ASoIaF RPG - A Tourney of Gulls IC

DrZombie

First Post
Laton rides just out of swordreach of the sellsword.
"Vengeance, or armed robbery poorly disguised as vengeance? Better to ask for the black, sellsword, for you'll loose at least a hand for robbery. Branding maybe, if the Lord feels mercifull."
He waits for a second.
"Or do you have any other songs to sing?"

Ser Jarl reflected on the situation. A lie of vengeance to hide a robbery. Or a robbery to throw the scent off the true purpose of murder? Perhaps mere opportunity. The idea the sellsword would loot a man he'd murdered for reasons of the heart was well within the realm of possible.

Still, the situation gave some credence to the mercenary's story. It was unlikely for a noble who could afford a destrier to travel without companions. Whether the Lannister was the mastermind or target of the ambush was the question.

"Mhyrko," Jarl said as he looked at the ground for footprints, "can you make anything of this?"

Cor Azer

First Post
"I've done many things in my life I'm not proud of," Agorn fixes his gaze on Ser Laton, but his memories float back to that young boy on the bluffs.

"I suspect I'll do more in the future." Their banners will burn...

"But don't ever accuse me of robbery, boy. I'll not have lion gold. Not when I want their -"

He pauses.

What was that?

Again.

Seven bugger me, I hope that kennelmaster has good ears too... They'll not listen to my warn-

"CLANSMEN!"

At Ser Jarl's warning, steel is exposed as sword and spear and mace and axe are swung to the ready.

A branch a few feet past the sellsword's mount cracks, sprouting a newly delivered axe.

A dull roar rolls out of the woods surrounding the ruin as several dozen shabbily dressed clansmen erupt into the clearing.

The sellsword starts pulling at his bindings, trying to get free, or at least out of such an exposed position.

He can hear the bastard Haken ordering men into position around the pregnant lady and her squire. Ser Gough squealing for help, but with the wherewithal to make it sound like it's for his ladies and maester. Ser Patrek's cries of "Ravensblood! Ravensblood! Heart's Home!"

"Blood Goats!" is the return battle cry, as the clansmen smash into the House Vantri forces.

"Free me!" shouts Agorn, hoping Laton, or Pate, or even the boy Roy can hear him over the rising din of battle. "Let me fight!"

"Just so!" In the distance, the captive sellsword sees his one-time comrades defending Raquinno's wagon.

Six clansmen there, he counts, trying to get a hold of the situation. Two more on the kennelmaster. Big one with the spear looks like he's moving on Ser Jarl. He winces as a heavy stone smashes splinters from a nearby tree. At least they're not good slingers. Six coming this way... and just Laton, Pate, and the boy in front of me... Seven hells... "Free me!"

OOC: Ok... it's kind of a big skirmish, but for the most part fairly localized into several smaller ones. Barring your intervention, the parts with clansmen vs Raquinno's men, vs Ser Patrek and Ser Gough's men, and vs. Haken and the guards around Lady Palla and Jacelyn will mostly be scripted out by me. What you need to worry about are your own, smaller skirmishes...

Mhryko and Ser Jarl vs 3 clansmen (one a rather large fellow)
Ser Laton, Roy, and Sleepy Pate vs six clansmen (haven't heard from ShaggySpellsword in a while, so Pate may be NPCed in the combat).
Robin (if jackslate pops in, is with Haken's group, and I'll start rolling for that combat, otherwise he'll be NPCed as well).

Edit: initiative is easy, everyone gets to go before the clansmen. Don't worry about acting in order; just everyone go once before the clansmen.

For those without the rules, you can generally take either 2 Lesser Actions or 1 Greater Action per round. Lesser actions include making an attack, moving, aiming a ranged weapon. Greater Actions include charging, attacking multiple foes, passing, readying an action. The other caveat is that barring spending of a Destiny point, only one action can be an attack (even though you get 2 Lesser Actions). There's a decent size list of actions, so I dunno if I'll type them out or not, but if there's anything in particular you're looking for, ask away.

Feel free to narrate the results of your attacks after you post your actions/rolls.

