ASoIaF RPG - A Tourney of Gulls IC

Cor Azer

First Post
"Gulls," thought Haken, and not for the first time that day. Seeing the servants of House Vantri scurry through the courtyard preparing the Ser Laton and Ser Jarl's entourage always made him think of the pestering sea birds - each may have had a particular task, but their seemingly random movements just looked like chaos.

"There are no gulls here, Haken." The soft voice caught the guard by surprise. Little Lisa Vantri could be as silent in her step as she was incessant with her questions.

"An expression, my lady," clarified Haken. "My father always called young knights at play 'gulls'. They may far outnumber the falcons, dragons, and stags in this world, but few have any hope of being as important."

"Laton says he can win. That's important."

"Your brother is good, as is your uncle." Haken knew he'd be hard-pressed to hold his own against either of them, but then, he was no knight anointed in the name of the Seven. He was a guard, a veteran of several clansmen raids to be sure, but still just a guard. And a bastard one at that.

"I hope he wins. I don't want to marry a pigsherd."

"A what?" Haken laughed. "Why should you marry a pigsherd?"

"Laton said so," Lisa grimaced. "He said that the younger sister of a disgraced knight was to marry a pigsherd. Does House Brocklyn have a pigsherd?"

"I couldn't say, my lady. I've never been to Lakelights. But if the men there like their bacon, I'm sure they have a pigsherd."

"I don't like bacon."

"Eh now, that a fact?"

"Yes. And if I have to marry a pigsherd, I shall say, 'No more bacon! You'll make something of yourself!'"

"Very assertive of you, my lady. I'm sure every pigsherd will rise to your challenge."

A firm harrumph cuts Haken off. The guard and young lady turn to see a septa tapping her foot.

"Truly, Lisa? You know better than to harangue the guards."

"I meant no harm, Septa," pleads the young girl.

"It makes no matter. You are to be a lady, and a lady does not consort with this... sort." Septa Diennie gave Haken Stone a withering look, and the guard know she spoken not of his occupation.

"Yes, Septa." The girl took a few steps towards her tutor, but stopped and turned back to Haken. "You're going too?" Barely waiting for his nod, Lisa continued, "Keep them safe, Haken."

The guard smiled. "Like as not, they'll be protecting me, my lady."

After the lady and septa leave him alone, Haken Stone picks up his pack and carries it over to one of the baggage carts, heaving it up into place.

"Haken!" The firm voice commanded respect, and the guard turned to attention. Lord Loughton Vantri stood at the head of the baggage cart, his left hand braced upon his weirwood cane, and his right clutching a rolled parchment.

"My lord. How can I help you?"

"You can ready the men to be gone in an hour. A raven has arrived from Upfall. It seems Ser Gough Crelling is also travelling to Lakelights and hopes to meet Laton and Jarl at the crossroads and travel as a group."

Haken nods. "We'll be ready, my lord."

"Now, to find that son and brother of mine." The crippled man seemed twice as old as he hobbled away on his cane, but Haken Stone smirked to himself as he heard Lord Vantri mutter, "Damn gulls..."

---

So there's the start. I know it's not much to work with, but I wanted to give you players a chance to interact with some of the household before the trip to Lakelights. Let me know how your character is preparing for the ride.

OOC Thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/talking-talk/303188-asoiaf-rpg-tourney-gulls-recruiting.html
Character Sheets: http://www.enworld.org/forum/rogues-gallery/305284-asoiaf-rpg-tourney-gulls-houses-characters.html

DrZombie

First Post
Laton could hear the noise from the courtyard from the top of the keep. The shouting of men, the braying of the animals. He could even spot his little sister haranguing Haken. It wasn’t the first time he’d leave his lands, but still, there was a sense of things to come, and not all of them well.

“Hello, Voss” He says without turning around. The master of the bows, silent as a shadow, just grunts as he stands besides the young lord.
“I know, I should head down to the courtyard, if only to save Haken from my sister.”
Laton sighs, taking in the looks of the wooded valley around him.
“It is just a tourney, Voss, but I cannot shake the feeling that a lot will depend on it. We have fallen on hard times. Either we turn around the decline, or we will be forgotten, barely a step above hedge knights.”
The grizzled veteran just grunts, and puts a callused hand on Laton’s shoulder.
“You’ll do well, lad. Follow your uncle’s advice, and fight like a man. The rest lies with the seven. Now get going.”

With a grim smile, Laton picks up his backpack and heads downstairs. Time to go.

"Mmmmmmm."

