• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fabula Ultima: Techno Fantasy and GM's Toolkit Released (+)

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
For Fabula Ultima fans, the Technofantasy Atlas was just released. The best way I can think of to describe this is the "Final Fantasy VII Gamebook." It's more than just that; you get Pilot, Esper, and Mutant characters, and you can get an idea of what the book is about.

I like so many things about this book: it has custom weapons, Materia, and vehicle rules. If you want to play a character with a mech in a group of traditional characters, you can do it.

The GM's book is meant to be a GM screen with a guidebook with advice for the GM. It has a strong narrative bent, so if you'd like to see some advice for running that kind of game, this is really solid stuff, too.

I'm rating this thread with a +, not because I don't want to hear criticism of the game (it's not for everyone!) but because I don't want the thread to turn into another "narrative/not narrative" thread. I'm writing this assuming it's a narrative RPG from a certain point of view.

If you have any questions about what's in the book, I'm glad to discuss it. If you have a lot of time and want a thorough discussion, the Knights of Last Call did one, which is how I learned the book was even out. I'll link it below...

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Is this a Kickstarter, or a finished product?

Are Pilot, Mutant, and Esper classes, or some other type of character building tech?

SteveC

Are Pilot, Mutant, and Esper classes, or some other type of character building tech?
They are three new character classes. Fabula Ultima makes you multiclass characters, so these are two new classes. At the start of play, you are level 5 and must split those levels between at least two classes. The highest level you can reach in any class is level 10, so you spread out as you play the game.

And as Retreater says, it's in PDF now and will be in print shortly.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
]
They are three new character classes. Fabula Ultima makes you multiclass characters, so these are two new classes. At the start of play, you are level 5 and must split those levels between at least two classes. The highest level you can reach in any class is level 10, so you spread out as you play the game.

And as Retreater says, it's in PDF now and will be in print shortly.
I’ll wait for the print version. One of the selling points of the game is its terrific presentation.

SteveC

I’ll wait for the print version. One of the selling points of the game is its terrific presentation.
I don't purchase many print game books, but I have all the Fabula Ultima books. They also need another pass or two of editing with this one.

Retreater

Legend
I don't purchase many print game books, but I have all the Fabula Ultima books. They also need another pass or two of editing with this one.
I think it was mentioned in the video that the PDF was released accidentally before it had been finalized. Based on the high esteem the previous books are held, I'm sure they'll do a good job of cleaning it up.

SteveC

Just a note that there was a revision to the document that addressed the typos that I saw. I've spent more time on the book and an really enjoying it.

aramis erak

Legend
How is the game generally? I’ve got the pdf of the book but haven’t had time to really dig into it.
I've not run it, by my sunday group has been playing it on alternating saturdays, and speak very highly of it as a way to run Final Fantasy with the serial numbers filed off.

Remove ads