• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ask me Monster Manual questions!

Do Medusas turn you to stone instantly, or do you get slightly stonier round by round? I'm hoping you get a Dex save to avert your gaze, and if you fail that a Con save to avoid turning to stone. Or perhaps one save to look away, and if you fail it locks gazes with you, paralyzing you for a round but giving your allies a chance to knock it away before it petrifies you.

Are there different varieties of a given monstrous race? Can you assemble an orc tribe with warriors, a chieftain, and a couple shamans, or are there just basic orcs?

What's the most obscure monster? Anything that is not a traditional, standard Monster Manual critter (aside from the flumph)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do Medusas turn you to stone instantly, or do you get slightly stonier round by round? I'm hoping you get a Dex save to avert your gaze, and if you fail that a Con save to avoid turning to stone. Or perhaps one save to look away, and if you fail it locks gazes with you, paralyzing you for a round but giving your allies a chance to knock it away before it petrifies you.

Are there different varieties of a given monstrous race? Can you assemble an orc tribe with warriors, a chieftain, and a couple shamans, or are there just basic orcs?

What's the most obscure monster? Anything that is not a traditional, standard Monster Manual critter (aside from the flumph)?

I'll go with your first question! Essays on iPhones are no fun, so I'm keeping these briefish.

Medusa gives you a Con save. Fail by 5 and instant stone. Otherwise fail by less than 5, start to turn to stone with another save next round which is a straight shrug it off/turn to stone save. Medusa is affected by it's own gaze with mirrors etc. You can avert your eyes if not surprised, but you're fighting it blind.

Shemeska

Adventurer
How much ecology information is there on the yugoloths? Does it mention the Oinoloth (Anthraxus or Mydianchlarus?) and/or the General of Gehenna, the baernaloths?

Does the ultroloth have any facial details such as a mouth or nose, or is it back to old-school blank face except for the spooky eyes?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
How much ecology information is there on the yugoloths? Does it mention the Oinoloth (Anthraxus or Mydianchlarus?) and/or the General of Gehenna, the baernaloths?

Does the ultroloth have any facial details such as a mouth or nose, or is it back to old-school blank face except for the spooky eyes?

About a page. No to Oinoloth, yes to General, no to baernaloths. Ultraloths have blank faces with eyes.

HabitualErrant

First Post
I'll go with your first question! I'm reading the vampire right now, and I love how traditional it feels. Plus the entry captures the atmosphere well. Then again, I quite enjoyed the death knight, too.

It's good to hear that you're enjoying them, I like me a good vampire. I was pleased to see that there are four pages for them, what kind of options are fit in that space?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's good to hear that you're enjoying them, I like me a good vampire. I was pleased to see that there are four pages for them, what kind of options are fit in that space?

Two pages of ecology, inc. a sidebar about Strahd and regional effects. A full page stat block, inc. shape changing to bat/mist, resistance, misty escape, regeneration, spider climb, weaknesses (invitations, running water, stakes, sunlight), plus actions inc. bite, charm, children of the night (summon).

One page vampire spawn plus variant sidebar on vampire warriors and spell casters.

3 large art pieces.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads