• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ASoIaF RPG - A Tourney of Gulls IC

DrZombie

First Post
"Thank you for your hospitality, good Ser. Allow me to introduce the rest of my retinue. You obviously know Ser Jarl. This is Robin, a valuad adviser to our household. If you are in danger of running out of fierce chickens to dismember, I can allways ask cook to roast up some more?"

He then makes a deep bow to lady Dalwin, and more importantly, her lady in waiting.
"Miladies, I am pleased to make your acquaintance on this fine noon. I hope the travelling hasn't been too taxing?"

jackslate45

First Post
Robin in turn bows towards towards the people Ser Gough introduces, and once introduced by Ser Laton says "It is an honor to eat along side you and your House Ser Gough. I hope that you will forgive my knowledge skills, as I am sure your House is quite impressive enough that one such as I could hardly remember it all."

Cor Azer

First Post
Watching the three knights and the steward share their meal a short distance away, Haken takes a seat near one of the other House Vantri guards with some roast coney. The guard shakes his head in disbelief. "Haken, did you know House Crelling did so much? That Ser Gough has been going on for near an hour."

Haken snorts in derision. "House Crelling was founded barely ten years ago. One Lord Arryn's minor knights given land. And Ser Gough? He's a knight because his brother made him so - if the tales be true, the man hasn't an honourable or virtuous bone in his body. But, what he does better than devour roast chicken is weave a tale. I heard the man once speak such that a rabbit hunt was an epic worthy of Aegon the Conqueror."

The veteran guard takes a few more bites out of the coney leg, and then nods to where Ser Rolston's mounts were tethered. "When did they leave?"

"A short while ago, while you were securing the mounts."

"They say anything?"

"Ser Rolston believes a rainstorm is coming. I think he wanted to get to the Three Creeks Inn before then."

"Rainstorm? Miserable traveling in that." Haken finishes one more bite of his coney and then stands. "One of you go tell the lords, the rest of you, get ready to move out on the lord's say."

Ser Jarl sat with the others and conversed. Unfortunately, most of the conversing was done by Ser Gough. When not telling a tale about hunting, drinking, or fornicating, Gough didn't seem to listen so much as wait to start talking anew. Jarl comforted himself in the knowledge that Ser Gough would at least be an easy target to hit on a tilt.

"Tell me, Ser Gough, what do you believe is the great prize alluded to but never told in the invitation?" Jarl asked, immediately regretting giving the knight another chance to speak. It was with some relief when he saw Talmond, one of the guards, approach.

"My apologies for cutting in, Sers, but Haken wanted me to tell you that a rainstorm is coming. Haken is readying the train to move out for the Three Creeks Inn at your command," Talmond said, trying his best appear formal. Talmond had a lean build, and a youthful voice and appearance, enough that strangers frequently assumed he was a tall youth. Only a boxer's nose and a faint scar along his jawline hinted that he had a grown man's share of experience fighting clansmen.

Jarl stood up. "Thank you, Talmond." He looked at the sky. "I notice it now. Ser Laton, Ser Gough, Robin, should we put this conversation to an end, and make for the inn?"

jackslate45

First Post
"What is the problem Ser Jarl, afraid a little rain will melt you?" Robin says with a laugh. However, he was secretly glad to get moving again. He did not think he could handle more of Ser Gough's tales. And traveling in rain was never fun.

He stands up and says "While I jest, I do believe we should be on the way. I am sure we can continue any discussion at the Three Creeks Inn. "

Spotting Haken, Robin walks up to him and asks "Do we have everything ready then? "

DrZombie

First Post
Laton gets up just a tad too quickly and smiles. "Yes, let us be on our way."
"My dear Uncle, I'll leave you the honour of riding with Ser Gough. It is my turn for the advance scouting with Haken, if I'm not mistaken."
He makes another polite bow to Ser Gough, his uncle and the two ladies and quickly heads off to his horse.

"Melt? No. I may rust, though," Ser Jarl said as he picked up his shield. "We should move along though. I'm concerned if Ser Rolston is traveling alone. There are bandits and clansmen in these parts."

"You are mistaken, boy," he turned to Laton. "Haken is staying with the cart. Talmond, keep this pup out of trouble." Jarl didn't like Laton being out front. Skewering a clansman or two was no reason to put himself in danger.

Cor Azer

First Post
The rainstorm kindly holds off until the House Vantri and House Crelling group is on the road for a few minutes before closing in. When it does however, it opens in a torrent that quickly leaves the ground a muddy mess and most of the group drenched beneath sodden cloaks. Only Ser Gough's lady and her maid-in-waiting are spared, seated comfortably and dryly within their covered wagon.

Conversation is kept to a minimum; Ser Gough only relates two stories of his daring in charm, but thankfully, the splatter of rain keeps most everyone else from catching more than a stray word.

By late afternoon, the worst of the storm seems to pass, the rain dropping off to a faint drizzle.

"Now, as I was saying," drones Ser Gough. "Ser Terald is known for two things - his castle and his sword."

"He doesn't have his sword anymore, Ser," interrupts Wes. "His brother stole it."

"To be sure, to be sure," agrees Ser Gough, "Except, what if he got it back?" Not waiting for an answer, the portly knight continues. "Now, it's a terrible family scandal of course, brother slays heir and wife, steals sword. Horrible. Just horrible. Still, can you imagine a man, a knight... a husband and father! not doing everything in his power to lay justice at his murderous brother's feet? The Warrior would not allow it!" Ser Gough stabs a chubby finger out in front of Ser Jarl, "But now, here's my thinking. If he succeeded. If he did find and kill his brother... would he make it public? I wouldn't. Keep that family tragedy in the past. Seek justice, yes, but the family's honor must come first, and that means keeping your nose out of scandal."

Further back, Haken shook his head. To Robin beside him, the guard whispers, "That resembles no honor I've heard of."

Unaware, Ser Gough continues. "But now Ser Terald has his sword back, but he can't keep it. No, it just opens up old wounds, if you'll excuse the pun. So, he holds a tourney! Oh valorous knights do tilt for his most precious prize - the sword he cannot keep." Ser Gough nods confidently. "That, Ser Jarl. That is the prize we seek - no less than a Valyrian steel -"

The knight's triumphant conclusion is cut off by a shrill scream further ahead on the road. A wretched and pathetic cry of pain - inhuman - blares out, piercing through the light mist that stills hangs in the air.

Ser Jarl listened as Ser Gough told him his theory. Jarl was surprised that the notorious lecher wasn't speculating on Ser Terald's daughter. It was with some humor Jarl then suspected that the fat knight was keeping it to himself, for fear of somehow jinxing his odds, as if keeping his thoughts secret would help him on his horse.

The moment was shattered as the cry sounded across the travelers. "Haken! Guard the carriage with the others," Ser Jarl barked as he immediately urged Bellflower to bring him alongside his nephew and Talmond. His war lance was lifted from its resting position as he surveyed his surroundings.

Remove ads