The contented sound, muffled by a mouthful of bread, escaped Jarl as he stood by the door of the keep's bakery. Cedarmane and Bellflower looked on, their bridles tied to the post. The morning cool still hung in air, perfectly balancing the heat of the ovens.

"Anything else, Ser?" asked Berta, wiping flour from her hands with her apron.

"No, thank you. Buttered bread could bring happiness to the whole world," Jarl replied. He took another bite from the bread in his hand, the wooden plate having been abandoned on a counter in the kitchen. "Still cooking? If my brother wasn't so fond of you and your cooking, he'd be upset at your tardiness," he teased.

"Heh, I finished up your provisions hours ago. But those of us staying have to eat also. No wonder we need a maester," Berta retorted without missing a beat. "Just remember to keep the pointy end of the lance facing the other way, philosopher." Her broad figure shook as she chuckled. "Now, clean the crumbs out of your beard and get ready. You have to get going, and I can't stand around giving charity to beggars."

"I'm practically done," Jarl said as he approached his rounseys. The saddle and bags were ready before dawn, but had been placed on a bench, as Jarl didn't want to burden his horses with the weight if they were just going to stand around. "Cedarmane, you've got the bags today. Which means Bellflower is stuck with me." He petted the horses, then got to work loading the horses with their respective loads and fastening the belts so that they would be secure but comfortable for the horses.

When he was done, he led the rounseys to the courtyard, where the train was starting to form up.

jackslate45

First Post
Robin stood ready in the hall, geared up and ready to go. He had just received word to be ready in an hour, but had been ready long before that. He knew that being ready was what made him, one born of common blood, able to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Lords of House Vantri.

As Lord Vantri approached, Robin bowed low and said "Good Morning Lord Vantri. The seven bless us today, as every day. I have recieved word that your Ser Jarl and Ser Laton await you in the courtyard, ready to depart with the rest. Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?"

Cor Azer

First Post
Lord Vantri turns in step with Robin back towards the courtyard, although his limping gait slows his pace. Loughton places a key in Robin's hand, "The chest of gold dragons has been stowed at the bottom of the baggage cart; Laton has the other key. The Seven bless Laton and Jarl to do well, but should the Warrior not be at their side, at least the ransom can be paid. I'll leave it to the discretion of you, Laton, and Jarl if other expenses appear."

As the two enter the courtyard, the Lord of Splinterhold squints as the morning sun strikes him, causing him to avert his eyes. Before they can adjust, a newly sewn banner of House Vantri unfurls, hanging from the front of the baggage cart, and then a second one on the opposite side.

"I had Gilla sewn them for our valiant knights," explains Loughton, even though he knows Robin paid for the materials.

"One other task for you while you're at Lakelights, Robin." The lord hands the rolled parchment he carries to his steward. "Laton and Jarl will be too busy, focusing on the jousts, so this must fall to you. Word came in last night about an accident at one of the House Erenger mines; no injuries, thank the Seven, but it will cost them dearly to repair it. Offer what assistance we can; our mines are doing well, and if Lord Ryam needs are ore for his smithies, we should be able to supply some." A wry smirk passes across his lips, "Just don't let that old scoundrel cheat us out of our own mine."

A trumpet blast splits the air, announcing the group's departure.

"Off with you then!"

Lord Loughton takes a few more shambling steps forward and catches the attention of his son and brother. "Honor bends nor breaks! Heed the Warrior, and may the Seven bless you."

Haken watches the two knights at the head of the column deep in conversation; likely some strategy for dealing with other knights expected to attend the tourney. The entourage had been traveling for a few hours now, and was making good time to reach the crossroads for a noontime break.

"Two banners!"

"Eh? Two?" asks Haken. "Crelling for one. Who's the other?"

"Dunno. A waterfall and tower, and an embattled black and grey pily for the other."

"The tower is Ser Crelling. The other..." Haken thinks for a moment. He can't hear the two knights ahead who would be mostly like to know, but then he recalls for the last Tourney at Sunkenwood. "Ser Rolston the Grey. House Tollett. Oh Sevens! Pick up the pace! We should get their and rescue the old man from Ser Gough before that blowhard regales him of another victorious joust against a rack of lamb."

Ser Jarl took his place at the side of his nephew. "So, boy, ready to remind the other knights of the Vale what it feels like to get knocked on their arse?" he said, punctuating his question with a short laugh. He figured Laton had to be nervous.

With the sound of a ship sail catching the wind, the banners were unfurled over the baggage cart. He gazed upon the seven pines, a common sight for him. He remembered the first time he saw new banners made. He was going to Gulltown to fight the usurpers with his two brothers.

