Artworks in an RPG

Tallifer

Hero
This is the map for Justin Howe's Vaults of Ur. What could be more evocative?

Vaults of Ur map.jpg

aramis erak

Legend
This is the map for Justin Howe's Vaults of Ur. What could be more evocative?
Quite a lot, actually. I don't find it evocative. It's busy, and while vaguely informative, of little use as a map. I'm also not a fan of brown on tan.

The uniform use of perspective for the map and buildings also screams modern to me. (Perspective buildings on non-perspective maps are a medieval thing, and have been found in Mesopotamian digs as murals.

I'd find an illustration in situ of any one place noted thereupon more evocative - a labeled town map always is more evocative than a regional map for me.

Quite a lot, actually. I don't find it evocative. It's busy, and while vaguely informative, of little use as a map. I'm also not a fan of brown on tan.

The uniform use of perspective for the map and buildings also screams modern to me. (Perspective buildings on non-perspective maps are a medieval thing, and have been found in Mesopotamian digs as murals.

I'd find an illustration in situ of any one place noted thereupon more evocative - a labeled town map always is more evocative than a regional map for me.
Likewise. I would be giving the product a negative review for a junk map like that.

aia_2

Custom title
Likewise. I would be giving the product a negative review for a junk map like that.

Oh please! That is a map... That cannot be considered an artwork and it is ridiculous to neg a book for a map... It would be similar if i start to say that you have an awful avatar and therefore anything you write on these boards is crap, that would be extremely unfair towards your person.

Re to the map, i don't want to go against the first comment as everyone has a sensibility and even a map could be found evocative... I will simply say that o do not find it extremely interesting nor as an artwork neither as a support to the game.

aia_2

Custom title
Back to the original discussion: i post here below an image... I'd like to hear from you if this could be a nice artwork in the chapter of a setting where the underground cultures are explained, in parrticular those of the mighty dwarven cities beneath the earth... Your opinion is welcome!

Attachments

• Test_underground.jpg
    Test_underground.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 49

Oh please! That is a map... That cannot be considered an artwork and it is ridiculous to neg a book for a map... It would be similar if i start to say that you have an awful avatar and therefore anything you write on these boards is crap, that would be extremely unfair towards your person.

Re to the map, i don't want to go against the first comment as everyone has a sensibility and even a map could be found evocative... I will simply say that o do not find it extremely interesting nor as an artwork neither as a support to the game.
Maps make a setting. I would never consider a setting that didn't have very detailed to-scale maps. I've given many negative reviews on that score.

Back to the original discussion: i post here below an image... I'd like to hear from you if this could be a nice artwork in the chapter of a setting where the underground cultures are explained, in parrticular those of the mighty dwarven cities beneath the earth... Your opinion is welcome!
Meh. At least it is color, but it looks very impractical: no bridges. How do they get from one area of the city to another.

It also appears to be open to the sky, which is odd considering it is supposed to be 'a city beneath the earth'.

nyvinter

Adventurer
It doesn't feel like it's underground but more among the mountains. I don't know how the big floaty rock in the middle is suspended but for me it feels very out of place due to the sunlight around it. And there's nothing connecting all the samey buildings all around — buildings who seem to be drawn using a scatter brush and left at "good enough" and machine-learned from middle eastern town squares rather than any kind of underground fixture.

But then again: "good enough vibes" is basically all Midjourney does.

Remove ads