• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask the DM [Kennon] a Question!

The_Universe

First Post
Got an idea, and you want to know how I think it would work in the game? Got a sticky rules question and want to know how it would play out in Kingdom of Ashes?

This is the place for them!

Want to know if you could use a spell to do something different than its description? Want to see if your new prestige class will be useable in the game?

This is where you can find out!

I realized that we didn't really have a thread like this, so feel free to post any rules questions you might have here!

The_Universe

First Post
Staves!

SRD said:
Activation: Staffs use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a staff is usually a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a staff.) To activate a staff, a character must hold it forth in at least one hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures).

So, what is, exactly, the spell trigger activation method?

SRD said:
Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

So, based on my reading, in order to use a staff, the spell in question must appear somewhere on your class's list, even if you cannot currently cast it. But what of rogues (or bards?) who may not have the spells in question on their spell lists at all?

SRD said:
USE MAGIC DEVICE...

...Use a Wand: Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs.

So, in the end, staves can be used by anyone with either 1) A high enough Use Magic Device to activate the spell, as if it were a wand, or 2) someone who has the spells in question on their lists.

They are no more or less useable than scrolls or wands.

Does that help?

Laurel

First Post
Just remember you did say for us to ask :)

Can one take a plain shirt and make it magical like armor? If your answer was not an immediate and unshakable no then read on.....

To show the flexibility, manuverability and yet the fragility of even magic cloth there would be no dex penalty, no armor check penalty, no chance of spell failure, but also only a +1 bonus to AC max. As with armor the total effective bonus can not be higher then +10.

The shirt must still be of the finest weave and thread to withstand the magic and the beating it will get. The shirt costs at minimum 50 gp, but depending on teh crafters in the area this price may increase.

Special: An armored shirt is worn in the armor slot and shirt slot (taking up both slots and cutting off the use of a robe, vest or vestment as well). An armored shirt could not be worn under a mail shirt nor full plate for two examples. It also can not be worn with another shirt, even a plain one.

For instance: Take a plain blue shirt and add acid resistance. The shirt turns to an ashen gray, adds a 1 to AC (since first bonus), and lets the shirt absorbs the first 10 points of acid damage. (I just used the first armor bonus from the list)

Cost for this example: shirt 50 gp + 18,000 gp for acid resistance + the initial +1 bonus at 1,000gp= 19,000gp +shirt

Adding a bonus to a shirt cost the same as if adding them to armor. Once a shirt has been given a bonus from the armor list it can only be given a bonus from the armor special qualities list. by the same token a shirt already imbued with anything else not on that list can not then add something from the list.

--Let me know what you think DM? crazy? Too restrictive? too lax? just too many issues to start?-- :cool:

The_Universe

First Post
Shirts as Armor

Laurel said:
Can one take a plain shirt and make it magical like armor? If your answer was not an immediate and unshakable no then read on.....

Here's my official ruling:

The_Universe said:
Normal clothing may be enchanted, just like other types of armor by spellcasters who possess the Craft Magical Arms and Armor Feat. For the purposes of enchanting, a set of clothing is considered to have an armor bonus of +0, an armor check penalty of -0, and a spell failure chance of 0%. Clothing is not considered armor (unless enchanted) for the purposes of Monk abilities.

Clothing enchanted as armor occupies both the vest/vestment/shirt slot on the torso, and the robe/suit of armor slot on the body.

Just as with normal armor, a set of clothing must be masterwork if it is to be enchanted. Therefore, any clothing to be enchanted as armor must be of the highest quality, adding an additional 150 GP to the base cost of the item. The normal limits of magical enhancement apply to clothing - a set of "cloth armor" may still only have a total of +10 in enhancements. Further, just as with normal armor, of that +10, a maximum bonus of +5 may be added to its Armor Class.

Multiple items enchanted as armor do not stack for the purposes of determining armor class. Therefore, a shirt and pants may not both be enhanced for +5 to AC, for a total modifier of +10. The magical enhancement is considered an armor bonus, and multiple armor bonuses do not stack.

Any questions?

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
Here's my official ruling:
Looks fine to me -Thanks!

Any questions?
Just one that is I think just me being brain dead-
In the first paragraph it states that clothes have a +0 AC, yet further down it says it can have up to a +5 AC bonus. So this means it starts off as a +0 (since cloth has no AC bonus) and someone has to pay for each increase to AC right? So you could have a shirt that is +5 to AC max? Or am I getting this wrong?

The_Universe

First Post
Laurel said:
Just one that is I think just me being brain dead-
In the first paragraph it states that clothes have a +0 AC, yet further down it says it can have up to a +5 AC bonus. So this means it starts off as a +0 (since cloth has no AC bonus) and someone has to pay for each increase to AC right? So you could have a shirt that is +5 to AC max? Or am I getting this wrong?
A set of clothing starts out with a +0 armor bonus. With normal magical armor enhancements, it can become up to +5. Since it starts out at +0, every armor bonus must be applied as magic - clothing doesn't have any natural armor benefit.

Does that make sense?

As an example:

A shirt with a +2 armor bonus would have a market price of 4150 GP, plus the base cost of the clothing.

Laurel

First Post
The_Universe said:
A set of clothing starts out with a +0 armor bonus. With normal magical armor enhancements, it can become up to +5. Since it starts out at +0, every armor bonus must be applied as magic - clothing doesn't have any natural armor benefit.

Does that make sense?

As an example:

A shirt with a +2 armor bonus would have a market price of 4150 GP, plus the base cost of the clothing.
Thant's what I thought, but wanted to double check :eek: Thanks!

Remove ads