• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask the DM [Kennon] a Question!

Laurel

First Post
So since I may be burdening the group with travelling with another medium life form (my eagle) I was looking at the boots of teleport (more curiosity then anything else at this point).... but then I had a question and thought of this thread :)

SRD said:
Boots of Teleportation: Any character wearing this footwear may teleport three times per day, exactly as if he had cast the spell of the same name.

The spell distance and extra people taken are based on caster level.
The spell itself is a sor/wiz/trav 5.
So the question is: Is caster level for items such as this based on any caster level or only the caster level as a sor/wiz/trav as the spell states? Or is it based on the maker of the boots caster level? Some other interprtation?

I think this has been answered to the people wearing them currently since we've used them so much.... but I don't remember this being asked or answered :uhoh:

The_Universe

First Post
The way we've been running them is as follows:

If your level is higher than the minimum caster level required to cast teleport, you use it instead.

So, since you are level 17, you'd use them with a caster level of 17. If you had them at level 9, you'd use a caster level (I belive) of 9. If you had gotten them at level 7, you'd still use caster level 9 (which I think is the lowest level you can cast teleport).

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
The way we've been running them is as follows:

If your level is higher than the minimum caster level required to cast teleport, you use it instead.

So, since you are level 17, you'd use them with a caster level of 17. If you had them at level 9, you'd use a caster level (I belive) of 9. If you had gotten them at level 7, you'd still use caster level 9 (which I think is the lowest level you can cast teleport).
So the equivalent caster level goes up as the owner gains levels as well? When we gain a level Justice's and Xath's caster level for the boots will be equal to 18?
So at current level of 17/3, they can each take up to 5.6 (round to 6?) med sized creatures?

And this goes for those magic things that are worded such? (I don't have a specific, but I know there are others)

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
I'll rule individually for other similarly worded items. I don't even know if we're doing the boots right - but this is how we've been doing it, and I don't see much reason to change it now.

You always round down with fractions in D&D - so they can only take 5, not 6. Next level, they can take 6.

Azure@mac.com

First Post
Enervation

Does enervation (the spell) result in the loss of hit dice the way level drain (the supernatural ability) does. In other words, does a vampire drain levels the same way a enervating wizard does, or is there some sort of exception for the enervation spell. The only reason I ask is because the spell description doesn't metion the loss of hit dice, while the monster manual description of level drain does.

Thanks!

The_Universe

First Post
Azure@mac.com said:
Does enervation (the spell) result in the loss of hit dice the way level drain (the supernatural ability) does. In other words, does a vampire drain levels the same way a enervating wizard does, or is there some sort of exception for the enervation spell. The only reason I ask is because the spell description doesn't metion the loss of hit dice, while the monster manual description of level drain does.

Thanks!
...this one came out of nowhere...

Enervation bestows negative levels on a target, which is not precisely the same as a vampire's level drain. As the spell description suggests (p226 in the Player's handbook), the 1d4 negative levels the target suffers if you hit with your ranged touch attack gives the target a cumulative -1 to attack roles, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and effective level. The description goes on to clarify that the penality to effective level only effects the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells and special abilities. Definitely no mention of hit die or hit points. Additionally, your target, if a spellcaster, loses one spell or spell slot from his or her highest available level. Still no mention of hit points.

While the description does note that if a target has as many negative levels as it has hit die, it dies, this does not necessarily imply the loss of hit die up to that point. This works much like subdual damage, which is not subtracted from your hit point total, but rather compared to it.

Lastly, the spell specifically notes that these negative levels cannot result in permanent level drain, because they do not last long enough.

So, to make a long story short, your targets hit die and hit points are unaffected by this spell. The effect, such as it is, completely bypasses those factors, though it may still kill.

Remove ads