[sblock=Blood Goat Big Man]Blood Goat Big Man
Combat Defense: 4
Armor Rating: 5 (hides)
Health: 12[/sblock]

[sblock=Blood Goats]Blood Goats (several)
Health: 6[/sblock]

Last edited:

As the cry of 'Blood Goats!' roars from the mob pouring out of the woods, Ser Jarl turns his horse to face them, his eyes locking on the large clansman. He spurs his rounsey forward, charging the brute with his lance aimed towards the barbarian's chest.

OOC: I spend a greater action to charge the Blood Goat Big Man. If my knowledge of the rules are accurate, my normal war lance attack is 5D+1B. since I'm attacking an unmounted foe, I get +1B. Since I'm charging, I'm -1D, making my final roll 4D+2B.

Charging gives me +2 to weapon damage, but I'm not sure if this is applied before or after I multiply for degrees of success. Having beaten the score by 16, I score 4 degrees of success, meaning I deal either 34 or 40 damage. After subtracting 5 damage for his hide armor, he's still pretty dead :angel: (war lances have the Vicious quality). Cor, let me know if my calculations are up snuff.

Also, I have to make an Athletics check of 9 or higher to see if I lose the lance in the charge, and followed by an Athletics check of 8 (3+opponent's AR) to pull the lance free. I don't know if this counts as another action or is part of the attack with the lance. I'll roll now, and if it's supposed to be another action, I'll dock myself from the next round.

With violent fury, the seasoned knight buries his lance into the Blood Goat Big Man, piercing out the back end of the raider and dropping the clansman in a bloodied heap. Ser Jarl, with an ease learned from years of fighting clansman, pulls the lance free, causing more damage to the savage's corpse. The Vantri's head swivels back and forth quickly, looking for his enemies' response and for more targets to tilt against.

Last edited:

muggie2

First Post
A dull roar rolls out of the woods surrounding the ruin as several dozen shabbily dressed clansmen erupt into the clearing.

"Blood Goats!" is the battle cry, as the clansmen smash into the House Vantri forces.

Health: 6[/sblock]

Roy can hear the sellsword saying something behind him, but somehow the words make no sense to him as he focuses on the oncoming clansmen. Somehow, the situation almost reminds him of a tavern brawl he was involved in once, back at the mines. Then, all he had was fists and clothes. And no pants. He'd lost them at the gaming table. At least this time he had a staff and some armor.
He laughs at the memory, and, still laughing, thrusts his staff into the belly of one of the on-rushing clansmen.

The clansman tries to dodge the thrust, and manages to deflect it partially off course. But partially was not enough. The impact penetrates the armor and almost fells him in a single blow.
[Damage penetrating the armor = 5 points]
Almost, but not quite. After taking the blow, the clansman is still upright and his attacker is in front of him.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
"Honour for House Vantri" Laton shouts and attacks the nearest clansman, mace swinging in a high arc and and burying itself in the clansmans' head with a sickening crunch. He deftly knees his horse and it moves away from the combat, giving him room to maneuver.

OOC: Attack 4+2B (1 mace 1 mounted) :four degrees of success= 12 dmg, -5 armor = 7 dmg. move 8 yards

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post
Jacelynn had never really heard a man die before. Not violently. Not in battle. Over the din of the joined battle though, she heard a deep roar waver and change to pitched wail as Ser Jarl's lance pierced the Blood Goat's chest. Thankfully it ends quickly, or at least is drowned out by pounding hooves, battle cries, and the clang of steel on steel.

With a a silent thankful prayer to the Mother and the Warrior for all the House Vantri and House Corbray men around, she holds her sword defensively in front of her, a scared young maid as a last line of defense for her goodsister.

Although the clansmen's charge is savage, it is met with calm experience.

She sees the young blacksmith slam his staff into a clansman's belly, but though staggered, the Blood Goat keeps his feet, and tries to fell the boy in front of him like an old pine, while another swings for his head.

Instinctively, the young maid turns her head, praying good fortune for him. The gods are not kind to her, as everywhere she looks, battle rages.

At the treeline, Jacelynn sees two scrawnier Blood Goat clansmen spinning their slings and cursing the knight who skewered their bulky companion.

Ser Laton's championing cry grabs her attention, and she sees the heir of House Vantri move away from the felled clansman. No, not felled. The savage brute tosses his smashed helmet aside, and part-staggers, part-charges after the young knight - defiantly continuing the fight that should have ended. On his heels, a more alert clansman follows cautiously, evidently using his enraged companion as fodder.

OOC: Boy, Christmas really does a kicking to my posting rate. Sorry about that.

For those who didn't respond to the last update, the current status of your skirmishes are "vague". And by that, I mean they'll be cleared up when necessary - either by you responding, someone else attempting to interact with you, or by the combat ending and fiat deciding where you're at.

Got some rolls vs Roy, Ser Jarl, and Ser Laton coming up, and results will be edited in here.

Vs Roy - Calculated Roy's combat defense as 9 (3 Agility, 5 Athletics, 3 Awareness, -2 Hard Leather), for two hits of 1 success each, 2 damage each, reduced to 0 by the hard leather's armor rating.

Vs Jarl - Two stones clatter off his shield

Vs Laton - Hit with 1 success (forgot the -1 from his injury, but a 9 still hits), 4 damage (assuming you don't ride around in full plate; if you do, then it'd be reduced to 0)

You guys can narrate the effects of the attacks on you.

Game stuff:
My understanding is that pulling the lance free is a free action as part of the charge.
Big clansman... oh so dead.
Clansman vs Roy - hurt, but standing. Second clansman vs Roy - unharmed
Clansman vs Laton - takes an injury, reduces damage by Endurance (2), still up with 1 health, takes a -1 penalty to all rolls. Second clansman - aiding first

Health: 6 (Clansman 1 vs Roy is at 1/6, Clansman 5 vs Laton is at 1/6 with 1 injury)[/sblock]

Last edited:

muggie2

First Post
Roy rotates his neck slightly, still laughing, as he looks at the two clansmen. The one he'd hit had managed a nice shot to his side, and the one he'd been unable to hit had put in a nice head shot. On him, in mere hard leather. Okay, he'd been able to twist his body to avoid most of the damage, but still. He'd survived!

That was a good enough reason to laugh, even if it wasn't also unsettling the clansmen. That was a bonus. He moves toward the clansman he'd hit before, then turns and swings the quarterstaff hard at the other clansman, who'd started to go for the shot. Sucker! This was just the way it had gone in tavern brawls back at the mines except here he could use his strength. Nobody ever expected a big guy like him to be fast or clever.

He swings... and scores a solid hit on the second clansman, who was obviously not expecting it. It hits with a meaty thwack.
[3 degrees of success, 10 points of damage after subtracting armor]
He steps back and rotates to smile at the first, already battered clansman.

Last edited:

Ser Jarl raises his shield from the oncoming barrage. The rocks thud against the wood of his shield. "Someone cut that sellsword loose!" he barks, thinking that keeping Agorn tied up isn't worth other dying. Looking around, the knight sees Ser Laton and Roy outnumbered. Ignoring the slingers, Ser Jarl charges the Blood Goat hiding behind the injured one.

OOC: Four degree of success vs. Blood Goat = 40 damage - 5 for leather armor = 35 net damage.
Ser Jarl holds on to the lance, and removes it with two degrees of success, inflicting an additional 8 damage.

The Blood Goat turns to the sound of hooves in time to Ser Jarl spear him. With a twist, Ser Jarl frees his lance, glowering at the remaining clansmen.

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post

THINK YOU IDIOT
This is a battle, not a tourney.
Always make sure your enemy is dead before turning your back on him.

The axe head hits the upper legplate with a resounding clang, leaving a bruise but nothing more.

And never take your helm off

The backhand swing takes the clansman full in the face but continues onwards, showering ser Jarl in a crimson rain of teeth and small bone fragments.

"Vantri for Honor!"

He maneuvers his horse to get a clear overview of battle.

OOC: 3 degrees of succes= 9 dmg -5 armor - 2 toughness = 2 damage
He's wearing half-plate, which is something wearable on a horse when you're in hostile territory. He doesn't have full plate, and wouldn't wear that unless certain of battle.

Lesser action attack, lesser action look around and make a tactical survey. If he believes the attack can be repulsed without freeing the sellsword, he will counterdemand his uncle's orders.

Last edited:

Remove ads