• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

As a DM, which class do you wish your group played more?

Which class would you prefer to see more of in the games you run?

• Barbarian

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Cleric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Druid

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Fighter

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Paladin

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Ranger

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rogue

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 18 6.8%

Chimera

First Post
Definitely Fighter.

In 2e, I got sick to death of everyone chosing to play a Ranger rather than a Fighter, just because it had extra abilities. Even people who had no business playing Rangers because they had no clue HOW to do so.

To some degree, I think this has contributed to some longer-term, older players not wanting to play Fighters in 3.0/3.5.

Just in general, I'm tired of seeing people insist on playing a strange race/class combination just because of all the special abilities. Then role-playing them like a Human Fighter with special abilities.

If you want to play a Dwarf Barbarian, then have your character ACT like a Dwarf barbarian. Not like Joe Human with an attitude problem.

Oh yeah...and as far as that goes, no more PCs with "attitude problems" please. (But that's another thread altogether.)

haiiro

First Post
Druid, because I've never DMed a party that had a druid in it (never, and I've been DMing for awhile). I've also never played one, and given how fun they look in 3.5e, my next character may well wind up as a druid.

Namfoddle

First Post
I've DMed for years now and so far I had each class in one of my campaign at least once - however, I always find it difficult to find players who really want to play a Cleric.

Some do, but usually they only play the cleric because they feel the need for the party and most of the time, the cleric is reduced to some kind of "healing machine".

Creamsteak

Explorer
Wombat said:
The only time I've really had problems with choosing of character classes is when a player chooses a classes because she/he thinks it is the class that is needed, rather than the class the person actually wishes to play.

I'd rather have a lopsided group where everyone plays what they want than to have someone second-guess they storyline and feel "saddled" with a role. ;)

I might be taking this comment the wrong way, as you did say "instead of what the person actually wishes to play." But I've gotten flak at tables for asking the DM and players, "so what all do you guys have already?" in an attempt to make sure I'm not playing the Nth character of stereotype x.

I'm a "spot filler" sort of player, mostly because I feel both competent and compelled to play just about anything (in the past two years I've played every core class at least once as a PC). I "want" to play something that other people are going to appreciate me playing. I don't really want to play every race necessarily (damn those hippy elves!), but as far as classes, I'll go with anything.

That said, my current group could use a generalist wizard with fairly broad knowledge skills. They seem to always want to have access to both, but nobody in the group really feels comfortable with playing someone as "frail" as a wizard. Probably because they are only 4th level. Wait till 8th and if history repeats itself suddenly everyone will be wanting to play a spellcaster.

Razz0putin

Explorer
of the core classes I don't think I've had anyone pull off a bard well. but I'd have to go with other just because I'm big on arcana unearthed.

Legildur

First Post
Namfoddle said:
I've DMed for years now and so far I had each class in one of my campaign at least once - however, I always find it difficult to find players who really want to play a Cleric.

Some do, but usually they only play the cleric because they feel the need for the party and most of the time, the cleric is reduced to some kind of "healing machine".

We found a way to make the cleric attractive. Everyone in our parties knows that the cleric is primarily a "healing machine", so we compensate by making the cleric one level higher than everyone else. Usually we start at 1st level, so the cleric has a fair advantage here.

Remove ads