D&D (2024) Asians Represent: "Has WotC Fixed the D&D Monk?"

Sacrosanct

Legend
I honestly don’t know how you could do a martial arts class and not have something around chi/ki. I’ve practiced Tae Kwon Do and Aikido, and ki is so integral with the latter. Heck, it’s in the name lol. I would say 2/3 of my time practicing aikido is around ki, one point, and kiatsu.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What's more important to you? That the "right" people design the class or that it's fun to play?
That’s a false dichotomy. The class can both be designed by people who have the appropriate cultural context to do so sensitively (or even just with consultation from such people) and be fun to play. Indeed, I think not only are both desirable, but they should both be required, of any class.

Dire Bare

Legend
If you're looking at it through the lens of Wuxia then you're interested in fantasy not reality.
Fantasy is based in reality. Wuxia martial artists use real-life weapons, they exist in a world very much like our own . . . of course they can do things real-life martial artists cannot do and often face foes that don't exist in the real world . . . although even those amazing feats and supernatural foes begin in reality and are . . . exaggerated by fantasy and myth.

What's more important to you? That the "right" people design the class or that it's fun to play?
I'll take both please! No reason why we can't have folks with expert martial and cultural knowledge design a balanced and fun class.

MGibster

Legend
Fantasy is based in reality. Wuxia martial artists use real-life weapons, they exist in a world very much like our own . . . of course they can do things real-life martial artists cannot do and often face foes that don't exist in the real world . . . although even those amazing feats and supernatural foes begin in reality and are . . . exaggerated by fantasy and myth.

I will do my best not to get hung up on real then.

I'll take both please! No reason why we can't have folks with expert martial and cultural knowledge design a balanced and fun class.
I kind of suspected the answer would be both.

Horwath

Legend
Or, how about this for a novel idea? We could all agree to stop pretending realism matters at all in our cool fantasy game!
That should be the goal always.
Take some kind of idea/inspiration from real world and try to make it work mechanically in the game.

Remove ads