Jarl's mind snapped out of his remembrance by his brother's words. "Honor bends nor breaks," he said in reply. "Pray our lances to be honorable. May the Seven watch over you."

-----

"I wouldn't get worried over ransom. No one makes a point of trying to drive a house into poverty based on a joust. If it's a Corbray or Royce who beats you, they might forego a ransom. Though being beaten then pitied is a double hammer blow to one's pride when your lifting yourself out of the mud. Worse comes to worse, buy a new horse and armor. Just be honorable in victory or defeat, and everything else will be fine."

The answer was long, and spoke about more than Laton had asked, but he felt Laton's uneasiness since the morning. The boy definitely felt the weight of his position. Jarl wondered how much of that weight he had placed on his nephew's back, during training, telling tales of what their household used to be.

As Haken identified the two knights awaiting, Jarl nudged his nephew. "Forward, boy. You should make the greeting."

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
"And you also, Father." Laton replies. He blows a kiss at his little sister and shouts "I promise to pick the most handsome swineherd, Milady."

-----

"I'm not a boy anymore, uncle. Boy's don't fight tournaments, remember." he says with a smile. "You must be getting really old if you start forgetting that, greybeard."

He gives his horse free reign for a minute. Eager to take the lead, she pulls ahead. "Easy, lass, save it for the tournament."

A few minutes later they arrive at the crossroads. The other two groups have allready arrived, and Laton could hear the bragging from afar. He dismounted and greeted the two elder knights with a functional but polite bow.
"Ser Rolston, Ser Gough. What a pleasure to meet you here. On your way to the tournament as well, no doubt?"

jackslate45

First Post
"Of course my lord, it will be done." Robin says with a smile, pocketing the key carefully.

----

Robin was never used to horses, and all this riding had gotten his legs all sore. However, with a smile to the the knights Robin says "As long as you do not lose too much, we should be fine."

After Ser Laton made the introduction, Robin also dismounted, and waited in turn to be introduced be either Laton or Jarl, but bows low in the meantime.

Cor Azer

First Post
"Ser Laton!" shouts Ser Gough as the House Vantri knights approach the crossroads. The beer-bellied knight attempts to rise, but his foot slips on a discarded chicken bone. He catches himself on a nearby stump, but smears chicken grease across his surcoat as he balances himself. He hearty roar bursts from his lips as he surveys the disaster of his garb. "Ser Jarl as well! Well met!" In mock shame he gestures to his disarray, "I'd clasp your hands, but I'm afraid I'd soil you as well." He glances about, looking for something. "Wes! Wes, you clout! My cloth!" A young boy in the livery of House Crelling runs about, waving a cloth nearly as soiled as Ser Gough's surcoat. "Wes Crelling, my nephew and squire," explains Ser Gough, ignoring the boy except for taking the cloth.

Ser Rolston shakes his head disapprovingly at the scene, and rises much more somberly. "Now that courtesy has been paid to my host, I'll leave you two to this..." Ser Rolston frowns. "Jackanape." The elder knight takes one last swig of ale and sets the mug down on a stump. He nods curtly to Ser Gough, but with more respect to Ser Laton and Ser Jarl, and again out of politeness to Robin, but then turns and strides off. After a few moments, a young teen in the livery of House Erenger scurries after the Tollett knight.

"Ah... Ahem... Yes," stammers Ser Gough. "A... ah... pleasant fellow, Ser Rolston is." For just a split second, a hint of a sneer slips across his face, but he turns back to the Vantri lords with a smile. "But, please, my manners are atrocious! As I said, this is my squire, Wes. And over here, my lady friend, Dawlyn, and her maid-in-waiting... Tria... Syrine... something like that."

"Hanna, if it please my lords."

"Yes, yes... Yolanna..." agrees Ser Gough. "And up in yon cart is my personal maester, Karlon." The knight doesn't even wait for the maester to acknowledge the new arrivals before he continues, "And, as impromptu host, it seems it falls to me to introduce you to Ser Rolston's squire. An Erenger boy... uh..."

"Ollin, Ser," adds Wes, completely differential to his uncle.

"Yes, Ollin Erenger. Bright lad - knew the full history of my House without pause." He gestures to the empty stumps arrayed around several spitted chickens. "But please, join me for a lunch before we continue on the road."

Ser Jarl dismounted. He gave Ser Rolston a polite bow, as he was the eldest knight present. He then returned Ser Gough's welcome. "Thank you for your offer. I think the train could use a brief rest."

Jarl took a seat on a stump, grasping his bastard sword's pommel and levering it against his hip so that it wouldn't catch as he sat. "So, tell me, how long have you been waiting?" He propped his shield against the side of his stump.

Remove ads