• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

As a DM, which class do you wish your group played more?

Which class would you prefer to see more of in the games you run?

• Barbarian

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • Cleric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Druid

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Fighter

Votes: 24 9.1%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • Paladin

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Ranger

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rogue

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Wizard

Votes: 25 9.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 18 6.8%

D+1

First Post
#1 - Bard. NEVER had a player play a bard. I don't know why. They've never played a sorceror either but bards have a much longer history in the game. Also, noone's ever played a gnome in ANY game I've been involved in.

#2 - It's not really the fact that they don't play far outside the usual classes (fighter, mage, cleric, rogue) but that they also don't play far outside fairly staid race/class combinations and character concepts. In other words, I've never had to turn down a request to play a vampire, ogre, pixie, etc., much less something like a dual-scimitar wielding good-aligned drow ranger. There's little/no outside-the-box thinking when it comes to character concepts. Even then it's still mostly about gameplay spontaneity and creativity, not pushing the boundries of character concept and creation.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Spellcasters.

For some reason my players never want to play spellcasters. They seem to be on the holy quest for the almighty "Highest Attack Bonus Evar", and eschew spellcasters because they don't hit things with warmaces. So they eventually run up against something that a spellcaster could wipe the floor with, and have a hell of a time killing it.

Cymex666

First Post
I don't really have a preference of what classes my players choose. The only problem I have is players who decide to play one of the spellcasting classes and then get lazy about the bookeeping associated with playing a spellcaster. The rule in my game is that if one decides to play a wizard, cleric, druid or other type of character... know your spells! Know enough about your spells so that you don't bog down gameplay with looking up a spell description in gamebooks and whatnot.

We have started using spell cards and they have worked wonderfully.

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
Never seen a bard in my games,but that didn't ever troubled our minds! :D
Still ,we always had to face the lack of clerics in the party.
Now we are on the stage of playing without any cleric npcs around and this,althought tough turned out to be great fun!

Imperialus

Explorer
my group tends to be tragically lacking tank fighters. We have a wizard, a Sorc, 2 druids, a rather odd gnomish paladin with a flying wardog, and myself who has a Paladin/hunter of the dead mainly because I got sick of constantly playing the same vanilla fighter over and over again.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Bards.

My homebrew setting has a vast and rich history, and is heavily detailed, with lost and forgotten gods/kingdoms/villians/heroes, etc.

My group hasn't twigged on to the fact that a bard is one of thier most weapons.

Alhazred

First Post
Since the introduction of 3.0, I've only ever had one person play a rogue. His character was amasing; he perfected a combat technique in which he'd hide on the first round, attack (or sneak attack if within range) and then move out of the opponent's line of sight on the second, hide and move back within striking distance on the third round, attack and begin the process over again on the fourth round. He purchased a Cloak and Boots of Elvenkind, had the wizard cast Cat's Grace, procurred some Bracers of Archery, anything to improve his hide and move silently abilities. The character had the most kills in the game.

Since that campaign, no one has tried to reproduce that rogue, or even develop a new rogue. That pretty much spelled disaster when they recently tried to navigate The Banewarrens.

Kyrail

First Post
I pretty shocked that no one would black a Cleric, I always considered them one of the biggest unbalanced (I do play one by the way :p ) classes in the game. But since they're a support class it balances out in my eyes. Given a chance to pre-buff, a cleric can clean up just about anything. Bab of the fighter, size of a house knocking baddies across the battle mat. If not, he's gonna be slinging assault magic, or buff up the party tank. Im really enjoying playing a cleric right now, and I didn't build him very well.

derelictjay

Explorer
The times I've DMed, the only core class that I've never had the pleasure of disembowling a druid (especially in a wildshape form, yum yum). Yeah, I think I'd like to DM a group with a druid in it.

The class that gets overplayed when I DM, the Rogue, I usually have to beg for someone to pick something other than a rogue, it might have something to with my DMing style, as there are numerous traps, plenty of opportunity to sneak around, and the ever nasty colossal monstous spider hiding in the cracks of the floor that need a spot check to see.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads