• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Assassin, Battlemind, and Vampire

mudlock

First Post
Edit: It should perhaps be noted that you couldn't do exactly what I said for one fairly stupid reason - Vorpal Falchions / Daggers.

Vorpal is heavy blade or axe; so no need to worry about daggers, but you forgot glaive ;)

(I'll note that the last combo of powers that allowed for a brutal 3 (an artificier paragon path if I recall) got erratted quite promptly.)

keterys

First Post
Well, it looks like what I said is already a possibility for assassins, so who am I to argue?
Guild Executioner:
"Executioner's Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack and you roll a 1, 2, or 3 on any damage die associated with that attack (including extra damage from assassin’s strike or critical hit dice), that die instead deals 4 damage."

mudlock

First Post
Well, it looks like what I said is already a possibility for assassins, so who am I to argue?
Guild Executioner:
"Executioner's Action (11th level): When you spend an action point to make an attack and you roll a 1, 2, or 3 on any damage die associated with that attack (including extra damage from assassin’s strike or critical hit dice), that die instead deals 4 damage."

This is not quite as powerful/good as "brutal 3" though; it's not a reroll, it's a flat 4, which means vorpal wouldn't trigger on a d4 (because you didn't roll the maximum value for the die).

erleni

First Post
In our game we tried this fix for the O-ssassin:

1) You can use Assassin's shroud one time more per round as a minor action

2) Bracers of assassination are now a feature of the assassin. The 19-20 crit range applies from 11th level and the 18-20 range from 21st.

This seems to work pretty well.

keterys

First Post
This is not quite as powerful/good as "brutal 3" though; it's not a reroll, it's a flat 4, which means vorpal wouldn't trigger on a d4 (because you didn't roll the maximum value for the die).
Right - I'm just saying to do my suggestion for minimum damage with shrouds the same safe way :)

Tying in the bracers effect automatically and being able to minor for another shroud sounds fun too.

Personally I kinda like the idea of the Executioner chassis but with shrouds, too.

ravenheart

Explorer
Now I haven't DMed or played an Assassin, but from reading what people have said, I think I would probably change one thing.

Assassin shrouds no longer target an enemy, and instead are a self-buff you can choose to use when you attack. This way it doesn't matter if your desired target dies, as you still have the shrouds to use on a different enemy. This can be flavored as the assassin drawing out his shadow-self to empower his attack or something similar.

I might also use the "4d12 damage for four shrouds", too, though I don't have experience with their damage and whether its low or not.

See, I was going to say just about the same thing. A self-buffing power that can be used once per round and released upon attacking an enemy (dealing damage regardless of hit or miss, as an effect). To avoid abuse of buffing before fights the shrouds could backlash if the assassin doesn't make an attack or willingly dismisses them. Also, if they are not released or dismissed after one round they fade - unless another shroud is added or an attack is made. Then you could have a defensive feat that releases them upon an enemy attacking and/or damaging the assassin as a defensive measure.

Battleminds really need a CON-based MBA, and maybe a greater reach for Mind Spike (melee 5 maybe).

Vampires are just plain tricky. Maybe some form of Aura effect to represent their unnatural and eerie presence? Like lowering enemy defenses or auto damage to enemies that make melee attacks against the vampire?

Remove ads