Assassin Preview at Gencon

Final Attack

First Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
The game has a combat system. Some of us like understanding it. Also, I like math.

Seconded.

Roleplay snobbery aside, I’m looking forward to the Assassin release, especially if it works well with the Reverent (sp?). I like the idea of the big nova round. Also I think it encourages scouting! If the assassin can get close to his foes, study them for half a minute, then he can dive out from the bushes and hit the first target with 4 shrouds!

I always like scouting, but the party is always against it because one of a few things happen –
1. Unsuccessfully scout ahead and get snotted by the bad guys
2. Scout ahead, but need to wait for party anyway because going it alone is a bad idea.
Chances are the party is ALWAYS noticed because of the heavy armour, 10 dex, guy who yells profanities as soon as he sees anything he has filed away in his head as evil.

Turtlejay

First Post
I think the earlier statement about the ideal shroud waiting time being 2 rounds may have been in terms of benefit gained. Waiting that extra turn really benefits you, where as waiting 2 more terms risks your target dying, running away, or somthing similar (you dying, running away). I came to the same conclusion when I examined the numbers (excellent job, btw). 2 rounds seems to be the 'safe' length of time. For tough combatants, or in other situations, 4 rounds is clearly ideal.

Jay

Thundershield

First Post
I think the earlier statement about the ideal shroud waiting time being 2 rounds may have been in terms of benefit gained. Waiting that extra turn really benefits you, where as waiting 2 more terms risks your target dying, running away, or somthing similar (you dying, running away). I came to the same conclusion when I examined the numbers (excellent job, btw). 2 rounds seems to be the 'safe' length of time. For tough combatants, or in other situations, 4 rounds is clearly ideal.

Jay
Exactly. That's what's so interesting about the Assassin; you can't always reliably put 4 shrouds on your target and then strike. Sometimes you might not want to get close to your prey (aura or exposing yourself to too much danger) or be incapable of doing so (dazed or stunned or immobilized too far from your prey - Shadow Step can only get you so far), and then you're wasting time and/or DpR.

There's also the deal with overkill. Imagine you just built up 4 shrouds on a target, only to see your Warlock's 3-point damage aura pick him off and expose it as the minion he was. This depends on game transparency, of course, but not all DMs have their minions run around with signs above their heads. The same goes for standards and elites, and even solo monsters.

So it's you making a tactical decision if you want to build up 4 shrouds for maximum output, or play it safe and go with fewer shrouds at a time. That's what I mean by interesting gameplay; giving the player tactical and interesting choices.

Jack99

Adventurer
Why is it that every thread these days derails into DPR calculations?!
What's wrong with you guys? No longer get to actually roleplay?

I think I need a vacation. soon.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The game has a combat system. Some of us like understanding it. Also, I like math.

Guys, chill, there is more than enough room for both type of players in this thread.

Remove ads