• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Astral Plane and Spell Durations

RuminDange

First Post
I came across an interesting question this week during game concerning spell durations of non-instantaneous spells on the astral plane. Situation was thought about while a PC with a mind blank cast on him was trapped with no way out after his portable hole was destroyed sucking him into the astral was waiting for the spell to wear off so that another character could locate him and open a Gate to retrieve him. :]
Since the Astral Plane is timeless does that mean spells that do not have an instantaneous duration are affectivity permanent as stated under the description of Timeless in the Manual of the Planes under the descriptions of the various planar traits?
The actual description of the Timeless trait for the astral plane says nothing about durations only hunger, age, and thirst and being retroactive upon leaving the astral.

I have done searches here, WOTC and anywhere I can think of but have found nothing really discussing this subject or even stating the actual rule as written on it. So I figured I would see what everyone thought.

Thanks,
RD

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Part of the Timeless planar trait description says, "if a plane is timeless with respect to magic, any spells cast with a noninstantaneous duration are permanent until dispelled." I've bolded the important bit.

As you point out, the description of timelessness on the Astral refers only to age, hunger, thirst, poison, nad natural healing. It does not appear to be "timeless with respect to magic," therefore spell durations expire normally.

CyberSpyder

First Post
With that said, it's kind of odd to think about a plane being partially timeless. There would be a fairly good argument for saying that it would have permanent durations, as well.

UltimaGabe

First Post
CyberSpyder said:
With that said, it's kind of odd to think about a plane being partially timeless. There would be a fairly good argument for saying that it would have permanent durations, as well.

However, even the fact that a plane might be timeless in regards to magic can still be broken down further. What I mean is this- if you're going to say that spell durations are permanent, don't you also have to say that you can't prepare new spells, since as far as magic is concerned, no time has passed? After all, saying that you could still prepare new spells would make that plane only one-quarter timeless.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
UltimaGabe said:
After all, saying that you could still prepare new spells would make that plane only one-quarter timeless.
Not to mention that the buff situation could get really out of hand, if you could spend a few days using all your spell slots on defenses and enhancements.

RuminDange

First Post
CyberSpyder said:
This was the way I was kinda of leaning on the issue since it would make the most sense.

RD

RuminDange

First Post
UltimaGabe said:
However, even the fact that a plane might be timeless in regards to magic can still be broken down further. What I mean is this- if you're going to say that spell durations are permanent, don't you also have to say that you can't prepare new spells, since as far as magic is concerned, no time has passed? After all, saying that you could still prepare new spells would make that plane only one-quarter timeless.

Interesting thought on it. That does bring in a lot of questions concerning those creatures that live and exist there.
What do they do to recover spells or spell-like abilities?
I guess the short answer would be leave the astral for a time to recover, then that brings in a interesting thought on the creatures that age or grow hungry retroactive, unless this also explains why most don't.
Good thought provoking ideas.

RD

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
this is the very question i wrestled with when i was running an astral adventure. especially with regards to spell duration and recovery of spells.

Remove ads