates atmosphere, it helps with things like characterization, and because it can help make the game book an overall enjoyable thing to look at and experience (even move you). It doesn't have to be all for one reason.

But in terms of including it to create "a moment to enjoy a good piece of art", that too has value. A lot of my fondest memories of RPG books are reading through them just to look at the art itself and get ideas and inspiration from that. I even bought books that were compilations of gaming art (I seem to recall one that was all of the dragon lance artwork at the time and it was great, even though I didn't have many of the books the art came from, it helped give me a completely new sense of what Dragonlance was all about, and the art was compelling just to look at individually).

Art Waring

halozix.com
These could be closer to infographics than pieces of art
Your use of infographics in this case is I believe mistaken. Here is the definition of the word Inforgraphics:

"a visual representation of information or data, e.g. as a chart or diagram."

We were talking about artist using art as a visual aid, not representing data on a visual chart, they are completely different.

And even for this case i have serious doubts

You should watch the video [my bad, we clarified the miscommunication!], his advice is from personal experience in multiple industries. And had a myriad of published games under his name.

Last edited:

aia_2

Custom title
I don't think all RPG books need art, just like not all novels need illustrations. Every book is crafted with a different aim. I can definitely see value in a designer and publisher trying to meet the challenge of making an RPG book with zero art and doing so in a way that tries to give us something we haven't seen before or turns lack of art into a strength. But I think RPG books can have art because art is useful (it illustrates something you want readers to understand better or that they would have trouble understanding without a visual aid), it creates atmosphere, it helps with things like characterization, and because it can help make the game book an overall enjoyable thing to look at and experience (even move you). It doesn't have to be all for one reason.
I agree over this line, at all. Still I have have doubts in a situation where i need to use art in a chapter where it is explained how PCs get experience and how level-up works. Do a reader (and for a reader i mean someone interested in understanding what is the game mechanics for progression) would enjoy an artwork? My first thought goes to a need: the reader needs to understand. There is no earth where to plant the seed...
But in terms of including it to create "a moment to enjoy a good piece of art", that too has value. A lot of my fondest memories of RPG books are reading through them just to look at the art itself and get ideas and inspiration from that. I even bought books that were compilations of gaming art (I seem to recall one that was all of the dragon lance artwork at the time and it was great, even though I didn't have many of the books the art came from, it helped give me a completely new sense of what Dragonlance was all about, and the art was compelling just to look at individually).
Me too! I fell in love with rpgs mainly thanks to the b/w artowrks of Elmore (in the BECMI sets), Fabian (in the gaz series), Parkinson Easley and many others (in all the TSR modules) back in those days!

aia_2

Custom title
Your use of infographics in this case is I believe mistaken. Here is the definition of the word Inforgraphics:

"a visual representation of information or data, e.g. as a chart or diagram."

We were talking about artist using art as a visual aid, not representing data on a visual chart, they are completely different.
Please accept my apologies, no offense intended in any way!
I wanted to say (obviously in an improper way) that a visual aid is close to infographics rather than to a drawing: something close to the instructions you find in a plane... That it is a visual aid of what to do in case of problems during a flight and it is closer to my eyes to an infographic. Maybe i am wrong but i do not see the touch of an artist in creating such images. They are done ina a way they do not raise you any feeling, you do not consider (nor positively neither negatively) them.
You should watch the video before you call a thirty year veteran of the gaming industry ridiculous, his advice is from personal experience in multiple industries. And had a myriad of published games under his name.
I watched it (not the full video of 2h30'!). I didn't say that the artist is ridiculous, please don't misunderstand my words. I said that there is a serious problem with militars if they need someone to transpose into graphic form their instructions. And if this is true, i have added that i refuse the idea that an rpger has to come to a similar point to need the visual aid to understand when and how he needs to roll a die.

I agree over this line, at all. Still I have have doubts in a situation where i need to use art in a chapter where it is explained how PCs get experience and how level-up works. Do a reader (and for a reader i mean someone interested in understanding what is the game mechanics for progression) would enjoy an artwork? My first thought goes to a need: the reader needs to understand. There is no earth where to plant the seed...
I think it depends on what kind of art you are putting there. Certainly a visual aid would be handy for figuring out level progression. In terms of art for pure enjoyment, I think it boils down to whether the designers, publisher and artist think a particular art concept does something interesting with the material in question. For example I can see a situation where an artist and designer work together to come up with an illustration that is a depiction of one character advancing over many levels. That would both be something I might simply enjoy looking at, but would also be compelling because it is an interesting compositional challenge and the results are something I would want to look at, plus it connects well to the concept of leveling up and might give deeper understanding of what that means.

nyvinter

Adventurer
So to get back to my question: say that i have a chapter which explains the initiative rules, what kind of art would you use and why? (This works for any kind of rules in a rulebook)
Art in explaining the rules brings up Atomic Robo to me, and it does this excellently. Art as examples can make the rules stick in a different way than just text can.

1660495203777.png

Art Waring

halozix.com
I said that there is a serious problem with militars if they need someone to transpose into graphic form their instructions. And if this is true, i have added that i refuse the idea that an rpger has to come to a similar point to need the visual aid to understand when and how he needs to roll a die.
Well I will admit that it is kind of a heavy (long winded) example of the concept! I was just trying to share an experienced visual artist, who does have a good case for why art can help your creative work.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Try reading what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.
You wrote this. I even asked a clarifying question to be sure, because it seemed so hyperbolic to me:

Back in the days when good art was impossible, and you only had hand drawn
Me: When was this? You:
When art was hand drawn, and not done on a computer. So anything early 2000s and prior
That's you literally saying anything prior to 2000 and hand-drawn was, again to quote you, "S**t", an impossible to be good. And then you said folks who disagree were "one in few", which was even more of a strange assessment to make than the original claim. 🤷‍♂️

If I read correctly, you can't respond for 2 weeks, so in that 2 weeks, if you'd like to have a civil conversation about art, I'd be more than happy. As an artist myself, and as someone who has worked with artists professionally for more than 2 decades, I think you have some misconceptions.

Remove ads