• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aryana Players Fourm

Felix

Explorer
Criminy. I guess I'll spell it out.

Money (from whereever I can get it)==> people of Jehna.

People of Jehna==> unified effort to make the slums a better place to live (remember how it reminded us of the orc labor encampment), this includes Marauder's description of how I want to fix up the sanctum.

During unified effort==> money goes to feed the Jehnans who arn't working for pay, they're working for themselves

After unified effort==> people of Jehna help the Phradans in what ever way they can to protect the city from possible attack (this includes making bandages for the wounded and that sort of thing)

The White Sanctum will not like a permanent Dissenting School sect sanctum in the city

Cato is going to the White Sanctum to talk to Zakaryah about that exact same thing.

Don't want to step on toes while reconstructing the slum...

Cato is going to seek an audience with the Tyrants to talk about the Jehnans near future here, including their lodging. In return for their accepting refugees, the Jehnans will help them where they can.

If the cleric uses his money to make the church pretty while the rogue uses his money to feed the hungry, well, that's a bit skewed.

For cyring out loud...:( , the sanctum is part of the Jehnans section of town, and I don't want there to be rotting tables and trash in the corner. I can do without the golden chalices and silk vestments. And if you're looking for financial recompense for your help, then sell my armor and mace. You still have it.

re: Equila

I think she would be safe from the mob if Alexandra looks after her while both are housed with the Tyrants. I will sue for this if you want me to bring your sister up. Otherwise, I will just ask if Alexandra could stay there.

Something completely different

Not that this is anytime soon, but I was thinking of taking Leadership at 6th level. I thought an Abjurer would be an appropriate addition to the party, seeing as right now we only have one caster, and no arcane support. Ideas?

Cyris

First Post
You would trust a group called the "Tyrants" with the safty of your kin? :) In all seriousness I have already started the process of building/spending so Cyris is ok with the current situation.

MarauderX

Explorer
Felix said:

Something completely different

Not that this is anytime soon, but I was thinking of taking Leadership at 6th level. I thought an Abjurer would be an appropriate addition to the party, seeing as right now we only have one caster, and no arcane support. Ideas?

Sure, it sounds like a good plan, but considering the level he will be we may spend more time and energy keeping him alive than me. Of course he wouldn't go about reading everything with writing on it or skipping through a room full of nasties, right? :)
Then again if he croaks we can always get a new one, there have to be a few milling around Phrada...

Or you can take another "Turning" feat to add to Cato's strength in that department in case we face yet more undead in the Ghinn strongholds we are sure to encounter. That would be my choice, and after all I will take another arcane caster as my 4th PC in this campaign. If I time it right (about four months from now) I could have him start at 5th level, just in time for fireball. :D

Ajax

Explorer
I don't want there to be rotting tables and trash in the corner. I can do without the golden chalices and silk vestments.

Understood, sounds good to me. I'm not looking to be paid back for the money I gave, it just wouldn't be the first time in history that an organized religon used funds in a questionable manner (maybe it would in Aryana, but who know), like when you see those pie charts of money donated to charity how like 40 cents of every dollar goes to som sort of unspecified 'administrative costs' I just didn't want that to happen.
Actualy I wans't worried about reconstructing the slums annoying the Tyrants. I'd assume that they'd be for any kind of urban renewal project that doesn't cost them anything.

I'm guessing by Cy's smilie that he was kidding when he said Tyrants was a bad thing, but just in case, last time Corey explained that it does not have the connotations which we now attach to it.

I'm all for adding a mage to the party, but are you sure abjurer is the way to go. It probably fits best with Cato's character, but I'm thinking if you're going to specialize, Evoker. We need something that's going to have some powerful, offensive spells and some area effect spells. We'll have two party members who are sneaky with evasion, and good reflex saves, fireballs can be really fun. Or at least we have one stupid enough to go do that, I shouldn't speak for Asad.
Cato can already provide us with good defense, do we really need extra castings of protection from normal missles or dispell magic?. Keep in mind you're looking, at best, at a 5th level guy who's going to gain 1/2 xp. Stoneskin is a long way off and Imprisonmment or Prismatic Sphere will probably never happen.

MarauderX

Explorer
Ajax said:
When you say tiny monk, does that mean you went with the halfling?

Nah, I went for maximum tweaking with a human to get the extra damage, speed, skill points and feat. I was thinking of taking a PrC in a couple of levels, like the Wearers of Black or Red Avenger(Sword & Fist). First and foremost I must stop doing stupid things and curiousity is deadlier than most of the baddies we face.

I agree we could use a caster, but as I said we might need to baby sit him if Corey runs him. If Felix gets to run him I think we would be set, and after all it's not the fights that are deadly.

Felix

Explorer
it just wouldn't be the first time in history that an organized religon used funds in a questionable manner
Why do you think Cato is a member of the Dissenting School, and not the Eternal Heirarchy? :p
Oh, and I appreciate the trust you're giving the guy who helped balm your soul when you first came to Jehna.;)

Abjurer...
I figure Abjurer for three reasons: protection spells are never, ever bad. They arn't the most versatile, but when you need them, you need them. Two: an evoker or a summoner can steal the thunder from the party, and since I'd be playing the party's two spellcasters, I don't want to do that. Besides, knowing that the cohort has the protection spells lets Cato go for the more offensive stuff, like Flame Strike. :D Three: I'd like to play an abjurer. So there. :p

And I sure hope that Corey would let me run him! Oh, and since I'd be 6th level when I pick up Leadership, the Abjurer would be 5th level, good enough for the always happy Dispel Magic.

Which school should I give up? I don't want to give up Evocation, Transmutation, or Conjuration. Nor Divination and Necromancy. So... Illusion or Enchantment?

Ajax

Explorer
I appreciate the trust you're giving the guy who helped balm your soul when you first came to Jehna

Haven't you realized that it really doesn't take much for Ajax to decide that he's paid a debt. ;)

I'd like to play an abjurer. So there.

Fair enough

I don't think necromancy is available, so it's not really a question of giving it up. You're not going to have access to it whether you consciously choose to give it up or not.
Personally, I never really saw the difference between Illusion and Enchantment, neither one involves fireball. But I'm the kind of player that judges a mage's worth by the number of fireballs he can cast, so maybe I'm not the best to ask.

Felix

Explorer
Spells 102, Things not involving Fireball :)

......Illusion...............................Enchantment
1 Color Spray...........................Charm Person
2 Invisibility..............................Tasha's Hideous Laughter
3 Displacement.........................Hold Person
4 Phantasmal Killer...................Confusion
5 Shadow Evocation.................Feeblemind
6 Permanent Image..................Mass Suggestion
7 Simulacrum............................Insanity
8 Screen...................................Mass Charm
9 Weird.....................................Dominate Monster

Come to think of it, I might drop Evocation for the principle of the thing! Look at those spells; how could you do without them?

Ajax

Explorer
Pretty well, actually, since none of them can blow up everyone in a 20 foot radius from over 400 feet away at a go.
And then you get to dealyed blast fireball so you're doing d8's instead of d6's, delicious.
Evocation is the best way to injure/kill large groups, and considering the masses of undead we'll likely be facing (who won't give a rat's ass about all the charm spells in the world, but are still going to feel a fireball, meteor swarm and the ever popular bigby's hand spells) giving up evocation out of spite probably isn't the way to go.
Like I said, I judge a mage by the number of fireballs they can cast. I didn't mean to suggest there's not another way. Just that I'm not the best to ask.

Remove ads